Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Jesus $160k a year for 8 days work! I'd do it for half that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jesus $160k a year for 8 days work! I'd do it for half that!

Don't forget the 2 pre-season games! Brings it up to $200k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago
    Matt Cassel has been traded to the #Cowboys, source said

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

adrian522 wrote: »

A very good article and fair play to Rodgers with his - "God was a Packers fan tonight." jibe. I never knew he made that comment after the game :D. Brings me back to Wilson's nonsense after losing the Superbowl, when he claimed months later he knew it was God's plan at the time.....
    “The play happens, and they pick the ball off. And I take three steps,” Wilson said. “And on the third step God says to me, ‘I’m using you. . . . I want to see how you respond. But most importantly I want them to see how you respond.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/06/russell-wilson-says-god-spoke-to-him-right-after-super-bowl-interception/

I've seen people medicated for less delusion than that. But really Russell, God spoke to you after the play? Strange then how you can be seeing walking to the sideline looking pretty clueless & stunned and then you can be clearly seen asking Pete Carroll - "What just happened?". We need more players to come out and make similar mocking digs like the one Rodgers made. Maybe then we'll get less hypocritical & vomit inducing God talk from players like Wilson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

A very good article and fair play to Rodgers with his - "God was a Packers fan tonight." jibe. I never knew he made that comment after the game :D. Brings me back to Wilson's nonsense after losing the Superbowl, when he claimed months later he knew it was God's plan at the time.....

I've seen people medicated for less delusion than that. But really Russell, God spoke to you after the play? Strange then how you can be seeing walking to the sideline looking pretty clueless & stunned and then you can be clearly seen asking Pete Carroll - "What just happened?". We need more players to come out and make similar mocking digs like the one Rodgers made. Maybe then we'll get less hypocritical & vomit inducing God talk from players like Wilson.
    Nah I doubt it, people like that don't have a stfu mode. But, speaking as a bears fan, Rodgers remains my favourite complete pain in the ass and went up in my estimation after that response.

Nah I doubt it, people like that don't have a stfu mode. But, speaking as a bears fan, Rodgers remains my favourite complete pain in the ass and went up in my estimation after that response.

Ya it's only wishful thinking on my part. Unfortunately there's too many evangelical Christian nut jobs in America, to hope for their spewing to ever end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Come on now... he isn't being literal. He's ascribing reason (barmy reason to most of us) to something that happened.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think a lot of the religious stuff is not even believed by the players, they are just trying to create a brand and that stuff plays well with a large part of the football watching audience over there.

We find it vomit inducing but completely different culture here when it comes to religion I think.

It's only guys like Aaron Rodgers and Arian Foster who can get away with the things they have come out with because of their stature in the game.
    Rodgers while religious still has the sense to see that there is no God up there rooting for one team over another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I loved that comment from Aaron Rodgers.

Wilson is a slimy prick.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Come on now... he isn't being literal. He's ascribing reason (barmy reason to most of us) to something that happened.

Afaic, there's no other way to interpret what he said, but that he literally believes he was talking to God. And anything I've read about him speaking on the matter since, has done nothing to suggest otherwise to me.

He isn't being literal. He is saying that what happened was God saying to him that He wants to see how he responds.

There's more than enough to abuse him about in that.

Another Classic from Wilson. A sports drink (he is an investor in) can cure concussions
    I banged my head during the Packers game in the playoffs, and the next day I was fine,” says Wilson. “It was the water.”

[Agent Mark] Rodgers offers a hasty interjection. “Well, we're not saying we have real medical proof.”

But Wilson shakes his head, energized by the subject. He speaks with an evangelist's zeal.

“I know it works.” His eyes brighten. “Soon you're going to be able to order it straight from Amazon.”

The hit in question:
    https://vine.co/v/OjthvuhYgEW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Can we all just agree despite hisd best efforts to appear otherwise, he is scum.

He also said god told him not to have sex with ciara, god apparently didn't mind his divorce though

He isn't being literal.

Read the quote again....
    on the third step God says to me, ‘I’m using you. . . . I want to see how you respond. But most importantly I want them to see how you respond.”

The key words in that quote is God says to me. The fact that he gave a very specific quote on what God said to him. Should make it obvious that Wilson was not speaking in a figurative or metaphorically context, therefore the reader has no choice but to interpret it literally.

I don't have to read it again, he isn't speaking literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I am not a believer in anything spiritual but why all the hate for Wilson. Calling him scum is mad and the hatred is mad. If he believes God speaks to him so be it. Who are we to bash his beliefs. Same with Tebow as annoying as it was and I know I ribbed on Tebow a bit in the day but as I get older I put it down to each their own really. Whatever gets him through his days really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

JCTO wrote: »
    I am not a believer in anything spiritual but why all the hate for Wilson. Calling him scum is mad and the hatred is mad. If he believes God speaks to him so be it. Who are we to bash his beliefs. Same with Tebow as annoying as it was and I know I ribbed on Tebow a bit in the day but as I get older I put it down to each their own really. Whatever gets him through his days really.

His hypocrisy for one

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Given where some of these NFL players have come from and the situations they have gotten themselves out of to become millionaires via football, I'm not surprised so many of them think it was due to some sort of higher being/influence.

Well when you are selling a sports drink and you are claiming it cured a concussion I think he needs to be called on it.

Same with saying God is intervening to help the Seahawks win or whatever, that stuff needs to be called out for the nonsense that it is.

Agree calling him scum is a bit much but that was one post not everyones opinion.

Also he always beats the 49ers, he should be more like Aaron Rodgers in that respect (and probably other ways too).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

I don't have to read it again, he isn't speaking literally.

I really think you should read it again, because he literally believes that God literally spoke to him after that play. He was speaking in the literal sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭tripperman

Oh dear I think I have wandered into the after hours fourm again

I wouldn't hate Wilson for the God stuff, just a bit of roll eyes from me really.

But Rodgers is just...great! He just seems to be so well rounded, the kinda guy you think you could go for a beer with and he'd have a laugh.

Well when you are selling a sports drink and you are claiming it cured a concussion I think he needs to be called on it.

No different to healthy products claiming to be healthy and they are far from it. If one is stupid enough to believe it without their own research then the problem lies with them and not Wilson really.
    Same with saying God is intervening to help the Seahawks win or whatever, that stuff needs to be called out for the nonsense that it is.

I am not going agree nor disagree about the whether or not God can help win games as I am not getting into a discussion on my beliefs but those are his belief and while nonsense to you may not be to others.
    Agree calling him scum is a bit much but that was one post not everyones opinion.

True but it is not the first time I have seen it online or in the media and there has been a fair few people hating him for his beliefs in here.

My point is whether a person disagrees with Wilson or not hating on him or calling him names is silly at best. It makes you no better than him really. Besides I have no idea if you hate him or not as you have given your feelings on him so I cannot comment on you personally I was generalising.

To each their own really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Easier said than done though, when a pretty damn large chunk of the domestic audience are rabid fundamentalists.

Edit: Actually you beat me to it only two posts later! :D

Another Classic from Wilson. A sports drink (he is an investor in) can cure concussions

The hit in question:
    https://vine.co/v/OjthvuhYgEW

That's not a 'classic' in the "Jackass Wilson" statement list. That's reckless, dangerous, and should have warranted a response from the NFL demanding he retract that statement immediately and disassociate with that company or face strong action. These guys settled for over $700mn only a few years previously because of concussions.

Snake oil salesman levels of scumminess how he slips in "coming to an [Amazon] store near you!" at the end of it.

It's not. The God stuff is completely hypocritical and disingenuous (then again, that fits right in with most organised religions, so... :D ) . But selling brain damage to kids who idolise him is beyond scum.

Billy86 wrote:
    It's not. The God stuff is completely hypocritical and disingenuous (then again, that fits right in with most organised religions, so... ) . But selling brain damage to kids who idolise him is beyond scum.

You can't help stupidity and as I said if people are too stupid to realise they are being sucked into a gimmick without researching first there is no helping them. Besides when it comes to sport the responsibility is taken away from the child when it comes to concussions so it makes your statement look stupid to be fair.

This thread is slowly turning into a Russel Wilson bashing thread with a subtle tone of belief bashing.

• Advertisement

You can't help stupidity and as I said if people are too stupid to realise they are being sucked into a gimmick without researching first there is no helping them. Besides when it comes to sport the responsibility is taken away from the child when it comes to concussions so it makes your statement look stupid to be fair.

When that pseudoscience is backed up by an athlete painted as one of the most wholesome, honest-to-goodness role models in a good long while, it's going to cloud judgement. A tonne of NFL players come from poverty and areas with typically very low educational standards. Especially teenagers and such, I wouldn't put it past some trusting Wilson's "magic water" over what the doctor has actually prescribed them. It's a terribly irresponsible and reckless thing to promote, and if it were an athlete that the media loves to hate like a Cristiano Ronaldo, he would have been called up on it publicly almost as soon as he made such a statement. But Wilson's constant talk of God means that the media absolutely cannot criticise him, because such a large portion of the fan base are fundamentalists who would lose their minds over it. For the likes of Aaron Rodgers, he doesn't have to give a sh*t what sections of the public think on matters like this, which is why he didn't care at all about mocking Wilson (he is visibly trying to hold in his laughter immediately after he said it).

Get off about this being a Wilson bashing thread by the way, he is being called out for good reason on bullsh*t. Nobody here (I hope) would doubt that he is an excellent QB, an excellent leader on the field, extremely intelligent at the LOS, and right up there with Ben and Rodgers as the very best when a play breaks down. And the same for belief bashing - there are HUNDREDS of religious players in the NFL, a good number overtly so. The difference is Wilson taking things to bizarre levels of delusion about God 'talking to him' as he made his third step toward the sideline (just one example of very many).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement