Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Nationals

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Well done winners - I had nothing.

Big lesson for the stats followers for next year is to throw out the fact that top weights cannot win. If you ask me, the calibre of horses contesting this event is much better than in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

I had Soll myself. I thought he would be there or thereabouts, but he seemed to fade quite a bit before the end. I put a few quid on Court By Surprise too, but he never seemed to be in it and got pulled up. I thought he might have a big run and his trainer sounded somewhat confident, but something must not have been right in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

PressRun wrote: »
    I had Soll myself. I thought he would be there or thereabouts, but he seemed to fade quite a bit before the end. I put a few quid on Court By Surprise too, but he never seemed to be in it and got pulled up. I thought he might have a big run and his trainer sounded somewhat confident, but something must not have been right in the end.

Court By Surprise broke a blood vessel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I had Solled myself. I thought he would be there or thereabouts, but he seemed to fade quite a bit before the end. I put a few quid on Court By Surprise too, but he never seemed to be in it and got pulled up. I thought he might have a big run and his trainer sounded somewhat confident, but something must not have been right in the end.

FYP:D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Word coming through now that Balthazar King has in fact just bruised his ribs. Fantastic news if true!

Great news if true! Great season for many clouds he won it well! Neil mullholland must be gutted with the Druids nephew falling 5 out when seemingly to have a nice bit in the tank (very well handicapped too)! The joys of the what if!

• Advertisement

Nulty wrote: »
    Court By Surprise broke a blood vessel

Ah, I see. I was thinking something must have gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭CH3OH

How badly injured is Robbie mac?

As far as I can remember, Jim Culloty said he had 8 cracked ribs, collapsed lung, 1 cracked verterbrae and a haematoma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

pugw wrote: »
    The joys of the what if!

Exactly, Al Co had it in the bag until the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cause of Causes for me, hes my only bet so far.

Might have a small bet on Monbeg Dude, in the hope he can get his jumping together

Happy with my €10ew on Monbeg Dude at 50-1, shame he didnt win but its better then a kick in the a*se, jumped alot better yesterday then races hes run before.

Cause of causes got to far back early in the race but seemed to finish well, next year could be his year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

What an achievement Leighton Aspel has achieve, even if he had not won the GN last year.

No matter how big a fan you were/are of Many Clouds, there was little to believe that he would have won. Sure,he is a dour stayer, but

Cheltenham was the race he aimed for, Aintree was a bit of an afterthought, and with good ground that put me off both races forbim

He had a very hard race

Soft ground was suppose to be his big asset

While the interview before the race had owner and jockey expressing satisfaction on the finishing of their horse in The Gold Cup, they puzzled about the start and didn't really know whether he ran his best or not

Also, the weight.history said no way, even if on good ground

Often, especially in flat racing, jockeys don't get the credit,they merely piloted the horse, and get flak if they loose. Leighton definitely played the major role in helping the horse to even be in contention. (he's had a fine season since the last GN to, not just on Many Clouds)

Uncharacteristic mistake by Balthazar King, second guessing that fence. The enjoyment was kind of gone for me when he went, but it was a fantastic race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

A cracking National winner at the weights and the jockey was sublime, but the Ch4 commentary ruined what should have been a very enjoyable race as it was very hard to figure who had fallen and where the remaing horses were placed.

Maybe it was just me, but for me the race commentary was the absolute pits.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

tryfix wrote: »
    A cracking National winner at the weights and the jockey was sublime, but the Ch4 commentary ruined what should have been a very enjoyable race as it was very hard to figure who had fallen and where the remaing horses were placed.

Maybe it was just me, but for me the race commentary was the absolute pits.:(

Fully agree, I dont think they acknowledged quite a few of the fallers. Also kept mentioning the leading group, and apart from "super duty at the back of the field" very few updates on the rest of the field. Of course its not an easy job but ive never been so puzzled watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

It just isn't the BBC.... "and its over to Peter O'Sullevan!!!!!"

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Fully agree, I dont think they acknowledged quite a few of the fallers. Also kept mentioning the leading group, and apart from "super duty at the back of the field" very few updates on the rest of the field. Of course its not an easy job but ive never been so puzzled watching it.

I felt like was at the race, you know, tippy toeing in the stand, can't barely see the race.

There are 3 commentators ffs.

What did anyone think of the over head camera? Not use to it. Makes it dynamic but...

Balders Success was put down

Balthazar King still being kept in care.I would be shocked if his fella ever sees a race track again

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

A few people backed Portrait King - as did I - anyone think he had a chance until he came down 3 from home. Description in the sporting-life website said "outpaced" - but there was only 4/5 in front of him. Only 11 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Had the druids nephew myself, covinced he would have won it

A few people backed Portrait King - as did I - anyone think he had a chance until he came down 3 from home. Description in the sporting-life website said "outpaced" - but there was only 4/5 in front of him. Only 11 next year.

He could have been in contention had he not come down. I thought The Rainbow Hunter was quite unlucky too. His connections were very pleased with him though, despite him falling, and I think he'll be back again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Shutthefrontdoor still wouldnt of won with a prep run but id say he would of got closer. Next year with a prep run he should go close seeing as its hard for many clouds although high weight and a top horse to win ot back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Al Co heading for the Scots National

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

who we backing ffir the scottish national?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Gallant Oscar

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Gallant Oscar
    And the best of luck with your choice. For myself, I will stick with Milborough. I had a strong fancy for him at Newcastle and he duly obliged @18/1 . Have had a good cut @20/1 EW. The form on ATR says he is raised 10 lbs ,but my reading is ,up 2lbs. Ayr is the trainers local track so I assume he will be well schooled over the fences here. Local trainers have a great record in this race , so EW value for 5 places seems best value to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

mountai wrote: »
    And the best of luck with your choice. For myself, I will stick with Milborough. I had a strong fancy for him at Newcastle and he duly obliged @18/1 . Have had a good cut @20/1 EW. The form on ATR says he is raised 10 lbs ,but my reading is ,up 2lbs. Ayr is the trainers local track so I assume he will be well schooled over the fences here. Local trainers have a great record in this race , so EW value for 5 places seems best value to me.

I think you've just tempted me into it :P

I like Indian Castle and millborough

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Raz de maree ew , some 33's still available

gallant Oscar out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

I don't believe this...

• Advertisement
Advertisement