Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's film or TV shows that were too F-ed up for kids?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watership Down has already been mentioned but scared the **** out of me.

The Last Unicorn was quite traumatic for me too.

Rocko's Modern Life was great and I seem to remember Earthworm Jim being in a similar vein in terms of jokes that were aimed at adults.

In terms of more contemporary stuff I don't see how a child would truly appreciate the psychedelic weirdness of Adventure Time or Spongebob Squarepants. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

Its got a Universal cert! Its terrifying.
    • Banshee
    • Scary ghost coach
    • Eh, did I mention the banshee?
    • Sean Connery's Irish accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I found most fairy tales scary, none more so than The Snow Queen.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is an awful thing to watch as a small child, my parents took me to the stage show in the West End and I was terrified. I dreamt about The Child Catcher for a long time afterwards.

Good family fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The Moomins used to weird me out as a kid :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Macavity. wrote: »
    The Animals of Farthing Wood, loved it as a child.

This was the most depressing cartoon ever. Something awful always happened in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Whenever a thread like this pops up I always end up mentioning Are you Afraid of the Dark? Some episodes (the clown one, dead ghost kid with red jacket) were just terrifying. It ended up getting banned in our house.

The first Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. That scene in the tunnel was nuts and really not suitable for young children.

There was an Australian TV show, Round the Twist, that had a few eerie episodes which, I guess you could say, freaked me out.

Nothing else really springs to mind. Maybe Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

Ren and Stimpy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Worzel Gummidge
    That scary robot/computer monster woman from superman.
    The Ernest film with the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

The Batman cartoon was pretty dark, great too.

Some Animaniacs stuff was a bit close to the wire and Freakazoid was plain mental. First episode has a voyer/kid snatcher in a trenchcoat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Rimini Riddle.

/thread.

Its amazing how few people remember this program. Maybe some people were so traumatised by it their mind purged it from their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

So messed up. Poor Ash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Round the Twist had some genuinely creepy episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the answers lies in what particular drugs were popular in the era that the kids programmes were made

those wild weekends that the wide eyed producers and creators experienced were not left at the studio door at 9am Monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Animal farm was a bit too warped for kids. Then again a lot of stuff from the 70's and early 80's was fairly dodgy, yet we all survived. Looking back at the kids programming from those days it seems that most of the stuff was made by people off their heads on drugs. :D

I'm sure George Orwell didn't have kids as his target market when he wrote Animal Farm but it was easier to film it in animation than real life.

Rimini Riddle has already been mentioned, and when I watched it, I was probably a 20 year old student, watching along with my younger siblings. Great stuff!

This is the only clip that seems to exist:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Don't know if anybody mentioned Courage the Cowardly Dog, but between "Return the Slab" and the fungus episode, I was fairly traumatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Animaniacs really pushed it far sometimes... the 'finger Prince' joke went waay over my head as a kid!!!:D

Santa leaving "a big load" is another one from animaniacs.:pac:
    Falthyron wrote: »
    "Jack-a$$", children smoking cigars, drinking beer - this would be an 18s rated movie by today's certification standards. I saw this as a child and didn't think much of it, but I saw it again recently and I couldn't believe what was being shown as a 'kids' film. I know it's a cartoon and by Disney, but even still, this would not be given a kids rating today.

Just goes to show that we're over protective these days. And yet kids are still far less innocent today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Used to scare the **** outa me when I was a kid. Straight paedo vibes off this lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh I forgot about Eerie Indiana too, some creepy episodes in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

These shows are clearly fantasy, I got no problem with those. That iCarly show, though, shit like that around now, that's pretty uncool. Little girls broadcast themselves over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Mickeroo wrote: »

RTE really ****ed up the scheduling of that show (amongst a load of other good shows). I think they aired the same episode each week at 3 different times and on different days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

The Fogbrook Thing. It was a short video at the beginning of the Space Camp VHS when you rented it in Australia.

My friend and I ended up hiding under her bed until her father got home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

The Incredible Hulk (TV series with Bill Bixby) - as a kid I used to feel physically nauseous every time he transformed, those weird eyes and the music always freaked me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Couldn't remember the name of this for years, finally got it from boards a few months ago. Scared the crap out of me as a kid, think of a six year old watching Skippy or The Flying Doctors and this slimy green thing appearing on screen:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Mickeroo wrote: »

Episode with the family who preserved themselves in giant lunchboxes! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Teletubblies with the screens in their tummies - what is that all about?? - and the baby in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A while back got stoned and ended up watching Johnson & Friends, setiously messed up. A talkibg water bottle???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Watership down terrified me as a kid.

The never ending story because of gmork :(

Willow- The wolves/monsters that chased after him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Advertisement