Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worst flu you've ever had?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

I've had flu a few times in my life, but the two most recent ones will stick in my memory a long long time. The first one was Christmas 2013. Was not feeling myself christmas day, thought I was coming down with a cold, on St. Stephens Day every single bone in my body ached, was chesty, blocked up. By the 27th I was delirious in my bed. I was staying at my parents for a couple of months while my mother fully recovered from a major heart attack a few months before. I remember hearing my mother calling out for me and my father screaming at her that she'll be okay, while screaming for me. I ran out of the bed in a panic in to their bedroom... The noise stopped as i got the door, I looked in and they were sound asleep..a legit hallucination... As I was sleeping the majority of the time, my family were telling me I was shouting a lot and sleep walking as well. I could not get out of the bed until January 1st. I then decided that I was well enough to go out that night. Not a good idea, the next day it was back with a vengeance. This time though both my eardrums burst as well. I spent a total of fifteen days sick in bed. By January 10th 2014 I was 2 stone down in weight from sweating and shivering the entire time. It was hell on earth.

The next flu I got was in February 2015. Came home from work on the thursday, literally on the 40 minute drive home my legs and arms started killing me, I was cold the whole time (its my first sign always that i'm coming down with something), on the friday I was sent home from work as I looked like death warmed up. With this flu I literally thought i was going to die, that there was something very seriously wrong with me. On the monday I went to the doctor. He said i was on the verge of pneumonia this time and it had gone to my chest, could not breath properly so was given an inhaler, steroids and antibiotics, he also put me on an nebuliser in his office to clear me up. I was off work for ten days with that one. Again, about a stone and a half came off me with that one. I dont be long putting it on again though when i can eat. It's crazy, with a real flu you literally do not have the energy to drag yourself out of bed. It's awful!

This Christmas I got a bad bad cold that went straight to my chest, majorly snotty, a little achy, aching throat, pain in head... Feel exhausted for it...but by god, I know it is not the flu... I am sitting on the couch wrapped in a blanked giving out about my snotting nose... Not in the bed delirious... there's a massive difference. It kind of annoys me when someone sniffs in my direction and wails about having the flu... i'm like... love... get the flu and you'll know short term severe illness. Saying that though, if the flu is the worse thing i'll ever have to contend with in my life, then i'll be a very grateful person! People are suffering a lot more than that at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I've a cure I use for it every time I get it, works every time, it involves treating the flu to some powerful stuff available in all supermarkets.

Chew a few bulbs of raw Garlic?
    Or maybe a boat load of fresh lemon, lime with honey?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I've had proper flu probably three times in my life. Twice in the 00s and the Russian flu back in 1977. They all felt equally terrible but I believe from all accounts that I nearly died in 1977 - had it in boarding school and care was a few paracetamol and bugger all else.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

2 weeks laid up in bed as a teenager. Hardly any energy, could barely eat, and had a few hallucinations.

What most people consider flu, is just a cold. Flu will put someone out of commission for up to 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Chew a few bulbs of raw Garlic?
    Or maybe a boat load of fresh lemon, lime with honey?

Whiskey, 6 measures of on initial diagnosis :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I was about 10 or 11. Never felt so bad since or before. Remember not being able to get off the couch, my tongue feeling like it didn't fit in my mouth, and my mother not understanding how poorly I was and trying to cheer me up by insisting on bringing me shopping. I remember laying on the back seat crying begging her not to make me get out of the car. I think she realised then how sick I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As a kid, I went to a machinery auction once with my Dad. It was a bitterly cold day, raining a lot and got soaked and frozen standing about for hours.

Spent 3 or 4 days in bed as a result with a really bad dose.

On day 4, recovered enough to ask for the tv.
    Mum brought up a little b&w portable we had at the time.

Through the snow and interferance (rabbit ears!), I watched them raise The Mary Rose.

Never had as bad since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Flu for two weeks.. (Man flu according to some).

5 weeks later I was recovering from pneumonia. 24 at the time and was fit and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Can't remember the year, but that was the time of the swine flu epidemic. Caredoc GP on the phone advised not to call in which was a blessing really. Mr M also had it but started on my day 2. We were very lucky that the children were vaccinated and we took turns struggling to ensure a minimum parenting service for 4 days or so each (after the first 2 days respectively as there was no functioning for that).

I started feeling ill a Saturday morning at 10.00 am, by 2pm I was deep in it. I remember most the feeling of being battered as if I had been kicked and punched in a fight. Can't remember much of the temperature, except hardship, and it took 2 full weeks to deal with extreme tiredness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Can't remember the year, but that was the time of the swine flu epidemic. Caredoc GP on the phone advised not to call in which was a blessing really. Mr M also had it but started on my day 2. We were very lucky that the children were vaccinated and we took turns struggling to ensure a minimum parenting service for 4 days or so each (after the first 2 days respectively as there was no functioning for that).

I started feeling ill a Saturday morning at 10.00 am, by 2pm I was deep in it. I remember most the feeling of being battered as if I had been kicked and punched in a fight. Can't remember much of the temperature, except hardship, and it took 2 full weeks to deal with extreme tiredness.

I remember that-the swine flu i mean. I didnt get it as bad as others, but I remember gasping for air, like I was being suffocated. Only lasted a few days. Wasn't the worst flu ever, but really serious if you had asthma or some other long term illness.

Tbe tiredness was something else entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

When I was 10 or 11, got a flu and was too weak to get out of bed, I had to crawl to the bathroom. Worst dose I ever had. I was very weak and tired for ages after so my mum forced me to take a tonic, bleurgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I'm on day 6 of an awful dose and just can't shake it off. Bed-ridden most of the time. It's absolute misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'm on day 6 of an awful dose and just can't shake it off. Bed-ridden most of the time. It's absolute misery.

I feel your pain , day 8 here ad it's finally starting to break ,.a little :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The real thing will have you layed up for weeks. Your minds goes haywire, dreadful nightmares and hallucinations.

Feels like you're in the process of dying and going to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pretty sure I've never had the flu, touch wood.
    I've had lots of bad, achy, somewhat feverish colds but not flu that I remember.

Is gastric flu an actual thing? If it is, I reckon I've had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Never had the flu but was diagnosed with pneumonia the day about 6 hours after my c section. Went from feeling fine to not able to move so fast it was terrifying. And coughing was horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Got a flu after the flu-jab that left me feeling like I got a smack of a bus.

Other than that just the usual colds and feeling like cr*p during Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I think I've only had the flu twice in my life. I've had about 7 million colds though. I can't seem to fend off those bastards.

Kaylami wrote: »
    Never had the flu but was diagnosed with pneumonia the day about 6 hours after my c section. Went from feeling fine to not able to move so fast it was terrifying. And coughing was horrific.

Wow I'd say that was horrible.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Schwanz wrote: »
    Got a flu after the flu-jab that left me feeling like I got a smack of a bus.

Other than that just the usual colds and feeling like cr*p during Winter.

I have never gotten it mainly because I have heard people like yourself who have suffered form either flu or flu like symptoms from it. So I have never bothered with for that reason since I've never had the flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Had pneumonia this year which was bad but worst ever was winter vomiting bug the day after celebrating my 30th when I would normally have had a bad hangover after too much whiskey.

It was horrendous. Projectile vomiting with explosive diarrhea at the same time. Hot molten liquid spraying out both ends at the same time. Over and over and over.

I thought I was dying. Was severely dehydrated. It was a living nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

brummytom wrote: »
    I had it a couple of years ago, around Christmas time. Hope to God I never get it again, I couldn't move for days, but felt **** for weeks after.

Any time I hear anyone say they've got "a touch of flu," I feel like slapping them.

I was going to post that too
    It is so ignorant of what 'flu truly is.Almost certain its medically impossible to have a '' touch'' of it
    If you have mild symptoms then its a COMMON COLD
    Also a common cold is caused by a virus so no you don't need to run to the Doctor for antibiotics.People that do that are the reason antibiotic resistant bacteria have developed and how in the future they will be useless and we will be back to where we were before antibiotics.Think on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Steve F wrote: »
    It is so ignorant of what 'flu truly is.Almost certain its medically impossible to have a '' touch'' of it
    Also a common cold is caused by a virus so no you don't need to run to the Doctor for antibiotics.People that do that are the reason antibiotic resistant bacteria have developed and how in the future they will be useless and we will be back to where we were before antibiotics.Think on!!

You'd think the actual doctor would know this or something....

Steve, hit the bottle & chill mate ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Schwanz wrote: »
    Steve, hit the bottle & chill mate ffs

Ha ha you are right mate...didn't mean that to turn into a rant.Happy New Year all :D

Ha ha you are right mate...didn't mean that to turn into a rant.Happy New Year all :D

Fair play Steve :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You'd think the actual doctor would know this or something....

Loads of them give antibiotics for colds/chest infections/sore throat, it's mad. Doctors would rather a quiet life than tell people to tough it out. .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Swine flu from 2009 without a doubt. Scary thing is, I just curled up in bed without ever thinking of calling for help. Luckily I had my OH to take care of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When you have the flu, you f*cking know it. You won’t be able to move for at least 3-4 days with muscle pain and fever. You oscillate between shivering with cold to sweating with heat. After that you’ll start to recover slowly, but it will still be about a week before you’re anywhere back to functioning normally.

I normally get the flu vaccine, but I forgot one year, and of course I got the flu. Horrific experience and I lost a few kgs over the course of it. I had to change pyjamas and bedsheets regular as they were soaked through with sweat. My doctor also insisted on me staying out of work to prevent others from being infected. Especially as there were pregnant women in the office.

Advertisement