Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's film or TV shows that were too F-ed up for kids?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I only vaguely remember this but I know it used to creep me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As parents who love sharing stuff with our kids we've actually started to pre-screen some of our own childhood favourites before letting the kids watch them. We're not at all prudish about what we'll let them watch (they both love Jaws for instance) but it's very easy for some totally inappropriate things to appear in movies that are ostensibly for kids.

One that nearly caught us out was Gremlins. There's a scene in it where the main romantic interest describes how her Dad was killed climbing down the chimney while pretending to be Santa Claus that'd quickly turn most kids into non-believers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭finno

Rainbow has to be up there

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

finno wrote: »
    Rainbow has to be up there

That clip was never broadcast, it was something put together for a retirement party or something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Trapdoor - holy mother of Jeebus, that used to frighten the LIFE outta me. I'd watch it though, just to show my brother I was as tough as he was but every night after I watched it, my God, the nightmares and sleepwalking were something else. It was like that scene from Stepbrothers, my poor parents.

Ren and Stimpy still kind of freaks me out, I must admit.

I want to high-five whoever mentioned Earthworm Jim, that was a seriously awesome cartoon.

And finally, the one cartoon that scarred me for life - Watership Down. I was in senior infants and the teacher decided it would be awesome to show it to a class of 4-5 yr olds. 25 years later and I still well up any time I hear that bloody Bright Eyes song :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

Chanel freak, 100% agreed especially with water ship down. Trapdoor was brilliant & I think it's available on dvd so I'll get it for my kids. Who remembers 'knight mare?' Great kids tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

@MattD1349 - I cannot believe I forgot about Knightmare! That used to seriously PETRIFY me :( I think I must have blocked it from my memory haha, too traumatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

The snake.....the stupid feckin crow .... that ould bibe "Godmother".....and many other yokes used to creep me out watching Wanderly Wagon.....but it was the only kids program on RTE back then

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Actually, come to think of it, 'Space 1999' had some really screwed up moments.

"Your space show is TV Tony"

"Yaaaaaay...Brilliant!!!"

BAM! This fecker appears...

https://extraterrestrialsexuality.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/alienblob.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

The Animals of Farthing Wood was a bit grim with all the death and that.

Also, don't even get me started with this show... Trippy would be one word to describe it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Incredibly freaky Christian television for kids. :confused::eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"IIII'mmmmmmmmm cooooolllllldddd"

Who's Afraid of the Dark.

Watched it on youtube at home a few weeks and the OH wouldn't come into the room until the clip finished.

Advertisement