Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jump! they shouted, so he did, to his death

Options
  • 16-03-2015 10:10pm

Has society become so sick that people will shout "Jump!" and video a man committing suicide.

Unfortunately, it has.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-shropshire-31903327
    Police have condemned onlookers who shouted "jump" and filmed a distressed man officers were trying to talk down from a tall building.
    One witness said she was "sickened" by the scene in Telford, Shropshire.
    West Mercia Police said it was "pretty appalling" as the man was "clearly in need of support and assistance".
    The man fell and was pronounced dead at about 15:40 GMT on Saturday. Police warned they could take action against anyone sharing the footage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

That's disgusting. I genuinely weep for humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

I'm not a bit surprised. People, as a whole, are a freakish mix of the divine and the disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The poor, poor guy. I wish people had thought to shout at him not to do it.

Absolute fcuking scumbags. I knew there were some nasty people in the world, but Christ, this is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Am I being ridiculously naive in thinking that wouldn't happen in Ireland?

I said something on another thread about Irish people being more helpful in general than the English. I wonder if its wishful thinking. Awful stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Many kids are being brought up to have no respect for anything. Wether it be money, authority or other people, it seems there is a real deficit in parenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

LDN_Irish wrote: »

I said something on another thread about Irish people being more helpful in general than the English. I wonder if its wishful thinking. Awful stuff altogether.

Yes, I think you are being naive.

A person is generally decent, people can be despicable. It was ever thus. At one point going to public hangings was seen as a great day out for all the family.

The sad fact is that the kids most likely didn't really mean what they said and were probably shocked when it actually happened, however, the adults videoing the death are despicable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Yep, just green tinted glasses.

In Waterford they whipped out their mobile phones to record someone who ended up under a vehicle, just like anywhere else, there are those that are appaled and those that almost take delight in the demise of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Happened a number of times online over the years where the victim, clearly having problems, being coaxed and encouraged to finish the job. First thing that came to mind when you asked. Yes, we are an odd species and hard to understand a lot of the time. Very distressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

For those that taunted him when he was distressed, hopefully treachery returns to the treacherous person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

At least they didn't tell him to do a flip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Seriously not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Mod: Knock it off with the jokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I know it sounds keyboardy, but I genuinely would belt one of the cnuts a few times if I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All Irish are sound, therefore it follows all English are w*nkers. :rolleyes:
    We must be so insecure as a nation that we always obsess about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Mod: Knock it off with the jokes

Pfft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Not clicking on that link. I get the picture from the title and the threads. Bunch of fcukheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

All Irish are sound, therefore it follows all English are w*nkers. :rolleyes:
    We must be so insecure as a nation that we always obsess about them.

No it's not that, I've lived almost exactly half of my life in England and have a lot of English family. It's just that in my experience there's a bit more community spirit in Ireland and also I would've thought someone would be more likely to shut someone up if they were shouting "jump!" People have confirmed what I suspected though, it was naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Facebook generation...

Need to post as much as possible to get those "likes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

No it's not that, I've lived almost exactly half of my life in England and have a lot of English family. It's just that in my experience there's a bit more community spirit in Ireland and also I would've thought someone would be more likely to shut someone up if they were shouting "jump!" People have confirmed what I suspected though, it was naive.

I'm in the wild west so maybe things are different here?

Whenever I bump into someone, make eye contact or whatever, 99% of the time the guy says "Howya, not a bad day." I don't know anywhere in England that, that would happen. Its most likely nothing/blank or "F Off""

So yes I think there is more community here.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Pfft

don't post in this thread again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It can be a sick sad world.:( I do worry about what the future holds for us when todays youth grows older and calls the shots. So many of them seem detached from the world and the irony is that they're spending so much time connected to social media that they aren't actually connecting to their society. Go to any event and people are watching it through their phones while they record it:confused: What an awful way for that poor chap to die, and to die being taunted by a crowd is obscene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

They should be charged with murder 2. Depraved indifference.

They do 5 - 10 upstate and toss bubbas salad.

Too much law and order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not clicking on that link. I get the picture from the title and the threads. Bunch of fcukheads.

I really want to believe that social media and technology is merely foregrounding an already existing/nascent strain of human cuntiness and desensitization which will remain inevitably static rather than the frankly terrifying idea that we may just be getting more horrible as a species.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Unfortunately it did.

In my own home city about 20 years ago.

Poor sod jumped off a tower crane to the encouragement of a few tossers on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Get lost you absolute freak!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Read title of thread with sad-face and thought no way! didn't happen!

Actually reading the snippet quoted was enough to turn my stomach; just sickening. Assistance was clearly needed and not thoughtless members of society showing their ignorance, yet again!
    Hate the fact that the family would know this was online & viral for all to watch. Jesus!

Oh what a world we live in!
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

This did happen in Galway @ 20 years ago at the Docks, didn't see it happen but was around the town that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Get lost you absolute freak!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Similar happened up in Thomas Street, D8 a year or so back. In the end, the guy didn't jump, just came down off the gear and a non-event.
    Last year, ditto on a roof in College Green.
    In both cases, kudos to the police and fire brigade with what was happening above and below.
    As for idiots shouting "jump" - we just wish them the best when circumstances demand they take their place on a roof somewhere.

Advertisement