Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel embarrassed about healthy lifestyle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭circadian

lufties wrote: »
    So I'm a healthy eater, vegetables, quinoa, organic, coconut oil etc etc. I do yoga, don't drink, don't smoke. (I wasn't always like this).

I've noticed how unhealthy people I work with eat and when they observe my eating habits(especially work colleagues), I get reactions that make me feel uncomfortable or that I'm being 'all uppidy', hipster, perhaps even a bit snobbish :rolleyes:

Anyone else experience this?

Don't let it bother you. Enjoy your food and let them judge whilst stuffing their faces with crap. I eat junk food but I also balance with a lot of salad and fresh veg. Not so much fruit though. Couldn't give a flying what anyone thinks of my diet, as long as I'm enjoying my food!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

People are funny. At Christmas just gone I was 3.5 stone overweight so I made it my new years resolution to lose weight and just get in better shape. I'm getting older so have to think about these things. So now I am losing weight, running a few times a week, not drinking and instead of getting praise I'm getting slagged off for being healthy by the very same people who slagged me off for being fat. Can't win. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

So I'm a healthy eater, vegetables, quinoa, organic, coconut oil etc etc. I do yoga, don't drink, don't smoke. (I wasn't always like this).

I've noticed how unhealthy people I work with eat and when they observe my eating habits(especially work colleagues), I get reactions that make me feel uncomfortable or that I'm being 'all uppidy', hipster, perhaps even a bit snobbish :rolleyes:

To hell with what they think. People like that aren't worth worrying about. ( I say this as someone who has the polar opposite of your diet!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

eviltwin wrote: »
    People are funny. At Christmas just gone I was 3.5 stone overweight so I made it my new years resolution to lose weight and just get in better shape. I'm getting older so have to think about these things. So now I am losing weight, running a few times a week, not drinking and instead of getting praise I'm getting slagged off for being healthy by the very same people who slagged me off for being fat. Can't win. :(

You are winning.

The only thing that occasionally aggravates people is my being a non-drinker, and only in certain places and usually a particular demographic. Doesn't bother me. If my not drinking upsets them, it's their problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

I get reactions that make me feel uncomfortable or that I'm being 'all uppidy', hipster, perhaps even a bit snobbish :rolleyes:

Fúck them, they're most likely just jealous & haven't the mental fortitude for healthy options.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

I hate this. It all comes down to jealousy and ignorance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

I pity your work colleagues, like I pity some of mine.

What an utter waste of money it is buying lunch everyday (on top of your weekly shopping). It's usually junk too.

A bit of time and effort in the kitchen is rewarding in many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

*choking on burger in anger*

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I could not give a flying feck about what you do and what you shove up your mouth as long as it does not interact or influence me in any way.

Example:

You eating away your carrot wrapped in salad leaf and minding your own business - Great.
    You eating away your carrot wrapped in salad leaf and at the same time telling me how amazing it is to be vegetarian and how bad meet is for you - would ya kindly just feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

My inlaws used to always give me guff for being a vegetarian. :rolleyes:
    I don't care what anyone else eats but sometimes people feel the need to comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 geniuspure

be proud wish i had the discipline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

There is absolutely no need to feel embarrassed about leading a healthy lifestyle. A good diet, exercise, and a regular sleep pattern have tremendous benefits for your physical and mental health. It's one of the finest gifts you can give yourself. What starts off as requiring discipline will soon become so enjoyable and positive that you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

I'll start off the vast majority of mornings with a run. The length will vary depending on my training regime, but I've been known to run up to 12k of a weekday morning. It's such an invigorating way to start the day. Watching the sun just start to rise as you set out and hit the tarmac.

Home for a shower, then breakfast. This meal has gone from one that I thought of a necessary evil to one I really love. I don't follow any of these silly fad diets as I believe your own body will signal what is a healthy and balanced diet. I'll always juice up a large selection of vegetables with some fruit. I'm getting 5 portions of veg and fruit into me before I even leave for work. Couple of poached eggs, kippers, homemade granola - it depends on my mood.

Try to keep away from processed food in so far as it is possible. I don't have a sweet tooth anyway, so I rarely find myself craving a bar of milk chocolate or a soft drink. A handful of seeds and nuts is now my idea of a wholesome, filling and nutritious snack.

Evening times will be a home cooked meal on most days. Again, I don't bother calorie counting or looking to see if I'm overdoing it with my carbs. It will be healthy, balanced and tasty. I may do some other light exercise of a weekday evening - perhaps a swim, light weights session, pilates.

People keep pulling me up on it around here, but I must also sell the tremendous benefits of incorporating even 15 minutes of mindfulness meditation into your evening. It's a hugely positive thing to do as a cog in this whole body/mind dynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭threeball

So what, plough your own furrow and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks, you're doing exactly the same thing in your own way.

I was out for a few pints with a few lads on Saturday, some I knew, some who were friends of theirs. They were skelping back pints, vodka and coke etc. I just drank at my own pace skipped a pint sometimes when they went for a round but bought my round when it came. You should have enough conviction and confidence in yourself to not give a bollX.

A couple of them said after to me, fair play I couldn't have done that but for the life of me I can't understand why. We're supposed to be a little more sophisticated than sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Its a bit of a blue collar, male dominated, unsophisticated workplace.

Think we've found the reason people think you're uppity and snobbish...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I eat Turkey on wholemeal bread, a salad and fruit everyday with green tea.
    I've been asked if I'm vegan.

I usually gobble down the a sandwich first as it's the only thing that's appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Occasionally yes, although I always eat in my car now at break time, partly because of all my healthy grub, but mostly because there's not enough room in our pokey little canteen for everybody that works there. I have been called a "health freak" on occasion, or "what sort of shyte is that?" someone might say. I take supplements everyday which include whey protein, multivitamins, cod liver oil and glucosamine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I eat Turkey on wholemeal bread, a salad and fruit everyday with green tea.
    I've been asked if I'm vegan.

I usually gobble down the a sandwich first as it's the only thing that's appealing.

Slow learners? :pac:

Sounds like I'm lucky, I eat healthily (badly on friday ;)), am vegan, and go to the gym every lunch time. I only get encouragement and complements about it from colleagues, most just say whatever I have looks and smells great.

We now have started doing running events and obstacle tough man events with work. Being healthy is certainly something you shouldn't feel anything but good about, but If you get comments otherwise I wouldn't really be talking to them and you shouldn't either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

There just jealous of your healthy ways, ignore them, they actually called you a hipster?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There just jealous of your healthy ways, ignore them, they actually called you a hipster?

He was probably oiling his beard at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah we are total food hipsters.

"What are you eating?"
    "You've probably never heard of it"

:pac:

I get the exact opposite. I get "oh that looks lovely, I must get my act together and bring lunch with me". One of the lads in work started using a slow cooker he was going to throw out because of the food I was eating.

It's probably just because everyone I work with is trying to be healthy, so they don't find the fact I'm doing it offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,416 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Your bananas to be worried about what people think. I think your only a hipster if you grow a beard....women included!!:D
    in ten/twenty years time you will look and feel much better for your age then batter burger brigade.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I read a quote last week "I've only been gluten free for a week now and I'm already annoying"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

cerastes wrote: »
    By the way, where you getting the cocunut oil, and any links how to include it? Got something but it turns out its a jar of coconut paste, came from an Asian store but it seems its limited and geared towards ertain asian cooking rather than what I'd hoped as more eastern.

Coconut Oil is solid at room temperature so most likely what you got is the real deal. Heat your pan/wok then scoop a table spoon of the oil in. It'll melt into a clear/translucent oil. Test that the oil is hot enough and stir-fry as usual. Simples.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Nah but one of the lads asked me out loud in front of everyone, so,lufties what are you doing on your days off? Quinnoa in coconut oil along with meditation? Trying to get a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Nah but one of the lads asked me out loud in front of everyone, so,lufties what are you doing on your days off? Quinnoa in coconut oil along with meditation? Trying to get a laugh.

Sounds like a Cnut...I ignore people getting onto me (and I wish I was as healthy as you)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

If people have a problem with healthy living, it says more about their insecurities & lack of self control/motivation than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

eviltwin wrote: »

Shower of bollocks-faces.

I've always eaten fairly healthily, even as a student (though I drank and smoked like a drinking, smoking fish from hell) and was the only one in my flat boiling up some veg to put with my frozen fish and not eating those jambon things from Centra. The only iffy reaction I've gotten is when I've refused takeaway, chips and burgers or McDonalds and that kinda stuff - I just don't eat it as I don't like it, even as a treat. Don't care if others do and don't judge but I'd rather make a chickpea curry with mango chutney or a big bowl of spicy veggie stew or something than eat any of it. Some people find that hard to get their heads round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't eat meat so I often get the "protein" questions by people. Mainly the lads who are into their weights training. Then I explain where I get my protein from, and that I go to the gym and also weight train 4 days a week, and they usually shut up.

Advertisement