Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How religion has f***** my life up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Guys some of you should try being from an African background with strong Pentecostal beliefs. The beatings I've taken ohhhhh boy. Some of you may say sure just report to social services be grand....it's doesn't work like that all the time

Judging by the wording of your OP, you're already at an advantage over others in similar situations because you seem to see the dogma for what it is. This is good. I understand the additional issues of the conflation of the African culture (which country BTW?) with the heavy religion but usually the hardest part of these things is freeing yourself from the baggage in your head. It seems like you've already made a start on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I used to miss the good cartoons on ITV every morning to go to mass :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've met a couple of British Israelites, they're Pentecostal aren't they? Too extreme for the Free Presbyterians anyway, so they must be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I've met a couple of British Israelites, they're Pentecostal aren't they? Too extreme for the Free Presbyterians anyway, so they must be bad.
    This is a bit of a tangent but the Norn Iron Pastor Alan Campbell is one of those British Israelites.

He is more extreme than Ian Paisley was, and seems to spend his life dedicated to virulent anti-Catholicism.

BBC Spotlight did a documentary which featured his friendship with a paedophile, who was also alleged to have been involved in the murder of a boy whose body was burned and mutilated. Bizarre moral priorities going on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

conorh91 wrote: »
    This is a bit of a tangent but the Norn Iron Pastor Alan Campbell is one of those British Israelites.

He is more extreme than Ian Paisley was, and seems to spend his life dedicated to virulent anti-Catholicism.

BBC Spotlight did a documentary which featured his friendship with a paedophile, who was also alleged to have been involved in the murder of a boy whose body was burned and mutilated. Bizarre moral priorities going on there.

What!!! How is that even possible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Guys some of you should try being from an African background with strong Pentecostal beliefs. The beatings I've taken ohhhhh boy. Some of you may say sure just report to social services be grand....it's doesn't work like that all the time

Don't tar them all with the one brush -

Have you ever been to a Pentecostal sermon? I go usually on a Sunday afternoon. It took me a while before I was accepted into their community, being the only white guy there and all. I'm not even Pentecostal, I just go for the music! :p

It doesn't quite work like that all the time either, much less to do with religion and culture than you might think, and more to do with how you help yourself get out of the situation you're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Angelo.J197

When I was a kid my parents instilled the religion into my head to the point where I thought I could speak in tongues. I literally laugh at myself sometimes when I think of it. I believe the reason most Nigerians and Africans in general have such a strong faith in something that has such phrase values is due to lack of education. Thank god I grew up in Ireland. I owe the Irish system sooo much

Oh dear god jack don't tell me they've got you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

We had a fairly strict upbringing, during lent we were made say the rosary every night and all that sh1te. (I'm talking upwards to 14 years old anyway). We rebelled one year as the rosary clashed with the film the Graduate which my parents had a low opinion off because of the sex scenes. Anyway we watched the film but us younger lot got a thrashing for being sinners afterwards(Good old days). The parents kinda mellowed out then and became a bit more liberal when we were in the mid teens.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

No. Afraid I can't relate to that. Sounds like a typical response for a late teenager today. It'll pass. You'll find your own way and own beliefs with time.

It's not just as simple as you'll find your own way in life. I suppose you didn't hear the story of the Islamic girl who's parents literally tracked her down and beat her up when she tried to "find her own path in life". Let me tell you something my parents are just as bad if not worse but then again yours probably aren't mad crazy like mine so I suppose that's the reason you feel it's so simple.

Just be grateful you don't have to go through the daily troubles of religious African life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

jacksie66 wrote: »
    In this day and age in Ireland, how has religion ****ed up your life?

Because you have 6 and 7yo kids in school shouting about how God is great and our savior....and that there is no such thing as Santa

Wang King wrote: »
    Because you have 6 and 7yo kids in school shouting about how God is great and our savior....and that there is no such thing as Santa

#truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

#truth

wot, no such thing as santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I lived with parents so controlling that the word 'bitch' landed you 3 months confined to your room before and after school, and an aul bating.

Still managed to find my own path in life. Once you're an adult, you can do your own thing. You just deal with it til then.

Sometimes finding your own path in life requires cutting off ties with your family completely and then nursing your emotional scars. And that's if you make it through "dealing with it till then" alive. =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You start a thread OP about beatings, you won't dare leave the house but then you won't call the HSE

Your problem is not religion, it's your physco parents.

wot, no such thing as santa?

Bruh once I was eight so I tried to see if Santa was real and decided to write a letter to send to the north or South Pole. Got my ass whooped by my parents for even assuming Santa was real

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You start a thread OP about beatings, you won't dare leave the house but then you won't call the HSE

Who are In turn crazy because of the religious beliefs. They follow the bible word for word and see it acceptable to beat their child cause it says so in the bible. If Pentecostal beliefs weren't soo stern and strict so you think I'd be posting this?

The three of ye go visit your pastor or whatever name he has so

See what he has to say since they'll listen to him

If he says beating is allowed in scripture then you are fecked so!

I'm not just some kid giving out because his iPhone got taken away from him or because daddy won't get him the latest console. What good will the HSE do? Social care seems to be just as bad as living with my parents from what I've heard. Plus college is only around the corner and I need mumsy and dadsy to pay for it.

The three of ye go visit your pastor or whatever name he has so

See what he has to say since they'll listen to him

If he says beating is allowed in scripture then you are fecked so!

Hahahahahahahaha thing is though my dad is a pastor that's why he's soo strict with the religion. Can you believe he wants me to become a pastor aswell? How cray!

• Advertisement

. What good will the HSE do? .

A lot more then ignoring everyones advice in After Hours.

I'm outta here

A lot more then ignoring everyones advice in After Hours.

I'm outta here

Goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm not just some kid giving out because his iPhone got taken away from him or because daddy won't get him the latest console. What good will the HSE do? Social care seems to be just as bad as living with my parents from what I've heard. Plus college is only around the corner and I need mumsy and dadsy to pay for it.

As Irish attitudes go, you're fitting right in :pac:

Seriously though Angelo, obviously you haven't had the easiest start in life, and it's true, the HSE are unlikely to be able to offer you much in the way of assistance, so you're going to have to make a choice between your parents paying for college, and paying for college yourself.

The first option means continued reliance on your parents, the second option means you have control over what you want to make of your own life.

I came from a strict Roman Catholic upbringing myself (and many of my friends are also Roman Catholic immigrants from African countries), not unlike your own upbringing, so I made the decision to leave home at 16 and pay my own way through college and then university.

I'm still Roman Catholic btw (attended mass this morning, then the Pentecostal service in the afternoon ;) ), but I'm just not as ehhh, "devout" (fundamentalist) as my parents were.

I don't envy the situation you find yourself in now, and I certainly don't envy the choices you'll have to make, but I hope whichever choice you make, that it leads to something better for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

People mess up their own lives. Some people are hardwired to hatred. It's not religion it's the brain that twists it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Stab some sense into your parents Angelo.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

O.P., you would probably get more helpful replies if you posted this in the Atheist and Agnostic sub-forum.

If I were in anyway religious I'd say you were the voice of the devil hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

O.P., you would probably get more helpful replies if you posted this in the Atheist and Agnostic sub-forum.

In fairness, he'd probably get more helpful replies from a pet rock than AH regulars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

It has parents?

• Advertisement

It has parents?

Ouch kitty dug your paws deep with that one....

Advertisement