Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What health/fitness fads from a few years ago have died out now?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I thought anavars were for the wimmins?

Anavar is for both men and women, its just a safer option for women in regards to side effects but there is always the chance the anavar is actually winny instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

guile4582 wrote: »
    emphasis on "mass"
    it seems embedded in gym culture now, every noob, tom, dick (or no dick) and harry seems to be on gear these days.

Reads half an article, ascertains anavar is grand, goes asking on boards - how many times have we seen this
    Fair point.
    Prob due a thread soon tbf,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Probably best to get back on topic.........

forearm handgrippy things

https://www.playwell.co.uk/images/handgripplastic.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Anavar is for both men and women, its just a safer option for women in regards to side effects but there is always the chance the anavar is actually winny instead.

JJayoo took anavars once.

Now she's a dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JJayoo took anavars once.

Now she's a dude.

Srs?

Thought she was just a bit...you know...East German looking

• Advertisement

The latest fad to die out will be "training for strength". Hear me out before Hanley or anyone else who freak out.

Dave wants to look good naked and get girls.

Dave joins a gym and gets a curlbro program. He makes some gains before he is terrible on the diet side. He gets frustrated dieting but loves the gym. Dave follows all the fitness websites. He sees power lifters doing big lifts but also guzzling food and having a more relaxed diet than his curlbro program. He starts SS/SL and GOMAD even though he is fat. Mass moves mass. He also has no intention of competing in strongman/powerlifting

Several months later he has a decent main lifts but looks like a fat T-Rex as he did no assistance work and piled the food in (as he needed to eat big to get big). He looks awful naked and girls don't give a shìt about his lifts. They prefer ottermode or athletic guys. Feelsbad.jpg when he realises he fell into the "training for strength" trap and ignored his original goal.

The latest fad to die out will be "training for strength". Hear me out before Hanley or anyone else who freak out.

Dave wants to look good naked and get girls.

Dave joins a gym and gets a curlbro program. He makes some gains before he is terrible on the diet side. He gets frustrated dieting but loves the gym. Dave follows all the fitness websites. He sees power lifters doing big lifts but also guzzling food and having a more relaxed diet than his curlbro program. He starts SS/SL and GOMAD even though he is fat. Mass moves mass. He also has no intention of competing in strongman/powerlifting

Several months later he has a decent main lifts but looks like a fat T-Rex as he did no assistance work and piled the food in (as he needed to eat big to get big). He looks awful naked and girls don't give a shìt about his lifts. They prefer ottermode or athletic guys. Feelsbad.jpg when he realises he fell into the "training for strength" trap and ignored his original goal.

girls can be so vain. poor dave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Meh, focussing on performance improvement tends to sort a lot of the rest out. If your powerlifting total is 200lbs / 300lbs / 400lbs and you're guzzling food then, yeah, you'll probably look like ****. Add that to no engine or athleticism and well...

But it's going to be hard to look like **** if your total is 300 / 500 / 600 and you can move well. Sure, it's possible but it isn't going to work like that for most people. You'll look like what you can do.

There are always exceptions, but if you:

- can run a mile around ~4mins;
    - play a field sport like football / rugby / GAA to a high amateur standard;
    - actually hit competitive strength standards;

etc, etc you're going to look well.

Now I know that your post was a joke, but ultimately anyone who does anything half assed without enough intensity or consistency for long enough a period is not going to get a huge amount out of it. And you know what? People doing that is never going to go out of fashion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

i think you mean run a mile in 5 minutes although you certainly wouldnt be big if you could run it in 4!

God damnit! Use the metric system.

I hate when people use both. So 7min a km?

• Advertisement

I can do 5k in 25mins and lift...do I win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

High carb + low fat diet. Thank fook

It used to be known as the Atkins diet. Now it's better known as Keto and is very much alive and well http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

Also it actually works but is better for bodybuilders etc from what I've read.

I can do 5k in 25mins and lift...do I win?

a signed shirtless poster from Hanley
    It used to be known as the Atkins diet. Now it's better known as Keto and is very much alive and well http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

eh.. I think you have that the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Danye

I hope the relentless emails that personal trainers send with...

>>>>>>>>>>>Knowledge Bombs<<<<<<<<< claiming to have limited spaces left on their "new" "amazing" programme for commited, dedicated people with no bull**** so get in touch with them soon before they're all full up.

Or how everybody is "hating" on them!

And then signing of their email with something like, Joe "The Go To Guy In The Fitness Industry" Bloggs.

:D

Danye wrote: »

>>>>>>>>>>>Knowledge Bombs<<<<<<<<< claiming to have limited spaces left on their "new" "amazing" programme for commited, dedicated people with no bull**** so get in touch with them soon before they're all full up.

And then signing of their email with something like, Joe "The Go To Guy In The Fitness Industry" Bloggs.

Why don't you just unsubscribe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Danye

Why don't you just unsubscribe?

I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

electronic pulse belt electrocution thingys :)
    Plenty still in argos, they have more speific ones now like for arms & bum

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&langId=111&q=MUSCLE&c_1=1|category_root|Health+and+personal+care|14418350&pp=20&c_2=2|cat_14418350|Weight+loss+and+toning|14418411

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=SLENDERTONE&authToken=

Not sure if cycling has died out, or a certain breed of cyclist. I cycle a clapped out bike and used to be passing out lads all dressed up in lycra and on really expensive roadbikes, unfit beginners who blew a fortune on racing bikes & gear. I don't see as many of these anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Keto is far from low fat and isnt great for muscle building as high protein can kick you out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Danye wrote: »

Have people started copying my sign off?

PS - I think you forgot to finish the sentence you started?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

a signed shirtless poster from Hanley

Is there any other kind of poster from hanley?

• Advertisement

eh.. I think you have that the other way around

Ok, let me rephrase. It was popularised about 10 years ago by the Akins diet. It was always a keto diet, but akins has lost favour to other fad diets.

Ok, let me rephrase. It was popularised about 10 years ago by the Akins diet. It was always a keto diet, but akins has lost favour to other fad diets.

But it's not.

Atkins is high fat, low carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can rephrase it over and over.
    Atkins wasn't high carb low fat, neither is Keto.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mini homer

Krav Maga/Kapap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Cycling has never been bigger...

As for what's been and gone, - step aerobics, aerobics, tae bo, GOMAD and hot yoga seems to be on the slide.

Mellor wrote: »
    You can rephrase it over and over.
    Atkins wasn't high carb low fat, neither is Keto.

It was low carb high fat. Did I miss something?

It was low carb high fat. Did I miss something?

You quoted a poster who said 'High carb + low fat diet' and said it was Atkins/Keto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Is there any other kind of poster from hanley?

there is the one of him dropping knowledge bombs about techers ;)

there is the one of him dropping knowledge bombs about techers ;)

And the crying baby

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I have literally zero idea what people are even talking about at this stage.

All I know is I'm sitting here topless stinking of fake tan.

Advertisement