Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jump! they shouted, so he did, to his death

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

crusier wrote: »
    This did happen in Galway @ 20 years ago at the Docks, didn't see it happen but was around the town that day.

I was there that evening. April 1997 I think. A young man climbed a construction crane near the docks.

I remember it attracted a crowd but I definitely didn't see anyone taunting him. I read in the tribune that week that he lost his footing and fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Get lost you absolute freak!!

Mod: stop with the personal abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Pretty standard thing to happen, even in Ireland where the people are so much more "helpful".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Am I being ridiculously naive in thinking that wouldn't happen in Ireland?

Unfortunately I saw a crowd shouting jump to a man outside a second floor window in Galway several years ago. Thankfully the Gardaí on the scene were able to deal with the situation and the guy got the help he needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Saddening, but doesn't surprise me.

While this is a whole other level, we see so much similar on social media.

E.g. bridge closed due to someone on it close to jumping - people tweeting, facebooking etc, that they should just go and bloody do it, and stop inconveniencing everyone.

Have seen all kinds of similar examples online and in person, and I can't identify with it at all.

To be in that type of pain to want to take your own life, so badly wanting it all to end, and people having so little compassion, and basically wishing you dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

what is it with people recording everything and anything these days ? u can't go anywhere without having a phone stuck in your face. but seriously this is too much . how could you stand there witnessing that and record it . do people genuinely want to capture something more than try and help in a situation like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Zippie84 wrote: »
    Saddening, but doesn't surprise me.

While this is a whole other level, we see so much similar on social media.

E.g. bridge closed due to someone on it close to jumping - people tweeting, facebooking etc, that they should just go and bloody do it, and stop inconveniencing everyone.

Have seen all kinds of similar examples online and in person, and I can't identify with it at all.

To be in that type of pain to want to take your own life, so badly wanting it all to end, and people having so little compassion, and basically wishing you dead.

Never pack a scumbag there will always be one there when you get there! A qoute from a mate of mine in the emergency services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

crusier wrote: »
    Never pack a scumbag there will always be one there when you get there!

Yup, the Thomas St. and College Green incidents went viral (including here). People were boarding buses to go have a wee look-see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I often wonder why I'm not hugely fond of "people", then I see stuff like this and remember why.

Not clicking on that link. I get the picture from the title and the threads. Bunch of fcukheads.
    It's the BBC news site, nothing sensationalist to be seen there, or graphic pictures.

• Advertisement

It's the BBC news site, nothing sensationalist to be seen there, or graphic pictures.

Yep. Media reporting is often not great on this subject at all, and often not in accordance with the Samaritans guidelines on the reporting of suicide (definitely getting better though), but this one does seem ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I said something on another thread about Irish people being more helpful in general than the English. I wonder if its wishful thinking. Awful stuff altogether.

Not sure, but society in the UK is beyond repair at this stage, benefit system bringing up sociopaths on a mass scale, Ireland unfortunately is following.

disgusting society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Hold on people are surprised by this? This is the world we live in im afraid. Back in the 90's I worked in San Francisco and driving home to Oakland one evening the traffic was hellish on the bridge. Eventually got to the reason for this a jumper on the bridge who the police where attempting to talk down. As cars drove by the incident drivers shouted jump and hurry up you idiot at the guy. People in general are pretty sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Many kids are being brought up to have no respect for anything. Wether it be money, authority or other people, it seems there is a real deficit in parenting.

I can't help but think younger generations are more detached from reality. That actions such as telling a person to jump to their death can be in anyway entertaining. Will they realise what they did after??

the_monkey wrote: »
    Not sure, but society in the UK is beyond repair at this stage, benefit system bringing up sociopaths on a mass scale, Ireland unfortunately is following.

disgusting society.

:pac: Yeah it's all those lazy feckers on benefits

Hold on people are surprised by this?

I've not seen anyone say they were surprised.

Only time on the thread someone said the word surprised was when someone said 'I am not a bit surprised'.

I generally get the feeling that people are saying they are the opposite of surprised.

One person did say they were 'shocked', although could be seen as a very slightly different thing from 'surprised', but nope I don't think people are generally surprised from what I read.... and like you, not at all surprised.

Many kids are being brought up to have no respect for anything. Wether it be money, authority or other people, it seems there is a real deficit in parenting.

Don't see that at all. Kids I find are more respectful than ever, the ones I've come across anyway

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

It's a pity that somebody didn't film the bastards who were shouting "jump" and post it online. Let that follow the pricks around for a few years.

"Ah, it's come to our attention that you were among many taunting a troubled person into killing himself. Yes, I don't think there's a place for your ilk in this company, or any company in this city for that matter. Good day."

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

the_monkey wrote: »

disgusting society.

I think you'll find that the poorest elements of society, whether they be penniless or on benefits as a result of their ill-fortune, will display throes more sympathy, empathy and assistance to their fellow man than the moneyed class to which you yearn to belong. I'm not poor. In fact I'm now well off and in my travels only the weak have displayed the kind of compassion to me that has left a lump in my throat. Don't say something as flippant and disgusting regarding poor people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I think he jumped because he wanted to not because scumbags told him to like the tabloid style headline suggests.

• Advertisement

Tugboats wrote: »
    I think he jumped because he wanted to not because scumbags told him to like the tabloid style headline suggests.

I think he jumped cos he was in a really bad place, and wanted to find a way to end that pain. The scumbags may have played a part in that.

Most people who are suicidal do not actually want to die. What they want is to find a way to end the pain and difficulties they are experiencing.

This has been well researched and proven, and is a key message in all of the leading suicide prevention training.

So it's less about wanting to jump / wanting to die, but wanting to find a way out of what you are feeling.

In almost all cases there is part of the person that does want to live. And with the help of the right suicide intervention resources that part of the person can usually be reached, and help given.

It's often very difficult to reach that part of the person but it is usually possible, with the right skills, comfort, reassurance and care.

But to have scum like that shouting to jump that could / would so easily un-do, all the work that the emergency personnel had done at that point in trying to talk him down, and quite literally tip him over the edge.

The people weren't the only thing responsible for his death, he was clearly in a very bad place emotionally to be up there in the first place.

But from what was reported, even without sensationalising it, and just sticking to facts, they almost certainly played a part in his death. He was in a vulnerable place, the lack of care from fellow human beings, the lack of humanity when you're already feeling so awful I can only imagine as having been so completely unbearable.

You're already feeling in so much emotional pain, wanting to find a way out of that pain. People do something like that that increases the pain and makes it so much worse. Of course that'll likely make you more likely to jump at that point and bring on that immediate end to that pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jbtarmac121

Hold on people are surprised by this? This is the world we live in im afraid. Back in the 90's I worked in San Francisco and driving home to Oakland one evening the traffic was hellish on the bridge. Eventually got to the reason for this a jumper on the bridge who the police where attempting to talk down. As cars drove by the incident drivers shouted jump and hurry up you idiot at the guy. People in general are pretty sick.

Good post. People wear a mask and hide their true feelings/intentions. A lot of people really don't care about YOU unless you have something you can offer. Case in point, I was down on my luck one night and needed a place to stay. Went to a hostel and was told that I'd need to book it online, even though I had the cash. the online booking deposit was 1 euro then I could pay the rest up front. No problem I thought... until I tried and realized I had no money in my account and banks were closed. After thinking about it for a while I noticed some of those "homeless helpers" on the street - i.e southsiders who walk around giving food to homeless people. I politely explained my situation and asked if one of them could help. About 15 of them and not one would. There were giving food to a romanian gypsey at the time and it's quite well known that these gypseys are running a scam and not actually homeless. That didn't matter though, these southsiders got their feeling of superiority/goodness from "helping" them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The lazy rat

kylith wrote: »
    Yes, I think you are being naive.

A person is generally decent, people can be despicable. It was ever thus. At one point going to public hangings was seen as a great day out for all the family.

Stop talking out your ar se.

mod: banned for being uncivil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

We live in a society that's overall more concerned at how their FB looks via "updates", than helping some poor chap/gal that is at their wits end with life.

Makes ya wanna vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

At least they didn't tell him to do a flip.

This has to be the nastiest comment I've read on here in a long time. For your sake I hope you're never affected by a situation like this. Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think it's sick the way those degenerates egged on the man to jump to his death with their phones on hand. Disgusting, where's the tradition of common decency and the Christian values gone to? Into the mire that's where ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I said something on another thread about Irish people being more helpful in general than the English. I wonder if its wishful thinking. Awful stuff altogether.

I would be incredibly shocked if this occurred in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

At least they didn't tell him to do a flip.

Was gonna say the same thing hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

TheBrinch wrote: »
    Was gonna say the same thing hahaha

Then don't post in this thread again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I think it's sick the way those degenerates egged on the man to jump to his death with their phones on hand. Disgusting, where's the tradition of common decency and the Christian values gone to? Into the mire that's where ..

Not sure why having Christian values (or not) has anything to do with this disturbing depravity

Advertisement