Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worst flu you've ever had?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

March 2008, had another last week that didn't come close to it thank God, I'm no medical expert but I get the impression that getting these things and recovering from them is the immune systems way of replenishing itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I have the worst dose of my life since Stephen's night. Have not had a flu in 10yrs but am sleeping 16hrs/day,no appetite,shivering/sweating,unable to cough as back is so sore. Maybe 5-10% better today. Must be this Aussie flu thing as i haven't missed a days work since 2007 and don't even get colds.some things are worse than death!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

hawkwing wrote: »
    I have the worst dose of my life since Stephen's night. Have not had a flu in 10yrs but am sleeping 16hrs/day,no appetite,shivering/sweating,unable to cough as back is so sore. Maybe 5-10% better today. Must be this Aussie flu thing as i haven't missed a days work since 2007 and don't even get colds.some things are worse than death!

I can totally relate, felt a bit of a tickle in the throat on the 22nd then woke up with full blown plague. Has to be this Aussie thing because here I am 10 days later and I have only seen a small improvement. I read something in the Australian press that stated a duration of over 5/7 days was a tell tale sign.

Still coughing my lungs up and just put a fleece on cause I’m freezing (with the heating on full tilt, kids are sitting here beside me with only pj bottoms on). It started as a chest infection and then became a sinus / throat infection. For me it normally works the other way starting as a head cold and moves to the chest. Chest pain was a symptom for me too but thats cleared.

Contemplating heading to the D-Doc if I don’t see an improvement tomorrow PM. It seems however there’s not much the doc can do as its viral.

It is without doubt one of the worst I’ve experienced. Haven’t been sick in over a year btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not sure if it was the flu, but was pretty damn close. Spent the best part of three days in bed about 11 years ago. Headaches, sore throat, aching all over, high temp, rigors, feeling cold but yet the bed sheets soaked in sweat, sleeping on towels to avoid changing the bed sheets a second time in the night, taking the stairs a step at a time, and both hands on the banisters, hardly any strength at all.

Couldn't get an appointment to see my own doctor, or anyone at the practise, took my details over the phone, and prescribed a low strength antibiotic. Took the edge off but didn't cure. Travelled home to see family doctor, who basically gave out to me as should have seen him a week earlier, high dose antibiotic, double dose at first, one lung all crackles, shawdows on xrays, and even after that course of Antibiotics, another week before even better.

Dont want to feel anything like it again.

I get what appears to be flu symptoms but they only last a day or two and then revert to a common garden variety cold. A few months ago I was in bits but only for two days. Aching all over, sweating, freezing, vomiting, mad dreams and thinking people are in the room but there is nobody there. Then that just disappears and I'm left with a cold. It's strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Had what I thought was flu on a Tuesday morning but was feeling progressively worse as the week went on , but kept going to work, eventually had to go (crawl) to the doctor Friday morning. Had pneumonia. Not a nice feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Always ticks me off when people go around coughing and sneezing without covering their mouths, no consideration to help stop the viruses spreading. It's really inconsiderate.
    I've friends of mine who have asthma, and brother who has allergies and sinus issues, and they are careful to not spread or catch bugs. Once its in the chest, its a nightmare. And not everyone can take time off to recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I get what appears to be flu symptoms but they only last a day or two and then revert to a common garden variety cold. A few months ago I was in bits but only for two days. Aching all over, sweating, freezing, vomiting, mad dreams and thinking people are in the room but there is nobody there. Then that just disappears and I'm left with a cold. It's strange.

That's exactly what I get. It only lasts 2 or 3 days so I don't call it a flu but if you tell people you'd a 'bad cold' they instantly think of a runny nose and a head cold and the 'man flu' bit comes out immediately.

Last time I had that was two years ago, I was sweating buckets, feverish, couldn't sleep, nightmarish waking realities when I did, couldn't eat, and could barely manage water for about two days.

Dunno what you call that but I get it every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

AmberGold wrote: »
    I can totally relate, felt a bit of a tickle in the throat on the 22nd then woke up with full blown plague. Has to be this Aussie thing because here I am 10 days later and I have only seen a small improvement. I read something in the Australian press that stated a duration of over 5/7 days was a tell tale sign.

Still coughing my lungs up and just put a fleece on cause I’m freezing (with the heating on full tilt, kids are sitting here beside me with only pj bottoms on). It started as a chest infection and then became a sinus / throat infection. For me it normally works the other way starting as a head cold and moves to the chest. Chest pain was a symptom for me too but thats cleared.

Contemplating heading to the D-Doc if I don’t see an improvement tomorrow PM. It seems however there’s not much the doc can do as its viral.

It is without doubt one of the worst I’ve experienced. Haven’t been sick in over a year btw.
    I could have written this. Dosed since the Thursday before Xmas, hot/cold/pains/cough. Still coughing and no energy, had it down as a chest infection early on, went through a course of antibiotics and steroids but still hanging on. Due back at work tomorrow... fvcked.

Has even taken down McGregor, thats twice in one year!

Conor McGregor has been struck down by deadly Australian flu
    http://dailym.ai/2EuHqcW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've only been on the receiving end of the proper flu three or four times in my life, but, yeah, no comparison between that and a regular cold, even a real severe one. I just recall being completely knocked the fck out by it for three or four days - capable of nothing else but just lying in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have flu right now. Felt it coming on me all day Saturday and by Saturday evening it had fully taken hold. Aches and pains all over and restless nights and I have a chesty cough to makes matters worse.

It’s the first flu I’ve had since September 1998 when I lived alone and spent 5 days on the sofa (day and night unable to move) I had no idea what was wrong with me and being young stupid and single had no one to look after me and so I suffered for a week or so without any meds of any sort till it eventually passed. I barely ate in that time and drank only small amounts, I lost over 7lbs in weight and it took me nearly 3 weeks to fully recover.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

pretty much what dudara said - changing clothes and sheets regularly cos you'd be sweating and shivering and back again. spending most of the time on a different planet altogether and barely aware of what's going on. and every single muscle ached so badly
    it's so awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

AmberGold wrote: »
    Has even taken down McGregor, thats twice in one year!

Conor McGregor has been struck down by deadly Australian flu
    http://dailym.ai/2EuHqcW

He did in his hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Honey-badgered my way through a dose of something there, just in time for Christmas tomorrow.

That's exactly what I get. It only lasts 2 or 3 days so I don't call it a flu but if you tell people you'd a 'bad cold' they instantly think of a runny nose and a head cold and the 'man flu' bit comes out immediately.

Last time I had that was two years ago, I was sweating buckets, feverish, couldn't sleep, nightmarish waking realities when I did, couldn't eat, and could barely manage water for about two days.

Dunno what you call that but I get it every few years.

I had it last Thursday. I woke up with a sore throat which worsened as the day went on. Come evening my apetitie disappeared but I managed food anyways. Didn't sleep a wink because of a horrendous sore throat and vomiting. Come yesterday I was much improved. The same craic as last time.

Maybe it is flu but our immune systems are strong enough to prevent it from sticking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

In the bed since Thursday with the flu & I swear I’ve never experienced anything like the aches in my joints especially my hands, back & hips. The sweats, the chills, the aches, the shivers, followed nicely by the muscle spasms, all the while rocking a nice ear throat & sinus infection! Mother if jesus I can’t wait for it to go. Managed to keep water & minerals in for the first few days, no food, had cereal & toast toda though. Supppose to be back in work today but chest is still in ribbons, so may wait it out, haven’t an ounce of energy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

This morning I was so bad I collapsed in a heap on the floor. My wife brought me to A&E where I spent 12 hours in a waiting room with similarly f*cked people. Eventually was told to go home and take some paracetamol.

One tip, if you are not sleeping, get Benilyn original drowsy cough mixture. It's in the purple box. 2 spoons at night and it knocks me out for 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

im screwed now and can take f all because im pregnant :(

sore eyes from not sleeping, raw throat, stingy nose :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Loads of them give antibiotics for colds/chest infections/sore throat, it's mad. Doctors would rather a quiet life than tell people to tough it out. .

Therein lies the problem. Doctors. Not ignorant people that don't know what the problem is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I had the flu one year when I forgot to get the vaccine. I have CF so it hit my chest hard and I ended up in hospital for 6 weeks. That's the most ill I've ever felt. Funny thing was that I had to be kept off the CF ward for the first week, and I had a nurse that didn't usually deal with CF patients and she told me there was no way I had the flu because I was able to get up and get dressed and shower etc. My swab came back showing I had influenza A. She just didn't know that us CFs aren't like normal people and are well hard when we get ill :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

To anyone who isn't currently infected with Aussie Flu.....buy yourself a mask, wash your hands 30 times a day and if you can spend the next couple of months in complete isolation do so. You don't ****ing want this illness!;)

On day 7 myself. Slowly, and i do mean slowly, getting better. Unlike the common cold Influenza virus causes serious cell damage to the respiratory tract. I'm coughing up blood and bits of my throat its that bad. The hallucinations and sleepless nights were the worst last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

corny wrote: »
    To anyone who isn't currently infected with Aussie Flu.....buy yourself a mask, wash your hands 30 times a day and if you can spend the next couple of months in complete isolation do so. You don't ****ing want this illness!;)

On day 7 myself. Slowly, and i do mean slowly, getting better. Unlike the common cold Influenza virus causes serious cell damage to the respiratory tract. I'm coughing up blood and bits of my throat its that bad. The hallucinations and sleepless nights were the worst last week.

Can confirm, it's one horrible horrible dose. Have had it since last Friday and been in bed most of the time since. At night time it's particularly bad, fever through the roof, coughing uncontrollably and the hallucinations/nightmares when I did get to sleep were awful. Was meant to be back to work this morning but woke up drowned in sweat and nearly collapsed when I got to my feet - said fúck that and went to the doc instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Oh God :eek:, I feel really sorry for all of you who have the flu right now, the stories here sound terrible, I hope ye are better very soon!! I had the flu once, only once, and I set about writing my will it was so bad.
    It sounds gross but a small cup of hot milk with a teaspoon of turmeric, a good pinch of black pepper, a grating of ginger root and a big teaspoon of good honey a few times a day is really good for fighting illness. After a while it actually takes nice. Get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,850 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I had what I thought was a hangover/flu when I was 19....turned out to be a very sever case of viral pneumonia....at deaths door within about a week.....but hey I did loose about 4 stone by the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just got my flu vaccine today. I have a medical history that puts me slightly at risk, so better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Anyone out there who's actually recovered from this bastarding thing?

Sitting here in the Docs surgery as I write this, not expecting him to offer anything as I’m here for a refill of a script for another lifelong malady.

I’ll be grilling him on what he’s seeing thou re duration, oddly I’m still producing lots of the green stuff 10 days later. This fckin thing is unreal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sorry to hear about this nasty flu.:( I’ve been pretty fortunate so far. Is it the Aussie flu? Should I get vaccinated? Can I get vaccinated at my GP?

I last had flu about 15 years ago. It was horrible and utterly debilitating. A bad cold is miles away from the flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Robsweezie wrote: »
    in the midst of a bad flu myself the past week,mad cough has me barking like a dog, sore throat, bunged up and just feeling crap, getting better day by day but my throat felt like a chainsaw at one point, it hurt like **** to swallow, pain has gone away mostly thank god.

so whats the worst strain of flu you've had inflicted upon you? how long did it go on for? do you get flu often? seems to be a seasonal(spring) thing for me...

If you have the flu who's typing for you?
    Only just seen it's a 3 year old thread, he's surely over his head cold by now.

Advertisement