Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How religion has f***** my life up

Options
  • 08-03-2015 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Has anyone ever been screwed over by the religious beliefs of others? Any African youngsters like me in the house know what it feels like to be stuck under the Pentecostal dogma of their parents?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No. Afraid I can't relate to that. Sounds like a typical response for a late teenager today. It'll pass. You'll find your own way and own beliefs with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Any African youngsters like me in the house

Who's in the house?

Say Jesus in the house :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Was made go to mass by the parents and would miss the big big movie. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Nope. Came from a religious family, but chose my own path in life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Macavity. wrote: »
    Was made go to mass by the parents and would miss the big big movie. :(

Sky plus it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thank the lord you have internet.

Do I here a haleylula

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Watch ye for you know not when the master of the house cometh. *

* your old man is gonna kick some ass if he reads what you've been posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

No. Afraid I can't relate to that. Sounds like a typical response for a late teenager today. It'll pass. You'll find your own way and own beliefs with time.
    Pentecostalism is fire and brimstone stuff - not easy having to deal with that. I think there's more to it than teenage whining.
    If the parents are being very controlling "You'll find your own way" etc is easier said than done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

No,I don't have any Africans in my house.

Should I?

Is this the latest thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Has anyone ever been screwed over by the religious beliefs of others? Any African youngsters like me in the house know what it feels like to be stuck under the Pentecostal dogma of their parents?
    Have fun with it... Start acting like you are possessed by Satan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Baby Jane wrote: »
    "You'll find your own way" etc is easier said than done.

No, it's not.

No, it's not.
    Depends I suppose. Certainly easy for people who don't have controlling parents - and easy for the same people to tell others with controlling parents that it's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Doubt anybody in Ireland would understand that.

Depends I suppose. Certainly easy for people who don't have controlling parents - and easy for the same people to tell others with controlling parents that it's easy.

Look, the OP has said elsewhere that he's moving out of the home this summer. He'll soon settle on his own path in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I hear it was all the rage in America a couple of years ago..
    Brangelina et al?

I lived with parents so controlling that the word 'bitch' landed you 3 months confined to your room before and after school, and an aul bating.

Still managed to find my own path in life. Once you're an adult, you can do your own thing. You just deal with it til then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Look, the OP has said elsewhere that he's moving out of the home this summer. He'll soon settle on his own path in life.

He also said that he's willing to work for less than minimum wage to pay for it. I wouldn't be so quick to undermine his issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

kneemos wrote: »
    Doubt anybody in Ireland would understand that.

Is that a joke? Plenty of borderline fundamentalists in Ireland who I'm sure have gone through similar.

OP, I knew a second gen St Lucian fella in London who's mother was pentecostal. He was quite extreme, wanted gays all put on an island and nuked. I met him again a couple of years ago and he'd mellowed out a lot. He'd moved out of the house and met a girl who was a lot less religious. Just bide your time and play it cool until you get out. There's truth to what Srameen says although they're kind of over simplifying it IMO.

• Advertisement

I realise I'll probably annoy the poster in question who's saying it by coming back again, but how can anyone possibly know from internet posts that a person (anyone) will soon find their own path in life, or indeed anything?

I realise I'll probably annoy the poster in question who's saying it by coming back again, but how can anyone possibly know from internet posts that a person (anyone) will soon find their own path in life, or indeed anything?

Because they have free will. Once they're an adult, they make their own choices, so therefore do what THEY themselves choose.

Not annoyed in he slightest! Carry on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Angelo.J197

Finally someone understands....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Should I?

No need anymore. Nowadays you can hire staff on jobbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I do too but it's not a fundamentalist one - it involved zero effort to forge my own path.

Pentecostal religions (and there's a few varieties!) aren't fundamentalist, it's the adherents of any religion can be fundamentalists, but most adherents of any religion are moderate to so laid back they'd fall over :p

The OP's problem isn't religion, it's that he's not old enough to move out yet and make an independent life for himself. That's when the real fun will start :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Angelo.J197

Guys some of you should try being from an African background with strong Pentecostal beliefs. The beatings I've taken ohhhhh boy. Some of you may say sure just report to social services be grand....it's doesn't work like that all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Look on the bright side. Denzel Washington also is a Pentecostal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Guys some of you should try being from an African background with strong Pentecostal beliefs. The beatings I've taken ohhhhh boy. Some of you may say sure just report to social services be grand....it's doesn't work like that all the time

Not sure I want to try that. Went through a lot of crap as a kid but not as much as the previous generation. Looks like you are a couple of generations behind. Happyism is the way to go: its a cross between the teachings of the Dalai Lama and Kermit the Frog, you can't go wrong. Good luck in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Should I?

No need.

The Trocaire box takes care of everything now.

Advertisement