Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The X-Files - Season 10 & 11 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I enjoyed it.

Now I have to decide to watch it weekly or wait till the end of the month and binge it all together I'll watch episode two tonight and see how it is after that.

I enjoyed it.

Now I have to decide to watch it weekly or wait till the end of the month and binge it all together I'll watch episode two tonight and see how it is after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

I had read the negative reviews and I feared the worst but I really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

unjedilike wrote: »
    I had read the negative reviews and I feared the worst but I really enjoyed it

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

where can I watch this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I enjoyed it. However its been a while since I watched the old one and this seemed a little umm, simplified, non ambiguous, direct or ahh easy maybe.. I dunno but just straight into laying out this massive conspiracy with details handed to them like
    Mulder look at our replica of alien technology that the world doesnt know exists etc

Though I guess they needed something to draw them back and make them re-open the X files

Also was Scully always so devoid of emotion, maybe she was and I was younger and just took it as her being scientific and overlooked it cos she was hot in my teenage eyes but re meeting her for the first time in years now Im trying to remember why Mulder likes her so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can't get the idea of Jeff Winger scamming people out of money through conspiracies out of my head. Was kinda funny how little focus they gave to Skinner when he pops up. Just a brief mention and bang he's in the next scene without a second's pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

very rushed, there was a previous full season of reveals in that one episode

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nah. I really didn't like how Mulder abandoned decades of beliefs based on the testimony of one girl and a quick look at a ship. Didn't sit well given how much he's seen of the alien bounty hunters, other UFOs, hybrids, etc etc over the years. It's as if Carter wanted to try and get it out when, if he couldn't do it justice, he just should have left the conspiracy. Felt very clunky.

Hopefully the non-Carter stand alone episodes offer better material.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Have to agree with a lot of what people are saying: it was not a good episode of TV.

Every scene felt incredibly rushed, with awkward reaction shots, no sense of timing and with characters spouting clunky expositionary dialogue at a furious rate. Mulder's information overload monologue toward the end almost felt intentionally parodic - He rhymed off reams of information like a data processor. If he could rap as fast as he can outline conspiracies he'd top the charts.

No individual scene was given time to breathe - Take the conversation between Mulder and the old guy from Roswell; in that two minutes there isn't a single beat where they're not flying at breakneck pace through exposition, exposition, exposition. Early on in their chat, before they get really started, Mulder says he took precautions to make sure he wasn't followed, he presumes the geezer did the same, cue a quick insert shot of the oul fella looking at a passing plane. It would have been effective here at this point to give us just one extra second to contemplate the implications of that shot - you can never be to careful, yes, indeed conspiracies are everywhere, etc,etc... Instead we don't linger on it at all, before they start the 100 second dialogue dash to get to the end of the scene, it's like we can't even be afforded the time to think that thought. It didn't feel like a moment between two actual people: they were just basically props to fling words at you.

This feeling of a mad rush permeates nearly everything. Did you ever watch a show or a movie after you've had a few drinks? A few drinks to get you to the halfway to being pissed stage - where you can still follow things and it isn't all jumbled mess, but it all goes by a bit quickly if you’re watching something, like the experience is nearly on fast-forward. Well, this episode felt like this and I was stone-cold sober.

Maybe, as some people have said, this was a clear the decks episode: trying to get all the baggage out of the way before starting some new and hopefully less rushed story arc. But I'm not sure, aside from the sheer speed and clunkiness of it all it was filled with really some just outright dumb moments - Mulder completely changing his mind, over the course of seemingly one night, about everything he's believed in for his whole life- what? Why was no-one protecting Svetlana if she was so crucial? How is she driving around by the episodes end if everyone in the NWO views her as an asset and our friends need her too?

I'll give it another few episodes but there's a lot of code reds already flashing loud and clear. While it was good in and of itself to see Mulder and Scully again I don't think everyone was as interested as they should have been: Duchovny seemed terrifically uninterested throughout, his emotionless performance stunk of a man dying to pick up a pay-check. Gillian Anderson was probably the best thing about the whole episode, but that's not a surprise; she’s always been a class act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ixoy wrote: »
    Nah. I really didn't like how Mulder abandoned decades of beliefs based on the testimony of one girl and a quick look at a ship. Didn't sit well given how much he's seen of the alien bounty hunters, other UFOs, hybrids, etc etc over the years. It's as if Carter wanted to try and get it out when, if he couldn't do it justice, he just should have left the conspiracy. Felt very clunky.
    a lot in it, but he didn't abandon his belief he just said there hasn't been any new alien visits for a while? didn't he?, did they suggest that aliens have never purposely landed on earth only occasionally hovered over or crashed?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, this just didn't do it for me..

.. don't get me wrong, seeing the old titles and hearing the theme was a nice burst of nostalgia, but it did feel a little rushed and of very little substance.

Plus I always loved Duchovny in this role.. Hank Moody was good and all but Mulder's one liners were one thing I remember fondly from when the shot was in it's prime. Duchovny seemed to be phoning this performance in.. unfortunate!

I'm hoping for better from tonight's episode.. a few MOTW episodes wouldn't go amiss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I enjoyed it, yeah I didn't mind the crazy conspiracy stuff, that's always been crazy lol, but the pacing was the biggest issue. There was simply too much dialogue exposition, and had to be crammed into the 42 minutes. An extended-length episode of 50 minutes would have helped enormously. But it's great to have the duo back on our screens, and while the quality needs to be a lot more polished, it already makes up for that lacklustre movie from 2008 when we last saw them together. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I enjoyed it and will watch the rest of the episodes. Did think Mulder talked too much - as other have said they were trying to fit in as much as possible.

Clip of the second episode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

And another thing in its defence, it was all about them getting back into the X files. Clunky as it was, I didn't need much of an excuse hahha. Episode 2 looks like it's about them getting properly stuck into a paranormal case and investigating it in the field etc, which for me was my favourite aspect of the show. Here's the trailer, it's class:

http://youtu.be/k4wUAi40XTc
    Edit: sorry I can't seem to post a link that allows you to watch the vid directly within the forum, apologies! The link above takes you to it at least. :)
    Final edit: oh I finally did it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

It did feel very rushed but it is a mini-series after all. I enjoyed it.

Gillian Anderson has certainly aged better that David Duchovny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Gillian Anderson has certainly aged better than David Duchovny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I just couldn't get over Gillian Anderson's face, she looks terrible and must have spent a fortune on Botox and plastic surgery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Dandelion6 wrote: »

Gillian Anderson has certainly aged better than David Duchovny.

Shes 8 years younger

That was good old fashioned monster of the week episode.

Duchovny & Anderson seemed a bit more in tune with the characters in episode 2.

• Advertisement

That was good old fashioned monster of the week episode.

Duchovny & Anderson seemed a bit more in tune with the characters in episode 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pity it's only 6 episodes. Bound to be a certain amount of rushing through material. Even 10 episodes would have allowed it a bit more time to breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was expecting Episode 1 to be a terrible shítshow based on all the bad press but it really wasn't that bad, an average X-Files episode really and you have to take on board that they had 40-odd minutes to get everybody up to speed / pull in some new viewers.

Still, having watched the series and only finished it a few days ago it was weird to see eveyone suddenly age 13 years...............except for Skinner, who looks the almost the same bar his little grey beard :pac:

Was great to see Mulder go on another conspiracy rant though, the show really did go to shít when he wasn't around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Was expecting Episode 1 to be a terrible shítshow based on all the bad press but it really wasn't that bad, an average X-Files episode really and you have to take on board that they had 40-odd minutes to get everybody up to speed / pull in some new viewers.

Still, having watched the series and only finished it a few days ago it was weird to see eveyone suddenly age 13 years...............except for Skinner, who looks the almost the same bar his little grey beard :pac:

Was great to see Mulder go on another conspiracy rant though, the show really did go to shít when he wasn't around.

Me too, I thought it was brilliant comeback episode. They got everything in there for everyone. Very fast, almost too fast but I really enjoyed it. Skinner does (stupid spell check) not look his age at all! I was expecting it to be terrible since all those reviews said it was for the past couple weeks all over the place.

Won't get to watch episode 2 till Thursday, so, everybody on here, PLEASE use *spoiler* tags, please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It was a bit rushed, David almost seemed like he had something to do after filming and wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible. He looks wrecked too.

I didn't mind all that, They didn't need to go back over everything and have a slow burner. The only reason to bring the show back is if something changed, there was new information or evidense to look at and the show got straight into that, it's put its cards on the table and lets get on with it.

I kind of like the new twist, it's playing to it's audience and keeping up with current conspiracy theory trends. So I imagine it's going to feed a thousand nut cases who'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb looking for hidden messages which I'm sure the makers have placed around the show in abundance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

though Ep2 was better, the pacing just seemed more on point. Maybe I was a bit harsh on Scully calling her emotionless and with the content of the show you can see why but it was actually very odd to see her smile in that dream type sequence

Really feels like a pity its going to be such a short run of episodes, next one sounds like fun esp from Mulders description of them looking for a
    "man sized horned lizard with human teeth"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Watched episode 1

Mulders look is on purpose since he is supposed to be depressed since X-Files closed and has been living as a recluse for a while. His look in the next episodes according to previews watched, greatly improves.

I was surprised at the acting though, geez that face to face at the house between Mulder and Scully was some really lame acting.

Some of the dialogs were way too much as well, this new world order crap, all the pictures and Mulder talking non stop, that was bad I think.

Now Mulder thinks there is no ET but that humans organised everything (Abductions, fake UFO etc). Well a little streched don't you think? Given the discoveries they made over the years in the show, why would they make him think that?

I really hope they come up with some good stories because it is going to be boring otherwise. Still I was happy to see the show and the actors back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

bmstuff wrote: »
    Some of the dialogs were way too much as well, this new world order crap, all the pictures and Mulder talking non stop, that was bad I think.
    Because aliens are so last century, the show is quite literally tapping into the current conspiracy theories. Just head over to the boards conspiracy forum and you'd assume the writers of the show got most of their ideas from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Watching the new episode now. Never watched x files before as I was a kid back then. Are the old episodes worth downloading? Would they be outdated now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Watching the new episode now. Never watched x files before as I was a kid back then. Are the old episodes worth downloading? Would they be outdated now?

the original x-files is a classic show with some outstanding episodes. It might not be for everyone but you'd would be missing out if you never give it a try.

Advertisement