Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeland Season 5 (US Pace) [** Spoilers**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Yes, Alisons other bbf and kitchen mate was not the Russian station chief. They'd know his face and arse better than the Russian ambassadors. So should viewers at this point.
    As for this week, our dogwalker is wondering why a Russian asset along with her handler is ensconced in US hands taking fag breaks. It will end badly for both - the immediate Sarin threat has postponed their fates for the moment. A quick look through the financial accounts of both heroes will prove that lives have been lost on both sides as a result of their freelance rise to the top. Who pulls the trigger on them is probably down to a toss of a coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I’d say that was a Russian agent. Alison went out of her way to pick something off her shoe which I presume was a signal. I would suspect it’s a signal to help extract her and the Russian boss at some point (like the Israelis did to Saul). I think they’ll be in for a surprise as rather than getting extracted they’ll will end up meeting their demise in a stereotypical heartless Russian spy manner.

Her Russian handler already has diplomatic immunity so they don't even need to extract him. The women walking the dog was obviously doing some kind of surveillance - remember that right now the Russians have no way of knowing that Alison has claimed that she was Ivan's handler rather than vice versa so as far as they're concerned she's a loose end that needs to be tied up. Ivan, in agreeing to play along with her has probably signed his own death warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Her Russian handler already has diplomatic immunity so they don't even need to extract him. The women walking the dog was obviously doing some kind of surveillance - remember that right now the Russians have no way of knowing that Alison has claimed that she was Ivan's handler rather than vice versa so as far as they're concerned she's a loose end that needs to be tied up. Ivan, in agreeing to play along with her has probably signed his own death warrant.

Diplomatic immunity should have stopped him from being arrested in the first place but he can’t claim to go along with Alison’s story and then also claim his immunity.

They could extract her and then him use his diplomatic immunity but I can see the Russians wanting to extract both of them, as they can’t trust that he’ll actually follow through. The term extraction is used for people who both want and don’t want to removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

A bit of a cop-out to let Quinn live, it would have been a braver move to kill him off
    a la Brody
    . However I am glad they didn't as he is a great character. The video of him convulsing was hard to watch, genuinely upsetting.
    Great stuff again from Mandy Patinkin, there are few better actors than him on TV at the mo'. Loved the part where he throttled Alison. Hope she dies in a hail of bullets during her extraction.
    It's all set up for a grandstand finish in the last two eps. It has really picked up since about episode seven, the first six were fairly boring I thought. I presume there isn't going to be a sixth season as season five was renewed on the 10 November last year and it's a month past that now with no word.
    Hopefully it goes out with a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think it has been excellent this season. so tense!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The problem is that if he asserts it Alison is toast and, barring them being able to communicate their plan to Russian intelligence as they were raided, the Russians have to worry that they have both defected. An individual can revoke their own diplomatic immunity if they are defecting so Russia can’t demand their release.

To further muddy the waters, he was spying on the United States to whom he would not be immune for prosecution if they take custody before he pulls the immunity card.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

lukin wrote: »
    A bit of a cop-out to let Quinn live, it would have been a braver move to kill him off
    a la Brody
    . However I am glad they didn't as he is a great character. The video of him convulsing was hard to watch, genuinely upsetting.
    Great stuff again from Mandy Patinkin, there are few better actors than him on TV at the mo'. Loved the part where he throttled Alison. Hope she dies in a hail of bullets during her extraction.
    It's all set up for a grandstand finish in the last two eps. It has really picked up since about episode seven, the first six were fairly boring I thought. I presume there isn't going to be a sixth season as season five was renewed on the 10 November last year and it's a month past that now with no word.
    Hopefully it goes out with a bang.

Why the SPOILER warning for season three?😀

Why the SPOILER warning for season three?😀

I was just being considerate;someone reading the thread may not know that about season three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Great episode, Quinn is like Kevin Garvey in The Leftovers, unkillable.

This season has been right on the button, it's so topical, how did they manage to insert a reference to "not wanting another Paris", very good editing. Surely it's in the Russians best interests to help deal with the terrorist threat in the short term, although I wouldn't trust Alison as far as I could throw her. I reckon Saul will have the last laugh ultimately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

lukin wrote: »
    I was just being considerate;someone reading the thread may not know that about season three.

But you gave away the fact that
    Quin lives
    . Why would you put spoiler tags around something for last season and not this season?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

MayoForSam wrote: »
    This season has been right on the button, it's so topical, how did they manage to insert a reference to "not wanting another Paris", very good editing.

Probably a reference to the shootings earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

It was clearly a reference to the Charlie Hebdo shootings in Paris.

But you gave away the fact that
    Quin lives
    . Why would you put spoiler tags around something for last season and not this season?

It's OK for me to give away the fact that Quinn lives because it says in the heading to this thread "Homeland Season 5[** Spoilers**]". Some people come on the threads of later seasons not having seen previous seasons (daft I know) and read something they don't want to know about a previous season.
    I did it once on a thread on the final season of The Sopranos where I revealed that a character got killed off in a previous season and someone complained to me about it (in a nice way). Since then I always spoilerize anything about a previous season if I am in a thread about a current season.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

Who else thinks Sebastian Koch's character is up to something really dodgy? That he is some kind of Blofeld figure manipulating the jihadists and the Russians and everything else the whole time? Perhaps he was the mastermind behind Abu Nazzer and the brainwashing of Brody from the start and he was the string puller behind the bombing at Langley that killed David Estes and he was helping the Pakistanis and that evil Taliban dude in the last series and Dar Adal is also his guy? And the hot German spy is in cahoots with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Who else thinks Sebastian Koch's character is up to something really dodgy? That he is some kind of Blofeld figure manipulating the jihadists and the Russians and everything else the whole time? Perhaps he was the mastermind behind Abu Nazzer and the brainwashing of Brody from the start and he was the string puller behind the bombing at Langley that killed David Estes and he was helping the Pakistanis and that evil Taliban dude in the last series and Dar Adal is also his guy? And the hot German spy is in cahoots with him?

There's definitely more to him.than meets the eye - I just can't figure him out yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I thought the tile piece (mapping to known installations) was a bit far fetched as was Carrie and the german girl being the ones to find the right place.
    Then turning up in a noisy car, chatting, slamming the door and only then tip toing around.

I think the real weakness is Quinn managing to get involved with the Jihadists. I think that was a coincidence too far.
    Enjoying it all the same :).

• Advertisement

There's definitely more to him.than meets the eye - I just can't figure him out yet!

Oh he's a bad mother I'd say! :)

He was the baddie in a Good Day To Die Hard where he played a supposed good guy but turns out to be a evil yoke all along.

MICKEYG wrote: »
    I thought the tile piece (mapping to known installations) was a bit far fetched as was Carrie and the german girl being the ones to find the right place.
    Then turning up in a noisy car, chatting, slamming the door and only then tip toing around.

I think the real weakness is Quinn managing to get involved with the Jihadists. I think that was a coincidence too far.
    Enjoying it all the same :).

The way they grabbed the Muslim lad who overheard the jihadis talking shop in prison was a scene straight out of the end of "A Most Wanted Man."

Yes, Alisons other bbf and kitchen mate was not the Russian station chief. They'd know his face and arse better than the Russian ambassadors. So should viewers at this point.
    As for this week, our dogwalker is wondering why a Russian asset along with her handler is ensconced in US hands taking fag breaks. It will end badly for both - the immediate Sarin threat has postponed their fates for the moment. A quick look through the financial accounts of both heroes will prove that lives have been lost on both sides as a result of their freelance rise to the top. Who pulls the trigger on them is probably down to a toss of a coin.

Allison is basically a female version of Brody.
    She has RED hair.
    Saul is in the male role of Carrie because he still has feelings for Allison even though he knows she can't be trusted.
    Despite her treachery Allison still wants to be a loyal American and her help in trying to stop the Sarin attack proves that but she has to pay for her sins just like Brody did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Regarding Otto , the only thing I noticed was that in the episode where they were in his chapel was that the pictures looked more orthodox than traditional Christian. The observation maybe way off but maybe he is working for the Russians? There was some mention of the family and the Russians at the end of the war.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I hope Alison dies from Sarin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

That American journalist looks so familiar for some reason!! Not sure how well Quinn is going to recover from that poisoning.

I hope Alison dies from Sarin.

I hope that self-righteous left wing fifth columnist journalist gets it too.
    They could have had a sub plot where she and the hacker guy get it on but it didn't happen which might have been interesting but would have taken from the relationship between Carrie and Quinn who are probably going to end up together in the final episode.
    I have a feeling Saul is going to have to take out Allison in the end but die a heroic death and enter Valhalla and pass the baton on to Carrie who is going to work on with Dar Adal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I hope that self-righteous left wing fifth columnist journalist gets it too.

She is almost too principled to the point of parody. Yes, you can be against state surveillance and so forth, but I'm not sure they've given her a lot of depth as a character.

She is almost too principled to the point of parody. Yes, you can be against state surveillance and so forth, but I'm not sure they've given her a lot of depth as a character.

Her "principles" in opposing American foreign policy and surveillance led to the leak of documents which led to the release of the Islamists from jail which has resurrected their plans to launch the chemical attack. She is completely blinded by ideology while realists like Saul, Carrie and Quinn have to pick up the debris of her naive stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so the BND did send a team to the that apartment that Carrie was just in, right?

Advertisement