Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Story In Irish Racing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

2 of the flat horses he would have been on are 9st5 so he must be a bit heavier than last year. Pity for him that he has these weight issues because he'd get a far greater thrill riding on the flat than on the jumps for his father, unless he eventually gets the type of horses Willie Mullins has.

Joseph is just too heavy at the moment to ride on the flat. That's the only reason.

Also been told that this "big" story isn't much and seems to be a PR stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and get it chopped off. Young master O'Brien to take over riding J.P's horses when A.P. retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Are we sure that its a big story with good or bad in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Meant to be a whistle blower about the shoes story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I don't think Today FM would be recommending anyone to watch the late late show unless they had something to gain from it.

John Duggan's voice also wasn't as serious as it normally is so it's something lighthearted.

Anton Savage to go on some reality tv jockey show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

BTH wrote: »
    Tonight's guests on the Late Late?? Calum Best, Alan Rickman, Louis Walsh and Sex and the City star Kim Cattral. Massive equine story about to break? I think it's fairly obvious where this is going...... Good old horse face herself is coming out!!!

Louis Walsh reveals that he's Ruby's real father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

For those amongst us that speak Zulu or Swahili they'l understand when I say,
    "alo a non indaba inani" or "jumla yake yasiyo hadithi". in other words, its a total non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

its probably that everyone in the audience gets tickets to the Irish National

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

If this alleged breaking news was anyway breaking news it would not be covered up for the last 48 hours. Breaking news generally breaks as it happens. There's no story here at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

"The Racing Post can reveal that there is no huge racing story going to break on The Late Late Show on RTE 1 tonight."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

NOTHING to see here - well, not the ground-breaking news that so many racing fans in Ireland are anticipating anyway.

Twitter went into meltdown on Thursday night after Today FM's sports editor John Duggan announced on The Last Word with Matt Cooper that there would be ground-breaking racing news on The Late Late Show on Friday night.

Bambury Bookmakers even assembled a market on what the story would be, making Ruby Walsh retiring the 9-4 favourite. The rumour mill was working overtime after the announcement as racing folk tried to find out the big news and outlandish theories were bandied about.

However, the Racing Post can reveal that there is no huge racing story going to break on The Late Late Show on RTE 1 tonight.

"John's big announcement on The Last Word yesterday evening was all part of teaser activity we've been running over the last few days," said Roisin Reilly, marketing director for the popular radio station.

"Listeners to the station would have heard a lot of horse related stuff recently and it will all become obvious tonight. The full story will appear on Today FM later today," she added.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    To take a different tack, and as we're all just speculating here ............could this maybe be Ballydoyle related?

Aidan quitting to go back to the jumping game, possibly due to some sort of Joseph vs Coolmore rift??

Joseph will be hurdling in Limerick instead of The Curragh on Sunday, as per At The Races. Moore is riding Baldoyle horses

Not a surprise mind, we knew it would come one day, though, Joey is down to ride for Baldoyle later in the season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Today FM have bought a horse I reckon, probably trained by ted Walsh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

This marketing bollocks is enough reason never to turn on Today FM again.

As for the Joseph O'Brien thing, 'A little bit heavy at the moment', is a worrying statement. You'd wonder what's being done to keep the chap's weight down. Should be focusing on the jumps for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Denman2008

"Ryan Moore understood to be taking a significantly increased role at Ballydoyle"

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Denman2008 wrote: »
    "Ryan Moore understood to be taking a significantly increased role at Ballydoyle"

Like Music to my Ears. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great move, Moore is streets ahead of any other jockey out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's actually a farcical situation that the worlds pre-eminent flat racing operation has no clue who their number one stable jockey is going into the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

Joseph will be hurdling in Limerick instead of The Curragh on Sunday, as per At The Races. Moore is riding Baldoyle horses

that's pretty much it - Joe has one ride for Aidan for JP McManus in Limerick alright - mebbe he's getting the retainer for JP??

and Ryan Moore will be at the Curragh - 3 rides from the looks of it for Ballydoyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

evillive wrote: »
    that's pretty much it - Joe has one ride for Aidan for JP McManus in Limerick alright - mebbe he's getting the retainer for JP??

lol, he hasn't even ridden under NH rules, and you've already got him earmarked to take over the job of a 20 time champion jockey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Oooh FFS!!!

A fecking todayFM ad with a Horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Denman2008 wrote: »
    A bit too late for Australia.:(

Well fûck john Duggan anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

evillive wrote: »

and Ryan Moore will be at the Curragh - 3 rides from the looks of it for Ballydoyle
    Not for the first time, I go back to a post I made in June last year -

"The thing that intrigues me about Ballydoyle is the jockey arrangements in the short to medium term.

Today's Racing Post has a note on Joseph's mount in the 1st at Fairyhouse that there may be 2 lb overweight, thus repeating the pattern of last season where Joseph only did 9 stone at the weekends, consistently doing a minimum 9st 2lb midweek.

As he is still only 21 and probably still gaining weight, it may be that his long term future as a jockey is not on the flat, which leads me to believe that Aidan's recent clutch of NH horses is an attempt to find another Istabraaq with the medium term (3 to 4 year?) objective of providing a Cheltenham win, maybe in the Champion Hurdle, for Joseph before he retires as a jockey and takes up the role of assistant trainer to Aidan."

The plot thickens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

1. Lester Piggot to become stable jockey at Ballydoyle
    2. Sadler's Wells cloned
    3. Aidan O'Brien does not have best ever horse
    4. No drugs in Irish horse racing shocker
    5. The Curragh to switch to National Hunt racing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Today FM have bought a horse I reckon, probably trained by ted Walsh!
    Hope he will be sporting them aul "now you see em now you don't" shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

I don't know how today fm think that ad / the big spoof was gona do them any favours! Only a joke fair enough but getting stung into watching tubirdy and that other clown for half an hour! Not impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

pugw wrote: »
    I don't know how today fm think that ad / the big spoof was gona do them any favours! Only a joke fair enough but getting stung into watching tubirdy and that other clown for half an hour! Not impressed

you mean you didnt tune out after the today FM ad? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

Cant believe ive just sat through 2 hours of that pile of s***e to hear nothing. F**k today fm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Does Joseph need a different licence to ride under NH rules, specifically over jumps? I remember a load of brouhaha when one of the top flat guys, possibly Fallon, rode in the Cheltenham bumper in the early 00's and what had to happen to make that happen at the time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement