Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The X-Files - Season 10 & 11 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do you think ? Maybe I was getting bored with anyway by that stage anyway.

I might go watch the last season to try figure out at what point I stopped watching and give it a go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SmJUBT5q0

Longer trailer here with a different introduction

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Some of it looks great, some of it looks dodgy as hell.

I know I am going to love it but I hope it's because it's good rather than nostalgia dulling my mind.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CramCycle wrote: »
    Some of it looks great, some of it looks dodgy as hell.

There were reports of it coming across as cheesy as feck. Some of the early footage had the heads in Fox fuming it came across completely OTT almost like a parody of itself.

Hopefully some reshoots and editing will work wonders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Loughc wrote: »
    There were reports of it coming across as cheesy as feck. Some of the early footage had the heads in Fox fuming it came across completely OTT almost like a parody of itself.

There were bits with Duchovny that looked like the cutting room floor of Evolution. This is my fear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Looks like the cigarette man is going to be in it judging by the hand at the very end. Last time we saw him he was incapacitated and smoking through a tube in his troat! Maybe I'm overthinking it haha!

I thought the last we seen of him was him taking one final drag of a cigarette before an RPG fired from a helicopter ended him no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It looks to me that he's in a scene from a flashback as there's another scene with soldiers looking like they're a few decades back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Myrddin wrote: »
    I thought the last we seen of him was him taking one final drag of a cigarette before an RPG fired from a helicopter ended him no?

Yep.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    It looks to me that he's in a scene from a flashback as there's another scene with soldiers looking like they're a few decades back.

Maybe the 1940s (Roswell?), which could tie in the early days of the CSM, assuming the military and his presence are linked.
    Loughc wrote: »

Haven't heard that specifically. Did hear that some critics seemed fairly meh when a clip was shown a few weeks ago. I linked to it here. The recent trailer is a very network cut together one, if this were a cable show it'd be more arty and pretentious. :pac: I have heard Fox are very happy with the dailies that have been coming through, so fingers crossed.

Here is a daily from back in the day.

There is a showing of the first episode
    'My Struggle'
    at the upcoming New York Comic Con. Carter and Duchovny will be doing a Q&A. I'm assuming it may be rough around the edges as it's only October. Sort of want to read about it, but don't want to know too much.

In terms of the mytharc vs. MOTW/standalones, that's a debate that'll never end.

Yep you're right actually...it's the same scene but I forgot he was taken out with the helicopter!

Yep you're right actually...it's the same scene but I forgot he was taken out with the helicopter!

I only know that because I'm currently nearing the end of a full run-through of all seasons, & it's in one of the clips of dvd menus :o I've seen them before, but my memory isn't that good! I will say this, Season 9 is awful :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I will say this, Season 9 is awful :(

This is a common complaint. I've to confess to not watching it since 2002, but I think 9 never stood much of a chance. It was post-Mulder and Scully-lite, moving to embrace Doggett and Reyes pretty much full time. Not necessarily experimental in terms of content, but I think once you've some upheaval in the characters in a long running show you're bound to have some kinks. And tbf, I am someone who thought the series finale was very poor. Also, a show like this was in a weird place post-September 11th, questioning the government become seriously uncool.

This is a common complaint. I've to confess to not watching it since 2002, but I think 9 never stood much of a chance. It was post-Mulder and Scully-lite, moving to embrace Doggett and Reyes pretty much full time. Not necessarily experimental in terms of content, but I think once you've some upheaval in the characters in a long running show you're bound to have some kinks. And tbf, I am someone who thought the series finale was very poor. Also, a show like this was in a weird place post-September 11th, questioning the government become seriously uncool.

I do think the latter seasons could never really live up to the first few and therefore have a poor reputation on account. Personally, having watched only a handful of episodes when the x-files was popular I bought the season 8 boxset on a whim a few years ago and started watching it from there. (First episode was Doggett meeting Scully I think).

I must say I loved it. I thought there was a fantastic story arc to it and the backstory to Doggett was really interesting. I was coming from a place where I hadn't seen the previous seasons so my expectations weren't sky high. Having watched the earlier seasons I think it's almost still hard to comprehend how ahead of the curve the show was.

I do think the latter seasons could never really live up to the first few and therefore have a poor reputation on account. Personally, having watched only a handful of episodes when the x-files was popular I bought the season 8 boxset on a whim a few years ago and started watching it from there. (First episode was Doggett meeting Scully I think).

I must say I loved it. I thought there was a fantastic story arc to it and the backstory to Doggett was really interesting. I was coming from a place where I hadn't seen the previous seasons so my expectations weren't sky high. Having watched the earlier seasons I think it's almost still hard to comprehend how ahead of the curve the show was.

I enjoyed Season 8 myself, I liked Doggett (bit of a Robert Patrick fan from his T2 days), & while Gish wasn't up to Andersons level, I thought the dynamic worked well enough. Season 9 though immediately struggled, and with an episode called Jump The Shark, I think it was clear to everyone that the writers spent so much time wrapping themselves in knots that the show kinda ground to a halt. I'm looking forward to finishing up, as thus far the final season has been a real slog.

I enjoyed Season 8 myself, I liked Doggett (bit of a Robert Patrick fan from his T2 days), & while Gish wasn't up to Andersons level, I thought the dynamic worked well enough. Season 9 though immediately struggled, and with an episode called Jump The Shark, I think it was clear to everyone that the writers spent so much time wrapping themselves in knots that the show kinda ground to a halt. I'm looking forward to finishing up, as thus far the final season has been a real slog.

I can't quite remember but I thought season 9 went in a different, almost mythological direction? I remember really liking some episodes in it, where Doggett losses he's memory is one that springs to mind.

I'm in the mood now to pull out the old box set and have a watch!! I can challenge you then in more detail about it lol

I can't quite remember but I thought season 9 went in a different, almost mythological direction? I remember really liking some episodes in it, where Doggett losses he's memory is one that springs to mind.

I'm in the mood now to pull out the old box set and have a watch!! I can challenge you then in more detail about it lol

It does feel a little different, but not in a good way. The show has lost focus, & I find myself no longer caring what the 'Super Soldiers' really are, or what the story is with Scully's baby etc. The mytharc has been dragged on too far, for too long, with not enough tidbits of resolution to keep the viewers interested imo. It's question after question after question, & the show, like it's viewers, just hit a wall around the start of Season 9. There were a few half decent eps, the one with Doggett waking up in Mexico with no memory etc, but on the whole, it pales in comparison with previous entries.

The mytharc also got too big imo. There was a simple elegance to two FBI agents just going out to investigate unexplained/paranormal cases. There was no real need to blow the premise up to the level of the FBI being infiltrated with Super Soldiers etc, it made an interesting show about paranormal, more unbelievable that it would otherwise have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

New 'X-Files' Wows at World Premiere
    Cynical industry journalists turned gawking fanboys at the Mipcom television trade fair on Tuesday night when Fox screened – in its world premiere – the first episode of the hotly-anticipated return of The X-Files.

The Hollywood Reporter Spoiler Link

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Does anyone know if this new series is a direct continuation of the story from when the X-Files ended?

I stopped watching sometime around Duchovny left the show and am wondering should I try and catch up with the episodes I skipped.

We're getting mixture of mythology and standalone episodes. Not sure on the exact breakdown. It'll reflect the post-Snowden disclosure era, I believe.

New Teaser.

• Advertisement

x-files.jpg?w=620&h=928

The
    FBI badges are back.
    Oh yeah. :D

12208827_919689664735434_8607914630613512817_n.png?oh=91a6619d5c4b569a971732c7af89f8d2&oe=56AE759D&__gda__=1454893485_b3a522f168eadeca9209bf4fb9b54940

The truth is out there… and we’ve got the inside story on the thrilling return of The X-Files. Go behind the scenes with Chris Carter, David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson and all the key players as they reveal secrets from the set and take you on the epic journey of bringing this classic series back to Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 white devil

When is it on DVD?

• Advertisement

Not sure. Maybe the summer, I'd guess.

Advertisement