Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What health/fitness fads from a few years ago have died out now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 terblaine

Do people still do zumba?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

terblaine wrote: »
    Do people still do zumba?

Yup, saw some friends signing up to a class recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Zillah wrote: »
    Oh lord, dump me in the liffey when it does, please.

But my rolls are super cute and my swollen ankles are so adorable today.. and if you don't agree that's because of your thin privilege :mad:

Yup, saw some friends signing up to a class recently.

Always seemed cheesy to me. Never thought it would catch on in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

terblaine wrote: »
    Always seemed cheesy to me. Never thought it would catch on in this country.

Because too many people need to be hammered before dancing?

• Advertisement

Because too many people need to be hammered before dancing?

Can't speak for everyone but I certainly need some lubrication before I attempt to dance in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

But my rolls are super cute and my swollen ankles are so adorable today.. and if you don't agree that's because of your thin privilege :mad:

My brain had poured out onto the keyboard by the end of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6mMpE8AaA0

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Big Ears wrote: »
    Probably a good few years since they were popular now, but vibration plates thankfully seem to be a thing of the past.
    Where they ever popular?
    I've seen one or two in his but never anyone using one seriously.

I think "MMA fitness" will be one of the next things to crop up more often. There's already UFC endorsed workout DVDs (P90x meets MMA). And a large chains are going to start rolling out MMA classes on their Fitness timetables.
    Basically a new twist on boxercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mellor wrote: »
    Where they ever popular?
    I've seen one or two in his but never anyone using one seriously.

I think "MMA fitness" will be one of the next things to crop up more often. There's already UFC endorsed workout DVDs (P90x meets MMA). And a large chains are going to start rolling out MMA classes on their Fitness timetables.
    Basically a new twist on boxercise.

McGregorcise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

operation transformation is big at the moment, 6-8 weeks of torture

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

My brain had poured out onto the keyboard by the end of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6mMpE8AaA0

d98.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Doesn't juicing mean steroid use?

I don't think crossfit is going anywhere. It might reach saturation and contract but its filled a gap in the market with no real competitors.

I can see pure gymnastics and Oly weightlifting getting a boost from its popularity if they haven't already.

That's the Juicing im talking about not the legal kind:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭atilladehun

ab rollers? They were huge in the 90's

I agree deadly buzzman. I remember everyone in college with masticating juicers, that was the early 00's.

Apparently Bodyweight training searches on google have increased exponentially since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Does anyone remember Callanetics ? That was my workout in the nineties. That, Jane Fonda videos and step aerobics which I never hear anyone doing anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Circuit Classes.

gone the way of the dodo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Circuit Classes.

gone the way of the dodo.

Really? I think they are still going strong particularly if you include things like TRX - and some bootcamps and kettlebell classes are based on circuits also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

F45 is sending Crossfit to the undertakers here in Australia. There will always be something to overtake a passing fad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Juicing is the new slim fast.

It needs to die.

Juicing is superb and isn't going anywhere.

Why not buy the bullet? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Juicing is superb and isn't going anywhere.

Why not buy the bullet? :)

Because I'd rather eat the fruit and veg whole and get the fibre?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Batgurl wrote: »
    F45 is sending Crossfit to the undertakers here in Australia. There will always be something to overtake a passing fad.

I actually went and checked that out

on first view, I'd say the coaching is a lot less technical, less olympic style movements for gym goers to master and it is quite cardio based.
    Maybe I'm wrong.
    Their website is quite vague

• Advertisement

Because I'd rather eat the fruit and veg whole and get the fibre?:confused:

But that's just you. Not everyone likes eating fruit and veg whole. A blender like the nutribullet also retains some of the pulp, so you're getting your fiber.

I have spinach, kale, apple, nuts, porridge oats and chia seeds in the morning. It takes a minute to make and about 30 seconds to clean. It fills you up until lunch time and gives you a great burst of energy.

Anything that helps people get more fruit and veg into their diet certainly doesn't 'need to die'.

But that's just you. Not everyone likes eating fruit and veg whole. A blender like the nutribullet also retains some of the pulp, so you're getting your fiber.

I have spinach, kale, apple, nuts, porridge oats and chia seeds in the morning. It takes a minute to make and about 30 seconds to clean. It fills you up until lunch time and gives you a great burst of energy.

Anything that helps people get more fruit and veg into their diet certainly doesn't 'need to die'.

So I've answered your question why I don't try it.

People who won't eat fruit or veg are behaving like children IMO.

People who just drink 3 juices a day instead of eating real food are idiots.

And when you're juicing instead of eating the whole fruits and veg you're taking in more calories as well.

So I've answered your question why I don't try it.

People who won't eat fruit or veg are behaving like children IMO.

People who just drink 3 juices a day instead of eating real food are idiots.

And when you're juicing instead of eating the whole fruits and veg you're taking in more calories as well.

Jesus, talk about a patronising post. Some people prefer juicing to eating their fruit and veg, how does that make them idiots?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I actually went and checked that out

on first view, I'd say the coaching is a lot less technical, less olympic style movements for gym goers to master and it is quite cardio based.
    Maybe I'm wrong.
    Their website is quite vague

I've watched a few videos as well. HIT circuit training, with a mix of body-weight movements and light weights. And I mean light, I didn't see anything past about 35 kilos, its all weighted sacks, dumbbells, kettle-bells and those cheap 4 foot long bars. Outside of 1 or 2 pieces of equipment(sleds and ropes), you get that for free in most gyms here in class format. I don't see it as competition to crossfit outside of what appears to be a similar franchise system and good branding.

I'll sit back and wait for the F45 fail videos showing people doing stupid things with horrible form. Deadlifts anybody.

Jesus, talk about a patronising post. Some people prefer juicing to eating their fruit and veg, how does that make them idiots?

IMO!

Because you aren't getting the FULL amount of nutrients you could be getting from them so you are kidding yourself thinking they are 'healthy'.

IMO!

Because you aren't getting the FULL amount of nutrients you could be getting from them so you are kidding yourself thinking they are 'healthy'.

Yes, I know it's your opinion!

The nutribullet and all of the other 'fad' bleners/juicers extract most of the nutrients - perhaps not as much as if served on a plate but of course it's healthy, so "who's kidding" themselves here? :pac:

Yes, I know it's your opinion!

The nutribullet and all of the other 'fad' bleners/juicers extract most of the nutrients - perhaps not as much as if served on a plate but of course it's healthy, so "who's kidding" themselves here? :pac:

I've bolded the important part there.

There's no real 'perhaps' here. It can't possibly be as much.

But keep up the juicing if you're enjoying it. I'll stick to actually eating and enjoying my food and looking great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

gymnastics?? only if integrated into classes, such as zumba, body attack and the like! Kettlebells are dying at an explosive rate. I can see trx going the same way. Crossfit is just rebranding, i do see it lasting but more on a smaller scale. On a slightly different note: I can see these flyefit chain of gyms expanding, 24 hr cheap gyms with good facilities is the way to go

I've bolded the important part there.

There's no real 'perhaps' here. It can't possibly be as much.

But keep up the juicing if you're enjoying it. I'll stick to actually eating and enjoying my food and looking great. :)

So what if it's not as much, it's still pretty damn good for you either way. Since I've started juicing, I've increased my fruit and veg intake tenfold. I will definitely keep it up too.

Also, glad to hear that you're enjoying your food and looking good, good feeling, isn't it :)

• Advertisement

gymnastics?? only if integrated into classes, such as zumba, body attack and the like! Kettlebells are dying at an explosive rate. I can see trx going the same way. Crossfit is just rebranding, i do see it lasting but more on a smaller scale. On a slightly different note: I can see these flyefit chain of gyms expanding, 24 hr cheap gyms with good facilities is the way to go

Gymnastics has never really been very big in the country which is a shame.

I don't see Crossfit dying out. It's been around for quite awhile it's becoming more popular lately.

Advertisement