Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil's Bit Cider

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Kepplers or rekorderlig is nice. People classing cider drinkers as scum are dumbasses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Rekordlig is infinitely more expensive and in a different range than Keppler's and all the others on the thread. Bulmers is mid range, well marketed and easily found cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

KilOit wrote: »
    Kepplers or rekorderlig is nice. People classing cider drinkers as scum are dumbasses.

I've seen alcos drinking worse,two alcos in Russia drinking bottles of aftershave followed by a handful of snow to get rid of the taste,a group of alcos in a new York park drinking rubbing alcohol!

I've seen alcos drinking worse,two alcos in Russia drinking bottles of aftershave followed by a handful of snow to get rid of the taste,a group of alcos in a new York park drinking rubbing alcohol!

In Ireland it was always the cooking sherry in a brown paper bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Id sooner drink waste oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ah a throw back to my junior cert year.

3 litre flagons were awesome.

eternal wrote: »
    In Ireland it was always the cooking sherry in a brown paper bag.

Everywhere has there cheap plonk,when I was a vagrant in the states it was 40oz bottles of olde English,steel reserve,colt 45,st ides high alcohol content malt liquor,the winos were drinking strong white port or MD 20\20 also known as bum wine!

What happened to Scrumpy Jack? I loved that as a teen.

eternal wrote: »
    What happened to Scrumpy Jack? I loved that as a teen.

Think its discontinued here

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Always liked Ritz perry - see how the rest of them have jumped on the pear as another thing to market in recent years when it used to be largely ignored except for Ritz and Babycham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

IMHO:
    Woodgate cider from LIDl is great. In 2L flagons its 25% cheaper than in cans.
    Taurus from ALDI is OK too.
    Bulmers is too sweet for me, but sometimes, in a pub I will drink it.
    Rosie's Dew is not bad.
    Linden Village: drank some many years back, liked it then. Now, not so much
    Applegreen: middling

You can probably tell I'm quite the connoisseur :D

edit:Favourite - Stonehouse, in cans. Not Stonewell, in bottles. Was disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭keanosbeard

Bit of semantics, legality and marketing trickery. Like the difference between " Strawberry Flavoured Ice Cream " and " Strawberry Ice Cream ".

Bulmers / Magners is a cider. It is made from apples

French Cider must be made from 100 % apple juice. As you would expect of the french. And bloody good stuff if you get a bottle of the Normandy stuff.

However, in the UK, a drink needs to consist of only 30 % apple product to be called Cider. Some of the leading white ciders, the 2 litre alco juices, are made from anything but apple. Just cheap sugar to ferment. I have read waste pasta, waste bread and glucose-fructose syrups.

Similarly, those fruity Scandanavian drinks, are not always cider. More cider based fruit flavored drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Yeah once had cider drink in France that was only 2% but tasted great,like real scrumpy.

Bit of semantics, legality and marketing trickery. Like the difference between " Strawberry Flavoured Ice Cream " and " Strawberry Ice Cream ".

Bulmers / Magners is a cider. It is made from apples

French Cider must be made from 100 % apple juice. As you would expect of the french. And bloody good stuff if you get a bottle of the Normandy stuff.

However, in the UK, a drink needs to consist of only 30 % apple product to be called Cider. Some of the leading white ciders, the 2 litre alco juices, are made from anything but apple. Just cheap sugar to ferment. I have read waste pasta, waste bread and glucose-fructose syrups.

Similarly, those fruity Scandanavian drinks, are not always cider. More cider based fruit flavored drink.

You can brew cider from cartons of apple juice as far as I know its called turbo cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

I always found it very drinkable, not deserving of its reputation really. Nicer than Druids anyway.

Stonehouse is unreal though.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    IMHO:
    Woodgate cider from LIDl is great. In 2L flagons its 25% cheaper than in cans.
    Taurus from ALDI is OK too.
    Bulmers is too sweet for me, but sometimes, in a pub I will drink it.
    Rosie's Dew is not bad.
    Linden Village: drank some many years back, liked it then. Now, not so much
    Applegreen: middling

You can probably tell I'm quite the connoisseur :D

edit:Favourite - Stonehouse, in cans. Not Stonewell, in bottles. Was disappointed.

It was Stonehouse I meant I made a mistake. It's definietly a mild one for the strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭keanosbeard

As Jeff Goldblum used to tell us, " All The Sugar Turns To Alcohol ".

Given that cider is a drink that is, supposedly, made from apples, which f**kin are full of sugar, I am always suspicious and dubious when I see some cider that is 4%.

Most commercial cider is full of additives and sugar and sweetners and fruit juice and is not even made from bloody apples !

Something like Henry Westons or Thatchers or a supermarket own brand "Vintage", at around 7% - 8% you know is the real deal. Proper Cider.

Then again, when you are 15, cider is just a thing like " Fortifed Wine " to get you off your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Druids = Tinned Petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Cidona for scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Owldshtok wrote: »
    Always liked Ritz perry - see how the rest of them have jumped on the pear as another thing to market in recent years when it used to be largely ignored except for Ritz and Babycham.

Them feckin hipsters at it again! Used to love pints of Scrumpy or Blackthorn but hard to get them now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Flaggons of Bulmers used have bits of apple floating around in them and came in 2 pint glass bottles with a bull on the label.
    Then they watered it down and put it 2litre plastic bottles.
    I think they stopped the 2litre flaggons in the late 90s.

Ah the good old bulmers flagon, Grown man in 30s now but still had to sheepishly confess long hidden secrets to the auld lad a few years ago when he found a few dozen of them behind the shed a few years ago doing a cleanup :).

I didn't even know they had been discontinued because frankly I haven't been able to look at the stuff since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

i quite like druids..though it does give me heartburn :( no other drink gives me that.
    bulmers is sickly sweet, and is very bloaty

Apple wine in Germany is lovely but it's low in alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Any Garda on here has climbed the Devil's Bit, there's not much else to do with your down time in the Templemore area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bulmers is probably the worst cider available in Ireland today. The power of marketing, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

I don't drink. Sounds like I'm missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Devils bit is rough tack but miles better than that poison linden village.
    That Stella cidre is damn good, Aldi tarus is a good bet too. Bulmers too sweet & fizzy.
    Any one try that French cider in aldi 8 in a box for €8.99 ? St. Eitheane I think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Try Woodgate Cider from Lidl, now that'd put hairs on your eyeballs.

sweet Jesus that's rough,aldis version Taurus is equally vile.Devils bit on the other hand is fairly drinkable,its certainly nicer than bulmers as the op mentioned.It has to be cold,but its the perfect choice for a hot day,whether it be a bbq with the family or a mad session down the canal.
    Its a favourite tipple of tramps because its cheap,strong and the bottle can be opened and closed at will.Perfect for a man about town whos always on the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

IMO people who like cider tend not to have very developed taste-buds.

Most people have grown out of cider by their late teens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Phil Mitchell

I drank a bottle of it recently and found it ok. Much nicer than bulmers. I'm not a regular cider drinker either.

Advertisement