Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I've acknowledged the possible misunderstanding caused by my first post and I've since clarified it to JaMarcus, that I was talking about all changes - coaches & players. Anyway I'd rather if I could be left out of the discussion, because I think this whole roster/changes issue is possibly getting out of control. So I'm out....

8ttM8M.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I've acknowledged the misunderstanding and I've since clarified my post to JaMarcus that I was talking about all changes - coaches & players. Anyway I'd rather if I could be left out of the discussion, because I think this whole roster/changes issue is possibly getting out of control. So I'm out....

I know you did. But my apologies I will remember that in future. Have a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

At a really quick glance, the Packers still have 23 players from 2012, which could be 24 if we resign Jarrett Bush to a last minute vet minimum deal for his special teams play.

Good auld Ted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Billy86 wrote: »
    At a really quick glance, the Packers still have 23 players from 2012, which could be 24 if we resign Jarrett Bush to a last minute vet minimum deal for his special teams play.

Good auld Ted. :D

and something like 46 of the 53 roster last year were draft picks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

and something like 46 of the 53 roster last year were draft picks

Peppers and Guion were the only guys to play significant time for any other team I believe. Tolzien had been with the 49ers but never played a down, Chris Banjo and Boykin never got past the Jags practice squad while Dujuan Harris only ever had 9 carries and 1 catch for them. Trading failed to get past the Texans practice squad. Kuhn had 1 carry and 2 catches for the Steelers in 2005, and Grant Gerhardt had failed to get past the Browns and Panthers practice squads.

There is also Matt Flynn who had failed brief stints in Seattle, Oakland and Buffalo,but to be fair we originally drafted him and O ky let him go because he was getting a crack at a starting job on a big enough contract.

Basically only five players had ever played a single snap for another team, and one of them was drafted by us in the first place.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Peppers and Guion were the only guys to play significant time for any other team I believe. Tolzien had been with the 49ers but never played a down, Chris Banjo and Boykin never got past the Jags practice squad while Dujuan Harris only ever had 9 carries and 1 catch for them. Trading failed to get past the Texans practice squad. Kuhn had 1 carry and 2 catches for the Steelers in 2005, and Grant Gerhardt had failed to get past the Browns and Panthers practice squads.

There is also Matt Flynn who had failed brief stints in Seattle, Oakland and Buffalo,but to be fair we originally drafted him and O ky let him go because he was getting a crack at a starting job on a big enough contract.

Basically only five players had ever played a single snap for another team, and one of them was drafted by us in the first place.
    I'm still amazed flynn turned one game where rodgers micro managed him into such big money ha

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

JCTO wrote: »
    No idea why you are even telling me this.

You said in your last post, comparing talent between rosters was pointless at best. I believe there is every point and that's why I compared losing Messi to losing Rico.
    JCTO wrote: »
    Yet again I never said it would or wouldn't impact them. I was talking about the trend of roster turnovers.

And I never said you did. I was talking about losing a lot of talent from a talented roster. Compared to losing no talent from a mediocre roster. It's something that I personally can't ignore.

Anyway, I'll leave it there for the good of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Putin wrote: »
    You said in your last post, comparing talent between rosters was pointless at best. I believe there is every point and that's why I compared losing Messi to losing Rico.

In the context of what I was talking about yes it is pointless. When you take me out of context and debate something I wasn't debating then of course it makes your analogy somewhat relevant. Fact of the matter is your analogy was irrelevant to what I was talking about. Roster changes and nothing more. I said more than once had you read my posts like everyone else that the retirements were a surprise. I also never mentioned strength of rosters once again you would have seen this had you read my posts correctly.

And I never said you did. I was talking about losing a lot of talent from a talented roster. Compared to losing no talent from a mediocre roster. It's something that I personally can't ignore.

Then why quote me and bang on about it? Seems silly to quote me and then go and discuss something with me that had no bearing on what I was referring to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This is weird, but not NFL...

Harbaugh posted his (office) phone number on his twitter bio. If you call the number it goes straight to his voicemail. It's a very Harbaugh message!

https://twitter.com/Lahlahlindsey/status/607555333574270978/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So I'm still learning the game, watching a lot on Gamepass and a couple of times over the weekend I saw plays when the ball was passed twice which confused me and caused me to read about the rules on lateral and backwards passes. This blew my mind and surprises me that you don't see it used more in games. You'd think an innovative coach could come up with a bunch of plays to make the most of being able to pass backwards.

Coincidentally last night I was watching the Raiders @ New England from last season and they crossed to Andy Dalton catching a pass for a 20 yard TD in a game which was happening at the same time so it must happen a couple of times a season I suppose.

What other innovative uses of lateral passes have there been that an NFL fan should know about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Ahahahahahah amazing!!

That's exactly what I mean. What defensive co-ordination could come up with anything to stop that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Boise State's lateral in the 07 Fiesta Bowl would be one of the more famous, with 18 seconds left in the game and down by a touchdown.

As for why they're not used more often? They're desperation plays, and the risk of a turnover or loss of yards is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Not to mention the increased risk of injuries. Some of the hits that could land during a mad lateral play would be vicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

In response to that first lateral video. I know you're tired, but would someone please please put in a tackle!

franglan wrote: »
    In response to that first lateral video. I know you're tired, but would someone please please put in a tackle!

don't bother engaging the fat bastards they aint exactly going to run away from you at 39 yards out ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

don't bother engaging the fat bastards they aint exactly going to run away from you at 39 yards out ffs

Hey now, don't go underestimating the abilities of the fat man:D:D

Fat-Guy touchdowns are the best!!

hey i love fat guy tds but most notibly bj rajis a few years ago, but none of them were in a 39 yard out multiple lateral play because the ****ers would need oxygen half way through!!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Thats not entirely true. Enter Shaun Rogers from 2007:D (Apologies for the quality).

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Thats not entirely true. Enter Shaun Rogers from 2007:D (Apologies for the quality).

Just being nit picky but fat boy like Raji intercepted a ball with nobody in front of him and barely made it over the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

Not a touchdown but probably the greatest big man with football moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not a touchdown but probably the greatest big man with football moment

Pretty good but nothing for me tops the commentators in hysterics as Keith Traylor rumbles down the field (and looks desperately around him to give someone the ball only to find the whole team pushing him on down the field against every instinct he possesses. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Who could forget this beauty from big Vince....

I'd genuinely love to be in the locker room/tape room after one of those runs to hear the slating that goes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Who could forget this beauty from big Vince....

:D The Chariots Of Fire music in that clip is class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Eagles release Evan Mathis.

He was due to earn $5.5m this year and $6m next year and he was unhappy with that.

I doubt he'll get more than that at this stage of the off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,826 ✭✭✭nerd69

Well balls that's a disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Not sure what Chip Kelly is playing at. Mathis is white...

Not sure what Chip Kelly is playing at. Mathis is white...

he listens to the rap music probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,826 ✭✭✭nerd69

he listens to the rap music probably

Went to Florida for hols and got a tan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement