Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Search bar still there thankfully, but that takes even longer... having to type the name of a forum every time... rather than the previous one click system... Just glad I have 'my threads' still for the ones I use regularly... think I might be just sticking to those from now on unless it improves... too much hassle otherwise tbh :D

Just go to the browser bar and type af, your browser will automatically suggest after hours, quicker than searching thru Boards itself. Mind you I'm using a laptop.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Just go to the browser bar and type af, your browser will automatically suggest after hours, quicker than searching thru Boards itself. Mind you I'm using a laptop.

I'm also using a laptop. Wasn't the point but thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

TA at the young wan in the Barrys Tea ad. The one who is going to visit her granny. Shops in vintage clothes shops, plays the gee-taur in uber trendy bars, wears oh so funky bowler hats, paints her nails black, shops for retro vinyl in second hand record shops, wears Doc Martens. And on and on and on. It's like she was hired from Rent-A-Hipster just for the ad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

People who buy/own iPhone cases with the little hole in the back so you can see the Apple logo?? Why??
    I'd be considered by some to be a fanboy, and wouldn't dream of one of those covers!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

People who use those little Bluetooth headsets while walking around!
    I get that they are useful in the car, but when Billy is walking around Tesco getting his messages, and he has a blue light flashing on his ear, I think he looks like a fool.
    I also think he thinks he looks quite important!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rosb

People who wrestle with the plastic containers at the salad bar. They take too many then paw them all over trying to separate them. Leave the pawed one for the next person.... Yeuky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    When you find yourself still on the phone to someone ten minutes after you've said, "so I've no news really" :(

Similar to my mother ringing me and saying 'I won't keep you' and yet 10 minutes later I am still listening to her tell me things she has already told me numerous times. Sometimes I'm so annoyed by it that I interrupt to remind her that she has already told me that, often more than once and she gets mad narky and tells me not be to so rude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Got up early (which was painful) and managed to take an early luas.... got a seat....headphones in.....playlist sorted.....

... Next of all someone from the office taps me on the shoulder. Had to abandon music and make small talk the rest of the journey. I actually felt a creeping rage...

I'm thinking of switching to the bus tbh. I know that might be a bit extreme but I am not a morning (or an evening) person and I am so tired from all the small talk. I just want to be left alone to listen to my music! How is it that if a luas comes every four minutes, that whether I get on at 07:45 or 08:00 or 08:10 - I still manage to bump into one of three people I am trying to avoid? If I was looking for them I wouldn't be able to find them! :(:(

NoAlarms wrote: »
    Took my son to the playground today..and a little fecker started pulling his hair (he's two and has bouncy curls I refuse to cut yet).

My TA is the Yummy Mummies sitting on a bench saw it yet totally ignored it,would love to correct their "darlings" but didn't so had to take curly man away

I could write a book on trivial annoyances concerning playgrounds. I long for the playground years to be over!

Some Robo-Granny prety much made me her b1tch in Stephen's Green the other day. I was helping the kids on and off stuff for about 10 minutes beside a bench that had one space taken up by a school bag. Within the 10 minutes I was there no one sat in the space or came to move the bag. I decided I'd quite like a sit down so headed over and asked the lady sitting there if the bag was hers. It wasn't, so I carefully moved it and placed it on the ground beside me with the intention of putting it back on the seat when I got up.

Next minute some woman emerged from an unseen corner of the playground and came hurtling over like a geriatric terminator and absolutely lifted me out of it in Russian for moving the bag. She didn't seem to agree with me that blocking a seat with a bag for over 10 minutes and thus preventing others from sitting down was selfish and rude, but I can't be 100% sure because she just continued to rant in my face in Russian while pointing at the bag.

She spent the rest of the time staring me out of it before leaving with a parting shout of 'SORRY' which I got the feeling she didn't quite mean :D

Playgrounds really do bring out the best in people!!

Twice this week I have tried to leave a lift (promptly upon the doors opening - I'm not one of those weirdos who lurks at the back or in some unseen corner and then tries to emerge out when everyone has started to enter) and the person waiting has started to enter before I have fully exited. Both times they have said sorry yet kept pushing past. So they know they are in the wrong but can't stop themselves from being rude and impatient

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

People who use those little Bluetooth headsets while walking around!
    I get that they are useful in the car, but when Billy is walking around Tesco getting his messages, and he had a blue light flashing on his ear, I think he looks like a fool.
    I also think he thinks he looks quite important!

Agreed.

I wonder sometimes too, how people coped with shopping when they couldn't ring someone while in the supermarket, to ask the all important question of which brand of toilet paper, or whatever else, to buy :D.

Fake happiness. "HI! How are YOU???!!!!!" - fúck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

Fake happiness. "HI! How are YOU???!!!!!" - fúck off.

'Bubbly' people in general annoy me.

'Bubbly' people in general annoy me.

I just know that it's a mere scraping of happiness too. Like a layer of icing on a rotten cake. If you could manage to remove that flimsy layer of hysterical need to be happy all the fúcking time, you'd find an absolute schizoid basket case of a person underneath :( I might be an inherent crank but at least I'm stable in the sense that I'm always like that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just drank cold coffee eeeeeuuuuucccccccccccccwwwwwwwwccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh

I could have sworn I got it a couple of minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

I work with a person who has a story for EVERYTHING.

We could be talking about anything in work, chances are this person will let everyone know that a similar thing has happened to a friend/family member/someone they know. Everyone knows that most if not all of it is complete BS.

A couple of the lads even make up an elaborate story to talk out loud about, to see would this person chime in with a personal experience, and sure enough it happened to their cousin in the 80's.

Jay from the Inbetweeners hasn't a patch on this person! The person should change their name to Walter Mitty.

I was listening to a phone in show yesterday where people can ring in with questions for a vet. Guy phones in to say his 18 month old very hyper golden retriever keeps jumping up on his wife who is a few months pregnant and they don't know what to do.

The vet is great and explained that it was purely a training issue which could be overcome with a bit of work.

I mean seriously, someone is so thick that they have to ring in to ask a vet why their dog is jumping up?

I can just imagine it - 'hyper' = under exercised and under stimulated 18 month old retriever who has had no training or boundaries put in place and they only now give a sh1te because the wife is pregnant.

Hopefully the poor dog won't end up with a one way ticket to the pound once she pops the baby out.

Vel wrote: »
    I was listening to a phone in show yesterday where people can ring in with questions for a vet. Guy phones in to say his 18 month old very hyper golden retriever keeps jumping up on his wife who is a few months pregnant and they don't know what to do.

The vet is great and explained that it was purely a training issue which could be overcome with a bit of work.

I mean seriously, someone is so thick that they have to ring in to ask a vet why their dog is jumping up?

I can just imagine it - 'hyper' = under exercised and under stimulated 18 month old retriever who has had no training or boundaries put in place and they only now give a sh1te because the wife is pregnant.

Hopefully the poor dog won't end up with a one way ticket to the pound once she pops the baby out.

Poor dog will probably end up on a rehoming list. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

CPSW wrote: »
    I work with a person who has a story for EVERYTHING.

We could be talking about anything in work, chances are this person will let everyone know that a similar thing has happened to a friend/family member/someone they know. Everyone knows that most if not all of it is complete BS.

A couple of the lads even make up an elaborate story to talk out loud about, to see would this person chime in with a personal experience, and sure enough it happened to their cousin in the 80's.

Jay from the Inbetweeners hasn't a patch on this person! The person should change their name to Walter Mitty.

Oh God, I work with someone who is constantly banging on about her cousins, her nieces and nephews, her uncles and aunts etc etc etc. No matter what we're talking about she will have a family anecdote to contribute. It gets so annoying after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Actually another thing that annoys me is people who think that there's something really praiseworthy about spending long hours at work, working at home in the evenings, catching up with emails over the weekend etc and look down their noses at people who finish up at a normal time and spend their free time doing other things and not thinking about work.

If you're forced into a position where you're being exploited like that, it's very wrong. If you've no choice because of lack of alternatives, that's unfortunate. If you want to do it because it will make you lots of money or it makes you feel important or because you prefer to set up your own business than work for someone else, well that's your choice. But it is not an especially admirable way to live or to treat employees. There's absolutely nothing wrong with working set hours and then devoting the rest of your time to your private life.

• Advertisement

Actually another thing that annoys me is people who think that there's something really praiseworthy about spending long hours at work, working at home in the evenings, catching up with emails over the weekend etc and look down their noses at people who finish up at a normal time and spend their free time doing other things and not thinking about work.

If you're forced into a position where you're being exploited like that, it's very wrong. If you've no choice because of lack of alternatives, that's unfortunate. If you want to do it because it will make you lots of money or it makes you feel important or because you prefer to set up your own business than work for someone else, well that's your choice. But it is not an especially admirable way to live or to treat employees. There's absolutely nothing wrong with working set hours and then devoting the rest of your time to your private life.

Yes, I really don't like this about our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Well said, I work in an industry like that. You come in first thing and you see emails sent from people at 11 at night about something unimportant.

First thing I think is, what a loser with no life!!!

People making assumptions.

Might seem a weird thing, surely we all make assumptions?

Way I look at it is that we all form opinions, yes, but I know for me, I try to remember that those opinions may or may not be correct, and that there are many different ways of looking at the same thing.

But when people make an assumption on something, and seem to just conclude that it definitely is true, and that there are no other possibilities.

I don't know if this makes sense, but I see it constantly and it bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I work in a place where this is very much the norm, people feel pressured into basically living at the office and they all go meekly along with it. I have no part of it - I do a good job and am often praised for my work. When the chips are down and we're working to a deadline, I'll stay until midnight and beyond off my own initiative to get the job done, but on a 'normal' week, I have a life to live and I'll be out of here at a reasonable time.

At a work party I had a colleague comment on the fact that I often leave at 5:30 - 6:00. I laughed in her face.

There's also the fact that if you can't get your job done in the time allotted to you then maybe you're not competent to be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There's also the fact that if you can't get your job done in the time allotted to you then maybe you're not competent to be doing it.

Or the business is understaffed.

Or the business is understaffed.

Yep. I worked in a place managing a big operation where the head of the department kept taking staff away from me. Moved us to a different team, and had my team involved in doing half the work of what the new team was also supposed to do, so I barely had anyone to work on the core business of what I was there to oversee, and this was something that was big and crucial to the organisation.

Problem was the head of department had no real clue about the day to day workings of this operation, and quite how much was involved.

I gave it all I could despite practically not having a team anymore, but despite highlighting the issue, when things started slipping she tried to suggest I wasn't competent. But common sense would surely show that if you take staff away from a core business function, there will be issues... and unfortunately, as much as I wish I was, I'm not Superwoman.

I left, obviously, and there's now several more people working on what I was practically doing alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I often think a lot of people just do this to impress others and make themselves look more important. Some of my colleagues do this too and make sure to let everyone know whenever they worked late. Yet they spend a lot of their day chatting etc. I prefer to just get my work done and leave on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

The OH has a 6 Aunts and Uncles on her Mother's side and thus a hoard of cousins.

Whenever there's an in-law gathering I have to hang around for hours making small-talk with them.

I'm quite happy to converse on pretty much any subject - current affairs, literature, music, film. politics, sport - but the only thing they talk about are anecdotes about their families or other completely dull topics.
    Most of the time I don't know who they're talking about and even if I do the anecdote is invariably boring and without any obvious conversational comeback.

I once spent 15 minutes listening to a guy and his wife discussing what they were going to take out of the freezer to have for dinner that night - that's not an exaggeration by the way, they went through the entire contents of their freezer and discussed the merits of each option in length before eventually deciding on steak!
    They tell stories about how Tommy up the road fell off his tractor in the mid-80's as if humour has never transcended this event.
    I've never really head them discuss anything that hasn't occurred within a 5 mile radius of where they all live.

There's another gathering coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm dreading it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

This is true. Some years back in a former job I was given a promotion. I was told by the (horrible) manager that "You won't be able to leave at 5.30 any more."

Ok. My contracted hours were 9.00 to 5.30.

Within a week I had worked out my working day efficiently and happily waltzed out the door at 5.30 every day while my manager scowled and couldn't say anything; the day's work was done!!! :D

She was often there till 8pm! ha ha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement