Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

73Cat wrote: »
    It's annoying that I never know where to look at the hairdressers when she is talking to me. Do I turn slightly and look at her, or talk to her reflection in the mirror? I also told her not to worry about pulling the head off me trying to get out knots, as I pull the head off myself everyday. Then had to chew my lip as I realised how it sounded. When leaving I dropped my phone into a clump of hair off the old lady beside me:(.

Laughing away to myself here! That not knowing where to look when the hairdresser is talking is so awkward!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Went to Tesco for milk. Spent 80 Euro & forgot the feckin milk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Every Friday I buy a share-size bag of crisps to have with my wine that evening.
    It's my weekly treat.

Today, while shopping, I grabbed a bag and put it in the trolley. Said to other half: "Are you getting anything for yourself?"
    He says: "No, I won't."
    Asked him again: "Sure? Tayto or O'Donnells or something?"
    Him: "No, I'm grand."

Fast forward to tonight. I take my bag of crisps out of the cupboard and sit down with my wine.
    I open bag. Other half's ears prick and in goes his hand, like a digger.
    "Ooh," he says. "These are nice."
    Most of them are gone now.

I don't like sharing. Not when it's my weekly treat and he didn't buy any for himself!
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

People who sneeze in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Zippie84 wrote: »
    People who sneeze in public.

You wouldn't be like this person by any chance, would you?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11484996/Mystery-man-slaps-shoppers-around-head-for-sneezing.html

Actually, on the note of sneezing and coughing, I seriously hate it when people don't cover their mouths when sneezing or coughing. I've felt the spray from sneezes before, which has been quite unpleasant. I've been coughed on as well at times. Also not pleasant!

• Advertisement

When people make assumptions, I often get really wound up.

Like obviously it's a natural human thing for people to assume something's a certain way. But usually there's way more than just one possibility, but people often fix their mind on this one possibility and can't see beyond that, and assume that to be the case. And I get wound up.

The thing might be the case, might not be, and I feel like screaming 'stop making fecking assumptions'.

Yet I probably do the same without even realising

fussyonion wrote: »
    Every Friday I buy a share-size bag of crisps to have with my wine that evening.
    It's my weekly treat.

Today, while shopping, I grabbed a bag and put it in the trolley. Said to other half: "Are you getting anything for yourself?"
    He says: "No, I won't."
    Asked him again: "Sure? Tayto or O'Donnells or something?"
    Him: "No, I'm grand."

Fast forward to tonight. I take my bag of crisps out of the cupboard and sit down with my wine.
    I open bag. Other half's ears prick and in goes his hand, like a digger.
    "Ooh," he says. "These are nice."
    Most of them are gone now.

I don't like sharing. Not when it's my weekly treat and he didn't buy any for himself!
    :mad:

"other half's ears prick". Sounds like our dog whenever any food packet or wrapper is opened!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

TA that I ate a snack box on Sat night & I broke my front tooth.

Even more TA that I paid 8.50 for it (its normally 6.50) to get two breast pieces, as I don't like the dark meat, or bones or gristle in the thighs and wings. Yet I STILL broke an effing tooth eating it.

TA I had to wait until today for an appointment at my dentist, as they were closed Mon-Wed.

TA that I had to get an injection right in the front of my upper gum. There is NO WORSE OR MORE PAINFUL a place to get an injection. NONE !!!

TA that I paid 120 for the filling, but there is a part of it still sticking out. I'll need to go back and get it filed down, or more food could catch on it and detach the whole thing. And I'll probably need another injection. In my upper gum. Again.

So between trips to town & the filling, that bloody snack box cost me 142 smackers. I should have just bought a pair of shoes ! :mad:

ProudDUB wrote: »

Even more TA that I paid 8.50 for it (its normally 6.50) to get two breast pieces, as I don't like the dark meat, or bones or gristle in the thighs and wings. Yet I STILL broke an effing tooth eating it.

TA I had to wait until today for an appointment at my dentist, as they were closed Mon-Wed.

TA that I had to get an injection right in the front of my upper gum. There is NO WORSE OR MORE PAINFUL a place to get an injection. NONE !!!

TA that there is a part of the filling still sticking out. I'll need to go back and get it filed down, or more food could catch on it and detach the whole thing. And I'll probably need another injection. In my upper gum. Again. So pissed off !!!

Genuinely feel very sorry for you.

ProudDUB wrote: »

TA that there is a part of the filling still sticking out. I'll need to go back and get it filed down, or more food could catch on it and detach the whole thing. And I'll probably need another injection. In my upper gum. Again. So pissed off !!!

What's all this TA mean?

• Advertisement

What's all this TA mean?
    Territorial Army! :P

What's all this TA mean?

Trivially annoyed Zippie84!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

That stupid aaaaaaaaa. Liance ad .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What's all this TA mean?

It means that if you ever find yourself driving from Castlebar to Dublin at 11 o'clock of a Saturday night, DO NOT STOP IN KINNEGAD FOR A SNACK BOX! :mad:

Next time I go to a Dubs game in Mayo, I'll make do with a flashk o'tae and a load of hang sangitches, as God and nature and the founders of the GAA intended !

Territorial Army! :P

Yep, that was what I immediately thought of too :P

ratmouse wrote: »
    Trivially annoyed Zippie84!

I'm a bit TA at myself that I didn't figure it out, as seems so obvious now, but just reading through it with all this TA everywhere, I just couldn't get into reading it, so got a bit TA, you know? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Closing time in the saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

food snobs who, at the sight of you eating or a mere mention of fast food, fall over themselves to tell you how nutritionally deficient it is. yes, its not the best for you, but its down to personal choice and discretion. in other words, back the **** up and mind your own.

anyone who takes it upon themselves to abuse or humiliate someone in a customer service role when they've been nothing but nice. staff i deal with are typically a pleasure, never any problems and when there were mistakes made or delays in service they were quickly acknowledged and apologised for. especially when I see new staff being trained in stores and are clearly flustered trying to find their feet. I would hate to see some asshole come along and make life difficult for them. some chap took a lengthy amount of time preparing a bit of food for me at the deli the other day and was being helped out by his colleague as he went along, he was obviously new and just getting to know the place, took noticeably longer than usual but they were apologetic and it wasn't a burden on me or my time. I just understood and felt compassion for the new guy.

petty people who engage in childish, tit-for-tat one upmanship in order to feel they've 'won' and are 'superior' (inferiority complex)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

White feckin vans! What's the story? Can they not exceed 45 miles an hour?

Any time I'm stuck in a line of traffic lately it's always a white van holding it up! Especially those shltty Citroen Berlingo or Peugeot Partner yokes! WTF?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

gammygils wrote: »
    White feckin vans! What's the story? Can they not exceed 45 miles an hour?

Any time I'm stuck in a line of traffic lately it's always a white van holding it up! Especially those shltty Citroen Berlingo or Peugeot Partner yokes! WTF?

Its the new trend with stingy farmers who despise having to run a thirsty cruiser so they decide to buy, insure and tax a van as a cheaper option.

• Advertisement

When people / companies can't understand that 12am = midnight, not noon.

One bad example of this is one shopping centre I know who have a big sign outside saying their sunday opening hours are 12am - 6pm. Very impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

When people / companies can't understand that 12am = midnight, not noon.

One bad example of this is one shopping centre I know who have a big sign outside saying their sunday opening hours are 12am - 6pm. Very impressive!

But you're wrong. PM means post meridiem ("after midday" in Latin) and AM means ante meridiem ("before midday").

Therefore 12am is 12:00:00 in the 24 hour clock as that isn't after midday it is exactly midday. AM doesn't start till a second after midday.

Quazzie wrote: »
    But you're wrong. PM means post meridiem ("after midday" in Latin) and AM means ante meridiem ("before midday").

Therefore 12am is 12:00:00 in the 24 hour clock as that isn't after midday it is exactly midday. AM doesn't start till a second after midday.

Yes of course technically 12pm is neither midnight or noon see http://www.nmm.ac.uk/explore/astronomy-and-time/time-facts/faqs/is-noon-12-am-or-12-pm as one example, but 12am - 6pm on their sign as the example given is not quite what they are intending it to be.

By definition, and common interpetation and common use 12am is generally known as midnight, and 12pm noon. This might help you further: http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/01/is-noon-12-am-12-pm-or-whatever.html Obviously better to use 12 noon vs 12 midnight, or 24 hour clock, since people find it so confusing, but it's a trivial thing that annoys me that people mis-use it so easily, and don't quite know what they're at.

Edit: this on the confusion explains it well also, and their table is quite useful. wikipedia but the same info you'd find elsewhere e.g. the several places they've referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yes of course technically 12pm is neither midnight or noon see http://www.nmm.ac.uk/explore/astronomy-and-time/time-facts/faqs/is-noon-12-am-or-12-pm as one example, but 12am - 6pm on their sign as the example given is not quite what they are intending it to be.

By definition, and common interpetation and common use 12am is generally known as midnight, and 12pm noon. This might help you further: http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/01/is-noon-12-am-12-pm-or-whatever.html Obviously better to use 12 noon vs 12 midnight, or 24 hour clock, since people find it so confusing, but it's a trivial thing that annoys me that people mis-use it so easily, and don't quite know what they're at.

See you're looking at that the 12 is the start of the timeframe whereas I look at it that the time frame builds up to a finality at 12.

See you're looking at that the 12 is the start of the timeframe whereas I look at it that the time frame builds up to a finality at 12.

I'm not even looking at it in that detail at all. Only commonly recognised form and use and it being a TA that annoys me that so many people don't use that, causing confusion for people. Some examples I've seen are so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

That today is a beautiful day, but I'm going to be sitting indoors watching the rugby. :(:(

I know it's my choice. but I would feel much better if it was lashing :):):)

deise08 wrote: »
    That today is a beautiful day, but I'm going to be sitting indoors watching the rugby. :(:(

I know it's my choice. but I would feel much better if it was lashing :):):)

Haha, I feel like that when I am stuck inside working. Like I wish it could be lashing when I'm inside working, but stop as soon as I'm finished work obviously.

Enjoy the rugby :D

For me, it's not about me deciding which makes most sense to me and then deciding which to use - and granted many Joe Bloggs won't even know what am or pm officially means - but about which is commonly regarded as right.

e.g. this from the dictionary might help in addition to what I've already given, oh and worldtimebuddy too, loads of other examples everywhere online :) On a basic search, think I can only find examples online that are apparently wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I have to spend my Saturday studying for my Irish exams :( I better pass these bloody exams or there will be hell to pay!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Chicken taking way too long to defrost! I wanted to have cheesy chicken goujons ready last night so I could just warm them up when the rugby is on but of course there was a big lump of frozen chicken right in the middle. It better be defrosted now!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement