Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's film or TV shows that were too F-ed up for kids?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

The weekend that is in it

The Flight of the Doves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Always found this weird, a show on Children’s ITV about an invisible alien that only a boy can hear,

This fella also scared the crap outta me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Barney the dinosaur was creepy as fúck really.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Anyone ever hear of Candle Cove?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Johnny Bravo was a bit OTT, though funny. "Hey Foxy Momma , you smell kinda pretty, wanna smell me ?", amongst other gems :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

My 7yr old is really freaked out by the film coroline, she cant even look at the dvd cover, i had to get rid of it altogether:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Worzel gummidge was revolting! He was just a dirty old man, totally creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Birneybau wrote: »
    He didn't have it easy when it finished...

http://usvsth3m.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DdFQL3t.jpg

But he did manage to carve a good rap career for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

My husband is still terrified to this day of The Goonies, and Cocoon.
    Eerie Indiana, now that brings back memories. I remember that lunchbox episode.
    Also had totally repressed memories of watching animal farm as a child. Realised when reading the book for a college module that I'd been so upset by the scene where boxer is brought off to the knackers yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

I mentioned this before in another thread but The Labyrinth with David Bowie was very dark.

It is suggested that bowies charachter at least twice her age, was romantically interested in the 15 year old Sarah (jennifer conolly ). Some people actually think that the dance scene in the film where Sarah eats a peach that makes her seem to hallucinate is a metaphor for date rape.

When I watched it as a child, I just thought, it was a girl going round a maze trying to get her baby brother back from a bad guy wizard :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Jim'll fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Erie Indiana was the one were Elvis was his neighbor and bigfoot raided his garbage every morning wasn't it? Round the twist was another great one. They were always trying to catch the ghost in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Archeron

Under the mountain was a show that creeped me out.
    Another was Robin and Rosie of Cockleshell bay. Even though there was nothing creepy in it, something about all the characters really made my hackles rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't know if this made it on to tv but its pretty popular on the net and kids seem to love it, the nutters. Happy Tree Friends.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,985 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Into The Labyrinth'

'Under the Mountain'

For kids apparently.

The titles alone on 'Into the Labyrinth' used to scare the bejaysis out of me. But, in 'Under the Mountain', an Australian program shown on BBC in the 80's, there were these mud men that were horrific to a small child.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

goosebumps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Anyone remember The Demon Headmaster? It was seriously freaky

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Time Bandits
    Into the Labyrinth
    The Dark Crystal
    Ren & Stimpy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Courage the cowardly dog is such a strange and weird yet amazing show :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Not sure if this was posted already... El weirdo cartoon banned from TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Gilbert the Alien voiced by the great Phil Cornwell....he really was far out there for a kids Saturday morning show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

How in the name of ****e was I meant to turn out a well adjusted adult after being subjected to Animals of Farthing Wood as a ween? Never stood a chance tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Hocus Pocus used to give me the heebie jeebies.

How could I forget Dr Who? Some episodes sacred the sh*te out of me as a kid.

There also a game show in the early/mid 1980s which was a bit like The Crystal Maze where the kids had to solve problems or else face evaporation at the end. That scared a very timid 7 year old me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

JupiterKid wrote: »
    How could I forget Dr Who? Some episodes sacred the sh*te out of me as a kid.

There also a game show in the early/mid 1980s which was a bit like The Crystal Maze where the kids had to solve problems or else face evaporation at the end. That scared a very timid 7 year old me!

Sounds like The Adventure Game's Vortex challenge ??

McDermotX wrote: »
    Sounds like The Adventure Game's Vortex challenge ??

Yep. That's the one indeed!:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Forgot about Catweazel, what the bloody hell! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Wait, so can I blame these messed up childhood cartoons for the way I turned out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

"Inhumanoids" for those of us a certain age and disposition, this was an animated programme shown on "Super Channel" (remember that channel) back in the late 80's, was shown , i think, on a Friday afternoon.

Anyway the concept of the cartoon was a cross between Transformers meets The Living Dead, was scary as hell for a nipper of my age. How it was broadcast was beyond me, ah the nostalgia!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Chocky - creepy alien presence

Children of the Stones - satanic references, cult

Earthfasts - stones moving on the Yorkshire Moors. A 200 year-old drummer boy appears from a rock

Elidor - young children pursued by an ugly soldier and his 'gimp' accomplice

Under the Mountain - New Zealand kids chased by alien shapeshifters. More like a junior horror

Terrahawks - that ugly Zelda creature with her mutant children

Advertisement