Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil's Bit Cider

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I've had them all. Blackthorn and scrumpy were great. I didn't mind Strongbow at all.

We could get Merrydown, White Lightning and TNT up north back in the day. Woodpecker too was nice.

Lightning was cheap as and at over 8% you can imagine the tomfoolery after a 3 ltr. And maybe a tin of Tennents extra to chase it.

But nothing beats a crisp Breton or Norman cidre. Out of a bowl with a smoked salmon crêpe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Not really, the first batch of Bulmers Pear was literally like a laxative. A strong, quick-working laxative.

Yes, yes it was.... I can back it up.. The pear wasn't long on the market and the effects weren't widely known. I was heading on a flight to Lisbon surfing after necking 4 pint bottles of this beauty. OMG is all I can say... My throat nearly fell out the other end... I hadn't a clue what was Goin on... Lucky I was in the tide for a few days to cleanse my self...
    Tis fixed now tho ! No more squirts !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Remember a girl i was seeing back then had a fondness for koppaberg pear and when we were having a night away in a hotel she tried the bulmers pear. No fun sexeh time for me that night, thanks bulmers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Why does this stuff have such a bad name?

Because anything classified as a cider is usually complete píss.

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Ohh God yeah the Bulmers Pear is awful. Stick with the apples for feck sake.

It was nice at the start. But it gave loads of people the squirts, so they had to change it. Now it's awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I love Rekorderlig and Kopperberg, Rekorderlig is a fecking pain to try and get down in Kerry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Because anything classified as a cider is usually complete píss.

I wouldn't disagree with that. It's part of the reason I was so surprised that Devil's Bit was actually quite nice!

It tastes nothing like the sickly sweet stuff that passes as cider for most people, like Bulmers or Scrumpy etc. It's a lot more similar to old English ciders than it is to those drinks.

As someone else said, they could start producing less of the stuff, up the price and do some rebranding and swanky marketing and a whole other demographic of people would soon become fans of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Not really, the first batch of Bulmers Pear was literally like a laxative. A strong, quick-working laxative.

Ah yes, whereas the Guinness sh!ts are a ticking time bomb which an unexperienced drinker can remain unaware of until hours after it's too late to stop the carnage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I wouldn't disagree with that. It's part of the reason I was so surprised that Devil's Bit was actually quite nice!

It tastes nothing like the sickly sweet stuff that passes as cider for most people, like Bulmers or Scrumpy etc. It's a lot more similar to old English ciders than it is to those drinks.

As someone else said, they could start producing less of the stuff, up the price and do some rebranding and swanky marketing and a whole other demographic of people would soon become fans of it.

Exactly, it's all about marketing as always. I'm consistently amazed at how genuinely better tasting and stronger "knacker" beers (IE, non-Diageo brands you only get in Aldi or Lidl) are. I'd happily pay Heineken / Guinness prices for Perlenbacher for instance.

Advertisement