Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worst flu you've ever had?

Options
  • 09-03-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

in the midst of a bad flu myself the past week,mad cough has me barking like a dog, sore throat, bunged up and just feeling crap, getting better day by day but my throat felt like a chainsaw at one point, it hurt like **** to swallow, pain has gone away mostly thank god.

so whats the worst strain of flu you've had inflicted upon you? how long did it go on for? do you get flu often? seems to be a seasonal(spring) thing for me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

08/11/97

#NeverForget

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Never had it (like the vast majority of the population). You must be incredibly unlucky to be getting it regularly. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Robsweezie wrote: »
    in the midst of a bad flu myself the past week,mad cough has me barking like a dog, sore throat, bunged up and just feeling crap, getting better day by day but my throat felt like a chainsaw at one point, it hurt like **** to swallow, pain has gone away mostly thank god.

so whats the worst strain of flu you've had inflicted upon you? how long did it go on for? do you get flu often? seems to be a seasonal(spring) thing for me...

If you're able to type in the "midst" of it, it's not the flu. It's a rotten and nasty headcold (not to be underestimated).

I really wish people would stop calling a common cold the "flu".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I remember once having it and collapsing in the doctors waiting room and then coming around hooked up to breathing machine arguing with the doctor not to call an ambulance i was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I can't remember much about it, but when I was about 19 my temperature got so high during a bout of flu that my parents had to stay in my room all night to stop me screaming and trying to run away from the elephants I could see coming out of the ceiling.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

OP - if you really had the flu you wouldn't be on boards. What you have is a cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I can't remember much about it, but when I was about 19 my temperature got so high during a bout of flu that my parents had to stay in my room all night to stop me screaming and trying to run away from the elephants I could see coming out of the ceiling.:eek:

Was that the flu or an acid flashback?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

He said he has it a week, people do recover enough in 7 days to pick up a laptop and type for 3 mins, he might of been a lot worse 4-5 days ago, so keyboard doctors give it a break,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My dog died of the flu.

- dogs don't get flu.

Mine did. He flu under a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I was about 7 years old or so. Extremely high temp, shakes, barrages of hot fever and coldness, insane pressure on my sinuses, migraine and could barely move from all the muscle ache.

I was on and off sleeping in the bed and I remember waking up to the room hallucinating, especially looking at the door and seeing it distort and move closer. I got so scared I tried to "escape" it by trying to get out of bed but fell due to not being able to move my legs from all the muscle ache/stiffness. I had a ton of nightmares as well during my period of flu, some of which I still remember to this day as they were freaky as fuck.

But a bit of flat 7up be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Man, I had it real bad in October 2009. I came in, and crashed on my bed for two weeks, couldn't stand up with getting dizzy and throwing up, I was nearly wishing I was dead, couldn't read a book or look at a tv screen or computer cos it made me sicker, I just lay there trying to sleep or sip water without being sick again, hurting all over, could hardly breathe through my nose, all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Bad dose of man flu. Worst ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Beasty wrote: »
    Never had it (like the vast majority of the population).

The vast majority of people never had the flu? How did you come up with that one?

Sure isn't it something like between 10 and 20% of people get the flu each year.

Surely it's the opposite so and the vast majority of people will at some point have contracted the flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Was that the flu or an acid flashback?

Definitely flu.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Alexis Sanchez2

Are you sure it's the flu? On average adults only get the flu once every five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

About 5 years ago. Six days in bed, sweating and hallucinating. Pains everywhere. On about day 3 I was so weak I couldn't even walk downstairs to refill hot water bottle. That day was spent sweating, hallucinating and crying. I would have sold my soul to the devil to be well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Never had the flu, but I have had a horrible case of strep when I was about 19. Barely ate for 10 day and lost about 8lb. I was already a skinny bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I'm 64 and have had flu twice. The last time was in the mid-1990s. I was in work. In half an hour I went from normal to feeling terrible. Five days later I was fine again. There was loads of sweating while feeling cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Perfect cure for you - spoonful of cement, so you can harden the f*ck up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

diomed wrote: »
    There was loads of sweating while feeling cold.

I got that with a bad kidney infection last year- I'd never sweated a fever out before! It was quite scary, as I was shivering so violently my headboard was vibrating off the wall. Literally drenched in sweat and unable speak for my teeth chattering so hard. Really quite unnerving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Gastric flu a few years ago.

Felt like I was going to collapse walking about ten feet from my bed to the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

About 5 years ago I became ill extremely fast during the swine flu craze. I don't really know what I had as I didn't develop fever until after I was discharged from hospital (I'd gone in with chest pains) and then I was too sick to leave my house for a week. I keep taking medicine to take down my temp (104) while lying in bed and I didn't even know where anyone was. It took a week before I could even leave to get a lift to the doctor (couldn't drive!) and another 2 weeks before I could walk to the shop. You don't have the flu!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Similar to Pumpkinseeds, I had a really bad one when I was small and I was delirious having waking nightmares and screaming and everything in the night and my parents were trying to calm me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I had the flu once. It was hell. When someone mentions casually in conversation that they currently have a 'wile dose of the flu' I lose the plot and shout

NO YOU BLOODY WELL DON'T!!

at them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Once ever all through Christmas 2012. Im usually healthy as a horse and generally shake off a cold in a day or so. This had me crying and begging my wife to either kill me or hospitalise me by the end of week two. She did neither. Easily the most ill I have ever been. Not so much as a sniffle since though. Obviously did my immune system wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

About 5 years ago. Six days in bed, sweating and hallucinating. Pains everywhere. On about day 3 I was so weak I couldn't even walk downstairs to refill hot water bottle. That day was spent sweating, hallucinating and crying. I would have sold my soul to the devil to be well again.

You never called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I've had it twice. As other posters say, you are literally laid flat for at least a week, and feel at times like you are going to die.

One of the times it was coming up to Christmas, and deadlines looming to pay for the kids Christmas presents (Being self employed, no work = no money), I literally couldn't lift my arm 5 inches from the mattress for a week - wet with sweat all the time, had to ask my wife to call my clients and ask for postponements. And no, I don't work on building sites, I work with computers !!! Ironically one of my main clients got it the same week ... so that saved me to some extent.

That's how bad the flu is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I had it a couple of years ago, around Christmas time. Hope to God I never get it again, I couldn't move for days, but felt **** for weeks after.

Any time I hear anyone say they've got "a touch of flu," I feel like slapping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

OP,

Sounds like you have man-flu, it's the worst kind there is. Try not to move, stay on the couch and have somebody bring you tea and cake. If it's still there at the weekend, you can have tea, cake and beer. It can really help if you can get someone ask you frequently "..are you feeling any better, you poor thing ?".

Some guys have all the luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I rarely get sick, so being sick like that was a right shock to the system.

Advertisement