Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What health/fitness fads from a few years ago have died out now?

Options
  • 19-03-2015 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Was in a spinning class the other day and it occurred to me, there was a time when spinning was all the rage and the hot new thing. Now, it's still popular, but you don't hear half as much about it. I am wondering if Crossfit will go the same way in a few years. Hopefully that juicing detox rubbish will too.

Colonics were also very popular in the early 00s but you never hear much about them now! What else has all but died out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Magenta wrote: »
    Colonics were also very popular in the early 00s but you never hear much about them now!

Went down the tubes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Went down the tubes...

People realised it was just a load of ****e! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

for all the good colononics do you might as well shove them up your arse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Crossfit won't disappear the same way planet fitness, detox teas and online trainers aren't going anywhere. There's still a market for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well Crossfit is just Strength and Conditioning training. It's really just a rebranding and repackaging of training methodologies that have always existed. Barbell lifts; gymnastics; conditioning is never going to go out of fashion, and you're always going to have some level of demand for proper training utilising one or all of them at the same time.

• Advertisement

Spinning is still popular. It's just not new anymore so you don't hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

Tae Bo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

High carb + low fat diet. Thank fook

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well Crossfit is just Strength and Conditioning training. It's really just a rebranding and repackaging of training methodologies that have always existed. Barbell lifts; gymnastics; conditioning is never going to go out of fashion, and you're always going to have some level of demand for proper training utilising one or all of them at the same time.

Don't forget the bizarre and terrifying cult-like atmosphere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The last few decades of fads...

Bodybuilding > Aerobics > "Functional" Training > CrossFit > Powerlifting > Weightlifting

...in order of appearance.

Weightlifting is still to come, it's kinda started, but it's the next logical follow on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Zillah wrote: »

I'm sorry, hadn't noticed it myself down where I train!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Hanley wrote: »
    The last few decades of fads...

Bodybuilding > Aerobics > "Functional" Training > CrossFit > Powerlifting > Weightlifting

...in order of appearance.

Weightlifting is still to come, it's kinda started, but it's the next logical follow on.

Haha I was about to post oly lifting will be new fad. I've already seen it been mentioned on other sites.

Zillah wrote: »

You only see Americans doing that crap on YouTube. They always want to be apart of a community

"I got the iPhone 6.. I'm so happy to finally be a member of the apple community"
    "I joined a cross fit box... Blah blah blah"
    "I gained 200lbs. I'm so excited to finally accept myself and be apart of the HAES/body positive community"

In fact has any of that HAES/body positive nonsense reached Joe Soap in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Haha I was about to post oly lifting will be new fad. I've already seen it been mentioned on other sites.
    yup all you need is a €200 pair of shoes and in every video say you're new to this so thats why your form is a load of crap - this is coming from someone that considers himself only slightly less **** at oly lifting after about 5yrs.

Magenta wrote: »
    Was in a spinning class the other day and it occurred to me, there was a time when spinning was all the rage and the hot new thing. Now, it's still popular, but you don't hear half as much about it. I am wondering if Crossfit will go the same way in a few years. Hopefully that juicing detox rubbish will too.

Colonics were also very popular in the early 00s but you never hear much about them now! What else has all but died out?
    paleo has died out.

If you didnt get the memo - those at the top of the paleo education have backed off on their hard line approach

carbs aint all that bad if you're lean enough and active enough to need lots of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

The whole TRX thing seems to have, predictably, died on it's a*se in double-quick time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

High carb + low fat diet. Thank fook

That's not really a fad though. It's tried and tested for a lot of body builders.

It's just one of the ways to skin a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Probably a good few years since they were popular now, but vibration plates thankfully seem to be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Transform wrote: »
    paleo has died out.
    I see "paleo" on menus in the last few years, takeaways doing paleo stuff and specifically calling it that, and more low carb options with no buns etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Line dancing...anyone remember all the aul ladies dressed in cowboy boots and ten gallon hats in the pub on a Monday night. They danced their socks off to Cotton-Eye Joe and they were delighted with the work out!!

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I see "paleo" on menus in the last few years, takeaways doing paleo stuff and specifically calling it that, and more low carb options with no buns etc.
    No the Paleo concept not the commercial application has died out - now the pAleo template

Hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Juicing is the new slim fast.

It needs to die.

It needs to die.

I think cycling is the next big thing

oum61f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

It needs to die.
    Agreed!
    Its getting to the stage if your not juicing your an eejit where I train...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I thought juicing was a thing 10 or 15 years ago?

also gymnastics and its related skills will continue to and have seen a massive upsurge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It's all cold press this and cold press that. Spirulina this and wheatgrass that.

Ugh just eat the goddamn fruit!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Doesn't juicing mean steroid use?

I don't think crossfit is going anywhere. It might reach saturation and contract but its filled a gap in the market with no real competitors.

I can see pure gymnastics and Oly weightlifting getting a boost from its popularity if they haven't already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

In fact has any of that HAES/body positive nonsense reached Joe Soap in Ireland?

Oh lord, dump me in the liffey when it does, please.

Advertisement