Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's film or TV shows that were too F-ed up for kids?

Options
  • 13-03-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Recently seen the film Return to Oz. This was a children's film where Dorothy was sent to a mental institution, a witch has a case full of disembodied heads and there's a desert where people turn to sand if they touch it :confused::confused:. Retrospectively this seemed a bit adult for kids. What TV shows or films disturbed you as a kid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 LookLordSugar

Ulysses

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The witches, The little princess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

HR Pufnstuf. The 60's version I knew. Apparently remade, ignore that one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

Forty Coats was a bit warped at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Some episodes of Worzel Gummidge. The Crowmaster kept threatening to throw him on the bonfire if he was bad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Without a doubt, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (due to the child catcher)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

Ruu wrote: »
    Some episodes of Worzel Gummidge. The Crowmaster kept threatening to throw him on the bonfire if he was bad. :(

Not only that - but he could literally rip his own head off and stick on another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Also, Aunt Sally in Worzel Gummidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

"The Boy From Space" really freaked me out when I was a kid.
    I saw it in school but I have no idea why they showed it to us. That's the early eighties for you I guess...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifqn0vursW8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The Dark Crystal

Everything in those days was ****ed up and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dante2015

we used to watch a program called middle english in primary school i was about 8 and they showed a ghost story

basically a family go on holiday to a cottage in the middle of nowhere everything is fine till dad turns up and thats when the crying starts,

they turn on the radio there is wailing, they go to sleep and there is wailing, everywhere in the house there is just this crying they dont know where it is coming from and then turn on the tele and an old womans face appears and is wailing and crying, turn out she thought the dad was her long dead son and she came back as a ghost and was crying over him,

scared the **** out of me i couldnt sleep for weeks after that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watership Down!

Ren & Stimpy fairly pushed it for a kids show, they got in trouble quite a few times with Nickelodeon about sneaking things in kids definitely wouldn't have picked up on.

One episode they were salesmen selling the old rubber nipples for milk bottles. They get to one house, a husband and wife, where the innuendo is laid on thick and the husband is told by her that he has perfectly good nipples that he never uses. He replies back that they're all old and chewed up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

"Jack-a$$", children smoking cigars, drinking beer - this would be an 18s rated movie by today's certification standards. I saw this as a child and didn't think much of it, but I saw it again recently and I couldn't believe what was being shown as a 'kids' film. I know it's a cartoon and by Disney, but even still, this would not be given a kids rating today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ren and Stimpy.

Watched it recently again and I actually could not believe this could ever have been broadcast to children. It's often inappropriate but constantly deeply disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

+1 for water ship down thought the general was going to get me for years after......

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ren and Stimpy.

Watched it recently again and I actually could not believe this could ever have been broadcast to children. It's often inappropriate but constantly deeply disturbing.

Disturbingly hilarious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If I was gonna pick any kids show that is totally inappropriate for kids, it has to be 'Bratz'

Horrible show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Children of the Stones
    The Tomorrow People
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    Shadows (ITV)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Theflyingegg

Have to admit the show Goosebumps used to scare the daylights out of me as a kid. Yet I watched it every week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

The queen post transformation in Snow White scares the **** out of me to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Similar to Ren & Stimpy; Rocko's Modern Life. Watched an episode a few weeks ago where Rocko's elderly neighbour felt unloved by her husband and proceeded to spend the episode trying to seduce Rocko. Brilliant but clearly targeted towards adults on a kids channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Thank this post and you will get a complimentary anema and a foot massage by a man with leprosy.

Rimini Riddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Animal farm was a bit too warped for kids. Then again a lot of stuff from the 70's and early 80's was fairly dodgy, yet we all survived. Looking back at the kids programming from those days it seems that most of the stuff was made by people off their heads on drugs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

The Animals of Farthing Wood, loved it as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Thomas the Tank Engine

Is mean come on, talking trains..

He didn't have it easy when it finished...

http://usvsth3m.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DdFQL3t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Ruu wrote: »
    Worzel Gummidge terrified me as a child. Seriously creepy stuff.

Advertisement