Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil's Bit Cider

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm waiting for Angus von Bismarck to give his opinion.

No doubt it'll be the usual drivel involving being better than everyone else. It has become very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

IMO people who like cider tend not to have very developed taste-buds.

Most people have grown out of cider by their late teens.

People who make statements like that tend not to have very developed taste.The main 'ciders' on the Irish market are not really proper cider at all.Try a nice scrumpy from England or any one of the amazing ciders from Normandy and come back to us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bulmers
    Linden Village
    Devils Bit

What do they have in common?

All from the Premier County, hon Tipp!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I drank a bottle of it recently and found it ok. Much nicer than bulmers. I'm not a regular cider drinker either.

I thought vodka no ice was your poison Mr Mitchell :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Ah, those were the days. buying a bumbler of bulmers. remember them?
    Or
    having a canary when you went to Dublin and asking for a bottle bulmers and being handed this tiny little long neck. wtf? the same price for half the amount!

Billy bulmers was my best drinking buddy. couldn't touch the stuff now. would cut the stomach out of ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Bulmers
    Linden Village
    Devils Bit

What do they have in common?

All from the Premier County, hon Tipp!! :cool:

Homeless shelters in Tipp must be bursting at the seams!
    :);)

Nah, we send our citizens to Dublin to steal jobs and wimmins :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Most people have grown out of cider by their late teens.

I only started drinking cider in my 30's ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Bulmers used to be considered a scumbags drink,I know publicans who years ago if you ordered it would nearly tell you to get out straight away! Nothing wrong with devils bit or depth chargers as i used to call it
    I used to work with a bloke who managed a pub in Rathmines and he did that. If you ordered Bulmers you were out the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    That Stella cidre is damn good

Absolutely agree. Can't believe no one else has mentioned this yet. Miles nicer than Bulmers. Impossible to get in most pubs though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Strongbow is some god awful cider! Anyone here tried woodpecker cider? Its brewed by bulmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Best cider is a Dickins.....

I like my Dickins cider i must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bulmers / Magners is a cider. It is made from apples

French Cider must be made from 100 % apple juice. As you would expect of the french. And bloody good stuff if you get a bottle of the Normandy stuff.

However, in the UK, a drink needs to consist of only 30 % apple product to be called Cider. Some of the leading white ciders, the 2 litre alco juices, are made from anything but apple. Just cheap sugar to ferment. I have read waste pasta, waste bread and glucose-fructose syrups.
    Bulmers can be put into the heavily watered down "cider" too. Its highy priced, cheaply produced alcohol -a lot of added costs will be the marketing. The marketing by bulmers is incredibly misleading, I don't know how they get away with it, especially when they are such cheeky fuckers about it.

They had an advert for pear cider and said that it was made from 100% pear juice. This however meant there were no other juices in it, they did not declare the low % of juice in it. They did not add in cheap juice like apple to make up the missing sugar -no they just added back sugar and water. So they try and sneerinlgy disregard the other ciders which do us other juices -which in fact is seen as better practise by most brewers, it is certainly more expensive.

"don't you hate being misled" was the start of the advert, it showed a guy going into a burger joint and the photo looked nothing like the burger he got.
    6. What are the ingredients / from what is Bulmers Pear made?
    Bulmers Pear is made from 100% quality Pear Juice. The Bulmers Pear recipe is a safely guarded secret.
    Bulmers Pear contains a significant level of high quality, pear juice
    Significant presumably means the bare minimum to get over the legal limit. Just like their apple cider is -otherwise why would they not openly declare it? like proper cider producers might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did devils bit used to be called devils spit back in the day?

Also bulmers changed their logo from a bull to a cask around the time they tried to overcome their public image of being rocket fuel for flagon wielding head cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Lets face it if they packaged it better, raised the price & spent 100's of millions making ads , all the apple fanboys would be here acting like fine connoisseurs of devil bit cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Stonehouse apparently puts hair on your ribs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Best cider is a Dickins.....

I like my Dickins cider i must admit.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

that's a slow burner. :) you're too clever banjo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

As far as cheap cider goes, I'd choose Taurus, it's the only one that's even mildly drinkable to me without already being drunk. Not a fan of cider in general though, absolutely hate the stuff, not a single thing I can think of that I wouldn't take over cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

rubadub wrote: »
    Bulmers can be put into the heavily watered down "cider" too. Its highy priced, cheaply produced alcohol -a lot of added costs will be the marketing. The marketing by bulmers is incredibly misleading, I don't know how they get away with it, especially when they are such cheeky fuckers about it.

They had an advert for pear cider and said that it was made from 100% pear juice. This however meant there were no other juices in it, they did not declare the low % of juice in it. They did not add in cheap juice like apple to make up the missing sugar -no they just added back sugar and water. So they try and sneerinlgy disregard the other ciders which do us other juices -which in fact is seen as better practise by most brewers, it is certainly more expensive.

"don't you hate being misled" was the start of the advert, it showed a guy going into a burger joint and the photo looked nothing like the burger he got.

Significant presumably means the bare minimum to get over the legal limit. Just like their apple cider is -otherwise why would they not openly declare it? like proper cider producers might do.

You know the way it says made with 17 varieties of apples on the bottle,well one year they ran out of apples so had to use some cheap apples from China and various other places,a rep from c & c told me that,plus the pear cider was running the guts out of everyone so they changed the recipe unfortunately no one went back for round two of it,I've heard stories of lads literally sh*tting themselves standing at the bar from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You know the way it says made with 17 varieties of apples on the bottle,well one year they ran out of apples so had to use some cheap apples from China and various other places,a rep from c & c told me that,plus the pear cider was running the guts out of everyone so they changed the recipe unfortunately no one went back for round two of it,I've heard stories of lads literally sh*tting themselves standing at the bar from it.

Happened me with the pair cider (ran the guts out of me, not the sh*tting myself at the bar) Haven't touched it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

In terms of nice strong cider, personally I'd go for Druids over Devil's Bit any day. I think, although I could be wrong about this, that the difference is Druids is made with red apples and Devil's Bit is made with green ones? Anyone know if this is the case?
    Either way, Druids I find has a slightly less tangy flavour than Devil's Bit. It's more subdued. I think perhaps Devil's Bit is just a bit fizzier - too fizzy for my liking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Happened me with the pair cider (ran the guts out of me, not the sh*tting myself at the bar) Haven't touched it since.

Is that in any way comparable to the Guinness Sh!ts, which I only recently discovered were a universal phenomenon and not an indication that something was seriously wrong with my arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In terms of nice strong cider, personally I'd go for Druids over Devil's Bit any day. I think, although I could be wrong about this, that the difference is Druids is made with red apples and Devil's Bit is made with green ones? Anyone know if this is the case?
    Either way, Druids I find has a slightly less tangy flavour than Devil's Bit. It's more subdued. I think perhaps Devil's Bit is just a bit fizzier - too fizzy for my liking anyway.
    The red/green apple thing sounds like a myth. I'd say theyre all made from the apples that are too bruised/mouldy/deformed to be sold for eating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Devil's Bit is absolutely vile stuff. I've only ever smelt it, and that was more than enough. A cheap and vulgar drink that is drank by trashy individuals.

I'm not much of a cider drinker myself, but if I was having one, I would choose a decent upmarket English or Scottish cider like Thistly Cross or Samuel Smith's organic. Drinks that taste like a refined adult beverage instead of a child’s juice box, with just enough sweetness to go down easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Google is a great ..tool isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Are there any other beverages that are commonly ignored or ridiculed because of one thing or another, but are actually very nice to drink?

Pretty much every fecking drink I like seems to be ridiculed. :rolleyes: I used to always get slagged for drinking Bulmers because apparently its only for women and sissy boys who can't handle a real drink. Coors Light was another one I got slagged for. I drink Despardos now. I haven't been slagged yet but its early days. Why is it that all the so called man's drinks taste like piss?

Governor Cider

Loved this cider. But I haven't seen it in about two years, not since Tesco were trialling their beers of the world

It may have gone the same way as Vanilla Coke :(

It can be bought in restaurants but I don't know anywhere in Ireland that has it. Saying that I didn't try outside supermarkets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Is that in any way comparable to the Guinness Sh!ts, which I only recently discovered were a universal phenomenon and not an indication that something was seriously wrong with my arse?

Not really, the first batch of Bulmers Pear was literally like a laxative. A strong, quick-working laxative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Ohh God yeah the Bulmers Pear is awful. Stick with the apples for feck sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why does this stuff have such a bad name?

Because anything classified as a cider is usually complete píss.

Advertisement