Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil's Bit Cider

Options
  • 14-03-2015 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭

Why does this stuff have such a bad name?

I've often heard it called tramp fuel or knacker juice and the like.

I got a few bottles that were left over from a friends party and it's actually very nice for a dry cider. It's a lot fcukin nicer than Bulmers anyway.. and the people that drink that would look down their noses at it!

Are there any other beverages that are commonly ignored or ridiculed because of one thing or another, but are actually very nice to drink?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

:) why? because it's rancid!! if you're not joking then fair enough you've a good stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I would rather drink flat, day old Devils Bit with cigarette butts in it than Jillz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Try Woodgate Cider from Lidl, now that'd put hairs on your eyeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,721 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Bulmers used to be considered a scumbags drink,I know publicans who years ago if you ordered it would nearly tell you to get out straight away! Nothing wrong with devils bit or depth chargers as i used to call it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I think Devil's Bit is nice actually, and yeah, it's nicer than Bulmers.

Bulmers is far too sweet for my liking, but when I go out, there isn't much choice of ciders, so I end up drinking it anyway.
    After a few, my mouth feels horrible and my teeth feel scaly.

I'm really loving Appletree at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Two lesbians were having a drink and in a park and got arrested..

They didn't have a lick-her licence.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Why were the drunk lesbians arrested?

Because they didn't have a lick-her licence.

Get your coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I have fond memories of drinking it when I was 12/13 years old. Okay not "fond" and I don't remember it, but we did drink it.

Prefer Druids myself. Druids is definitely my skanger-juice of choice.
    Have yet to try those cider brands in Lidl that you never see anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Aldi's bargain beer Brasserie is quite nice and is only 5 euro for a pack of 10 bottles.

Disclaimer:may give you a headache and the squits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Why does this stuff have such a bad name?

Probably because it's cheap and favoured by the homeless community. Not the most marketable name tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Prefer Druids myself. Druids is definitely my skanger-juice of choice.
    Have yet to try those cider brands in Lidl that you never see anywhere else.

Aldi's Taurus cider is lovely.

I'm waiting for Angus von Bismarck to give his opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It's rotten compared to Bulmers but it is nicer then Druids and Linden Village. +1 on the Taurus stuff from Aldi, good tack.

Bulmers used to be considered a scumbags drink,

True, and then the marketing machine went in full motion with there is 3 types of Bulmer' Drinker, 1 -> Long Neck 2 -> Large Bottle & 3 -> Draught, though they omitted the original flagon drinker by the river type...

Marketing is a powerful tool...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't know how anyone can drink any kind of Cider,horrible stuff.

I've recently switched from bottles to cans.
    Bottles are far too gassy and there's very little apple flavour at all.
    Cans are where it's at now.
    But not by the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Aidric wrote: »
    Probably because it's cheap and favoured by the homeless community. Not the most marketable name tbf.

I mean it's named after some hill in Tipp. I dunno whether or not there's a load of hobos living up there.

I'm sure a lot of homeless people drink it but that's probably just because you can get it in a 2 liter bottles. It's not even cheaper than Bulmers in a lot of places. I was in Centra earlier and 2 liters cost €7, as opposed to 8 500ml cans of Bulmers for €13.

Meh.. it's nice tasting stuff anyway imo but I'm not a massive fan of cider so what do I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

you'll forget all your problems after the first can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Bulmer's is a knacker drink?:( Oh, it the only drink I like to drink as enjoyment as opposed to getting drunk. Hate beer, yet every guy and girl I know seems to love the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

NoDrama wrote: »
    True, and then the marketing machine went in full motion with there is 3 types of Bulmer' Drinker, 1 -> Long Neck 2 -> Large Bottle & 3 -> Draught, though they omitted the original flagon drinker by the river type...

Marketing is a powerful tool...

Druids,kepplers,and devils bit aren't bad and could have potential...linden village now that's some proper cheap and nasty cider

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Try Diamond White OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Frosty Jack is my all time favourite. I buy it any time I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Love Druids, Like Devils Bit, Hate Bulmers. Burn me at the stake. It's a matter of taste and to be honest, drinking at home I would much prefer a few tinnies of Druids that the sh1te that Bulmers serve. It just has a better taste, and at 6%, you'll be f00kin fat b1tches in no time!!! Not my quote btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I don't think I've had Devil's Bit, but I don't think it could be as bad as Bulmers. I used to drink Bulmers regularly enough but now wouldn't bother as it is too sugary and always left a horrible dry scaly taste in my mouth after a few. Old English and Old Rosie are ok but that said I wouldn't be much of a cider drinker anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AndThatsAFact

Anyone know where K Cider can be got?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Flaggons of Bulmers used have bits of apple floating around in them and came in 2 pint glass bottles with a bull on the label.
    Then they watered it down and put it 2litre plastic bottles.
    I think they stopped the 2litre flaggons in the late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I always switch to the aul cider after a rake of lager or Guinness. Cold and sweetness is a welcome change. In fact, I might get a pint bottle right now...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Stonehouse isn't bad even though nobody has mentioned it. It's not gut ripping.

Advertisement