Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The X-Files - Season 10 & 11 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

the original x-files is a classic show with some outstanding episodes. It might not be for everyone but you'd would be missing out if you never give it a try.

I'll give season 1 a few episodes at the least.

The truth is out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Well episode 2 watched, so far, not so good if you ask me.
    I am kinda lost between the episode 1 and episode 2
    No idea what happened in between, it is like episode 1 never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I thought this was going to be a 6 part serialised story and not standalone episodes. Which is why episode 1 threw me when they were slowly building a plan then suddenly everything gets taken away. I expected the plan to play out over coming episodes with back and forth between the government and the agents.
    Then with episode 2, the way they built up the doctor/Founder at the beginning I thought there was something about him like he wasn't real or something. Then Scully and Mulder get to meet him no problem and there's nothing really mysterious about him

I thought this was going to be a 6 part serialised story and not standalone episodes. Which is why episode 1 threw me when they were slowly building a plan then suddenly everything gets taken away. I expected the plan to play out over coming episodes with back and forth between the government and the agents.
    Then with episode 2, the way they built up the doctor/Founder at the beginning I thought there was something about him like he wasn't real or something. Then Scully and Mulder get to meet him no problem and there's nothing really mysterious about him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Only just seen episode 1.

First few minutes before the credits may as well have been an intro to a Naked Gun movie with the photos flopping down.

Jeff Winger as a right wing / alien conspiracist nut was weird and didn't fit but I get the point that to jump the story really quickly you needed an excuse, so have a really rich guy to cover the holes.

The thread hasn't been to spoilery so far so put my Qs in brackets just in case:
    Did Scully go on a date or have a thing with Jeff Winger? Sipping champers in his limo after he says, I actually came to see you?

Why did those military guys blow up the ARV?

Was it actually an ARV or was the Faraday cage there to hold it, or just to hide it? Also, having no idea of the minimum spec of a Faraday cage for ETs ride, did it not look like regular fencing?

Why did they use an ARV to blow up that girl?

Did the CSM not die by being hit with a rocket along time ago?

What was with the constant questions to Mulder abot how did you get here and him saying he hitch hiked? Is there an in joke, is that the in joke?

For all my complaints, and it was not a good episode or good TV, and I hated the first half, it was the X files and by the end of it, I had been sucked in, I presume due to nostalgia, or maybe the second half was a wee bit better but I can't in good conscience call it good TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

So, it's a difficult one. Not an example of the show's strong suit, certainly. Better in individual moments than as a whole. I've not read any professional reviews in full yet, general vibe is negative in some quarters, I'll find the specifics when I do some reading. Ordinarily, I take notes during some of the shows I watch now, I didn't do that back in the day with TXF and I put down my notepad after a while tonight. In one respect I don't feel like I've a lot to say, and that's not a great sign. Considering the TV we watch now, and the show's original energy, parts of this felt a little jaded.

Here's the thing, though. Watching the show in the 2010s is weird. Very weird - even if it does pay for bulletproof limos.

I make no apology for grinning like a loon at the start and once the credits kicked in, and towards the end.

Aliens explode cars now, the bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭hotshots85

CramCycle wrote: »
    Only just seen episode 1.

First few minutes before the credits may as well have been an intro to a Naked Gun movie with the photos flopping down.

Jeff Winger as a right wing / alien conspiracist nut was weird and didn't fit but I get the point that to jump the story really quickly you needed an excuse, so have a really rich guy to cover the holes.

The thread hasn't been to spoilery so far so put my Qs in brackets just in case:
    Did Scully go on a date or have a thing with Jeff Winger? Sipping champers in his limo after he says, I actually came to see you?

Why did those military guys blow up the ARV?

Was it actually an ARV or was the Faraday cage there to hold it, or just to hide it? Also, having no idea of the minimum spec of a Faraday cage for ETs ride, did it not look like regular fencing?

Why did they use an ARV to blow up that girl?

Did the CSM not die by being hit with a rocket along time ago?

What was with the constant questions to Mulder abot how did you get here and him saying he hitch hiked? Is there an in joke, is that the in joke?

For all my complaints, and it was not a good episode or good TV, and I hated the first half, it was the X files and by the end of it, I had been sucked in, I presume due to nostalgia, or maybe the second half was a wee bit better but I can't in good conscience call it good TV.

Almost exactly how I was, every time my brain started questioning stuff or spotting ropey acting or cheese levels at 110%, my 90's kid brain kicked and said "shut the hell up and it's THE X FILES AGAIN!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm not sure what to make of it...I guess 2016 is a different generation and lifetime in a way to when the show was at it's peak. As touched on in the show to believe in aliens now makes you a laughing stock, back then you could have a legit argument about their existence...now the way technology has moved on it should be so easy for somebody to film something on their phone/security system etc it just debunks any argument to their existence and that is a loophole I felt the show couldn't fill.

Also, the beauty about the x-files is that we never really saw the aliens that much...the shows beauty was the chase and trying to find them. Seeing an alien straight off just kinda ruined it a bit for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Second episode was more like it.. solid bits of humour, occasionally dodgy SFX and healthy supply of gore. Though probably should ease up on pop references - ObamaCare, Edward Snowden etc.

Duchovny was far better and felt more like the Mulder we know and love..

More like that please!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

So I just didn't really like the first episode. I don't mind the complete jump in theory etc that much but it just didn't feel very X-Filesey, none of it. The pacing was odd, I think someone said nothing was given a chance to breathe, that's exactly it.

Episode 2 however felt much more like the real thing. I thought Mulder and Scully's interactions felt a lot more like they should. All round, I was just a lot happier with it. It's not perfect by any means but there was enough in it to keep me watching.

For the guy who has never watched the original series, watch season one. Do so before you go to bed, with the lights off. You will feel a bit freaked at times. Re-watched a lot of it last year and they still hold up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭brian_t

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'll give season 1 a few episodes at the least.

The truth is out there!

If you don't want to watch the entire series Den of Geek have a few suggested road-maps to follow.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-x-files/34322/the-x-files-an-episode-roadmap-for-beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I would argue to believe in aliens in 2016 makes more sense than ever given we know that planets exist around other stars and some of them are in the goldilock zone, even the Vatican who have an astronomy observation station don't rule out the possibility.

So back to the X files, I enjoyed it, it was my favourite program and it brings me back watching it, I don't care for reviews, I loved having it back.

This is what NASA has to say about aliens life:
    https://www.nasa.gov/content/finding-life-beyond-earth-is-within-reach
    Many scientists believe we are not alone in the universe. It's probable, they say, that life could have arisen on at least some of the billions of planets thought to exist in our galaxy alone -- just as it did here on planet Earth.

I tend to believe, and as Stephen Hawking has said, he believes it is dangerous sending messages into space as intelligent alien life could be hostile.

The X files probably makes more sense as a program more than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I just find it a bit silly. "they" are he'll bent on destroying what is quite a nice world so they can control you. They being the US government who control pretty much everything anyway. And reference to the government as a constant, ignoring the fact it changes every few years.

I was probably never going to enjoy it anyway seeing as I scoff at conspiracy theories

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what was that joel mchale said to Scully about wanting to see her again, is that what he said? will he be back?

what was that joel mchale said to mulder about wanting to see her again, is that what he said? will he be back?

He said that and then in the next scene she is sipping champagne in the back of his car, looking flustered/caught out when Mulder calls.

It was all abit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Anyone else notice in episode 2, that Planet of The Apes was playing on a tv in the background in one of the scenes (not sure which) and then Mulder was watching the apes in 2001 A Space Odyssey with his son on the tv. Wonder is this an easter egg. If so, what could it mean?

X Files is really a prequel to Planet of the Apes and it's the apes behind everything so they can take over?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

Loved the second episode and like many hear squealed with excitement hearing the original theme tune again. Really really hope there will be a longer series after this.
    One thing bugging me though........Mulders voice ? Has he gone through puberty or what :D
    It's soooooo much deeper

I just find it a bit silly. "they" are he'll bent on destroying what is quite a nice world so they can control you. They being the US government who control pretty much everything anyway.

They are not the US government though, thought that was pretty clear to me, or so I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

After reading previews by some sites already discrediting the reboot of xfiles I was worried they had made a mistake bringing it back. But boy was I wrong! Love the two episodes. The first was ropey at times but that was due to trying to justify mulder/Scully reunion with the xfiles. Second episode was classic xfiles. Really hope they reorder a full series after this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Saw the first episode last night and genuinely thought it was bloody awful! It was like an hour of lines from all the previous series being rabbited at me in a random fashion. A lot of it made little sense and the lab in Scully's hospital seriously needs to be looked into if it comes up with two completely different results when running the same test on the same sample.

I absolutely loved the X-Files, until it disappeared up its own backside in the latter stages. Only reports that it picks up are keeping me watching tonight.

the lab in Scully's hospital seriously needs to be looked into if it comes up with two completely different results when running the same test on the same sample.

I think the point was that the results were tampered with, so that they just sent back that the DNA was human. The implication being, the sample went back, but whoever had changed it, hadn't expected it to go back and never kept an eye out on it.

From a sciencey point of view, it was a bit stupid, it looked like a western blot, but then Scully said she got her whole genome sequenced.

First of all, she did in her eye get her whole genome sequenced without anyone saying, really, what for?

Secondly, what test could she have done to tell it was alien DNA in such a short space of time. Any tests that would even remotely be related to sequencing would be specific locus targets, and all that would happen was they wouldn't work or the PCR would look messed up. At which point the lab tech would have flagged that it wasn't working right and ask to send another sample.

Maybe she could have a specific locus with a human specific sequence, but all that would tell her is, no its not human or no, the PCR failed.

Not expecting perfection but that bit was very CSI like in its BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭hotshots85

I think the point was that the results were tampered with, so that they just sent back that the DNA was human. The implication being, the sample went back, but whoever had changed it, hadn't expected it to go back and never kept an eye out on it.

From a sciencey point of view, it was a bit stupid, it looked like a western blot, but then Scully said she got her whole genome sequenced.

First of all, she did in her eye get her whole genome sequenced without anyone saying, really, what for?

Secondly, what test could she have done to tell it was alien DNA in such a short space of time. Any tests that would even remotely be related to sequencing would be specific locus targets, and all that would happen was they wouldn't work or the PCR would look messed up. At which point the lab tech would have flagged that it wasn't working right and ask to send another sample.

Maybe she could have a specific locus with a human specific sequence, but all that would tell her is, no its not human or no, the PCR failed.

CPvqmPOWoAA--66.png

Shhhhhhh don't ruin it with logic....

My take was Scully actually said there was no alien DNA to shut them up as eh thought they were all going a bit far on a rant and she wanted them to drop it for their own sakes. She knew it was the key to their theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Ah, good thinking on the tampering. I know a bit about labs too and did think it too simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

RobertKK wrote: »
    I would argue to believe in aliens in 2016 makes more sense than ever given we know that planets exist around other stars and some of them are in the goldilock zone, even the Vatican who have an astronomy observation station don't rule out the possibility.

So back to the X files, I enjoyed it, it was my favourite program and it brings me back watching it, I don't care for reviews, I loved having it back.

This is what NASA has to say about aliens life:
    https://www.nasa.gov/content/finding-life-beyond-earth-is-within-reach

I tend to believe, and as Stephen Hawking has said, he believes it is dangerous sending messages into space as intelligent alien life could be hostile.

The X files probably makes more sense as a program more than ever.

It might be more credible that Aliens are out there, but let’s be honest, it's far less credible these days that they're here and not just here, but kidnapping hicks in Arkansas without ending up on YouTube courtesy of another hick with an iPhone.

The other problem with the show is that, culturally, the existential threats that our collective psyche cowered under the covers from have changed since the 90's. The X-Files was popular after the cold war had ended and economically things were looking up and so we looked outward for a threat. In these uncertain times it's Daesh and home grown, low tech terrorism that frightens people.
    Conspiracy theories are also out of favour. Frankly I suspect that people would be impressed with a government that could exert a degree of control amidst the anarchy of this world or cobble together a conspiracy theory that reddit users didn’t comprehensively uncover within a week..

One of the most depressing aspects of watching the Snowden documentary 'Citizen 4' was how big a difference all involved imagined his revelations would make and how little they actually did. 'The government are spying on us all!' they cried, collectively we shrugged and said, 'so what, we know. Even with all their surveillance powers chances are the government still know less about us then Facebook and Amazon'.
    What Snowden had failed to appreciate was just how much the concept of personal privacy has changed in a generation.

Chris Carter has become a bit of a George Lucas, somebody the needs badly to be kept at arms length from the cultural phenomenon of his own creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Hmm, I dunno how I feel about these two episodes. Like others have said, they feel like rush jobs (I literally had to slow my player down a fraction!). And the scripts are weak, nothing like the original series'. Weren't the original episodes longer aswell (i.e. closer to a hour?) these are like, 40 mins. Everything is just too....rushed. I feel the only person giving it credence is Anderson, she is still a terrific actress but the material she has to work with is an affront to her abilities, and to Dana Scully as a character (she NEVER would have said 'sons of b*tches' at the end of EP1!).

Still, the kid in me is absolutely delighted Mulder and Scully are back! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

conorhal wrote: »
    Chris Carter has become a bit of a George Lucas, somebody the needs badly to be kept at arms length from the cultural phenomenon of his own creation.

There is a little bit of that, yes. However, at the same time, I think some are inclined to overblame him and forget it was he who built the show and wrote very good episodes in the past, including the less traditional ones. I have interacted with one fan in the past who has a hatred for him/his work like you wouldn't believe. I don't have an issue with criticisms of his writing, but maybe it's time he was kept to largely in a consultant role. People love Darin Morgan's episodes, he's not exactly set on the world on fire since. Vince Gilligan who is not involved here is obviously another matter.

I've only seen the first episode. I didn't find it rushed, though I would have liked more a memorable character introduction for the Mulder in particular. What did bother me was the injection of visuals of conspiracy/globalisation/abduction, it was done a little too often in accompanying the dialogue, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Episode 2 was a lot better than episode 1.

Still has that feeling (I felt) that they're trying to fill in as much as they can (
    they didn't show us what happened to the brother and sister after their dad died, thought they could have tidied the story up a bit in the end
    )

On the lookout for a box set to buy atm and looking forward to watching in all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭aziz

Is it just me or is David duchovney starting to look more like Walter Matthau:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A definite improvement on all fronts: pacing was better, dialogue was less clunky, Anderson and Duchovny emoted more and seemed more comfortable. Occasional directing bits jarred (particularly the jump from Scully discovering the boy in the barn to him suddenly being put into the car). More like a standard episode-of-the-week so no classic but more like the original.
    Still not a big fan of the myth arc they're pulling out of their rear ends here (where it's now suddenly visible in every case).

Couple of small things:
    - The Vancouver casting pool struck here when there were two actors from 'Continuum' in this episode (or one from 'Arrow' if you don't watch 'Continuum').

- Horrible forced advert for a car's camera system. I hate it when producers shove this into a show as it takes you right out of the episode.

Advertisement