Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big scary training log

Options

Comments

Thursday

Deadlift workshop. Was deadly.

Few lifts
    5 x 60kg
    3 x 70kg
    1 x 80kg
    1 x 85kg
    1 x 90kg
    1 x 95kg

10 minute AMRAP

5 x 60kg DL
    10 x burpees over the bar
    15 x 6kg wallballs

4 rounds + 5 reps. Was knackered!

11km "easy" including 6 surges toward the end.

Not going to lie. I was glad I didn't have to run any further.

Still though, getting my running confidence back again :)

Barbell complex

3 rounds without dropping the bar. 20kg.

3 x deadlift
    3 x hang clean
    3 x front squat
    3 x push press
    3 x back squat
    3 x push press from back
    3 x overhead squat

Push press

5 x 5 @ 30kg

Metcon

21, 15, 9

Pull ups (with band)
    Wall balls 6kg
    Walking lunges with 10kg overhead

Dropped down a band so on red now which is deadly but meant I struggled in the last round to get reps so ended up failing loads. That's ok though. Got them done :)

7km done.

1.5 easy, 4 medium effort, 1.5 easy.

Back home by 7am. Going to try and do my midweek runs early, for a couple of reasons. For one they're a little bit harder, and for two it'll be good to get my body used to having no food in it for a good 10-12 hours. I think :D

Decided to go to the gym this evening instead of this morning. Pulled up outside, phone rings, problem in work and I'm on call. Raging. :(

Serves me right for not going this morning.

• Advertisement

5km very easy done. + 6 x 60 metre strides

A friend who doesn't run asked could she come out with me this morning, I was delighted to have someone to keep me running at an easy pace because I tend not to have the discipline to do that by myself, and she is totally chuffed with herself that she could do 5km without stopping.

Great morning so far!

Weekend was a disaster. Family drama on Saturday meant missing my long run. Sunday I was violently ill and couldn't keep water down let alone run. Had to miss gym yesterday as I was too weak.

Sounds like a lot of excuses. But hey. That's life I guess.

Have eaten very little in the past few days so was dreading tonight's run but I really enjoyed it. Medium effort was slower than I'd like but still felt strong.

10mins easy. 30minutes medium effort. 10mins easy.

45 mins easy. Easy was faster the usual. Happy :)

Holidays tomorrow \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

45 mins easy. Easy was faster the usual. Happy :)

Holidays tomorrow \o/

I LOVE when that happens :D

My long slow run was not long but was slow. Felt rubbish and had to stop after 4km while my running buddy continued on for her 10km.

Still though, 4km through beautiful edinburgh.

Off to the end of the marathon now to have a look at what state I would have been in if I'd been able to run it :D

Will try my LSR again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Spent Sunday at the Edinburgh marathon, must have walked nearly half marathon distance ourselves, was totally zonked so no LSR again, and then travelling all day yesterday. I've now gone and messed up this week a bit by doing it this morning but at least it's done.

12km to work this morning, supposed to be easy with six surges in the last 20 minutes, but despite being really really slow, the effort was pushing past medium. The tendon in my left ankle is swollen and really painful.

ICE ICE BABY.

Rub rub baby....
    Off to a sports therapist/physio with ya. :)

Sure I'm off on my hollipops tomorrow, I won't manage to get an appointment today :(

Um...Hello little log. I'm sorry for abandoning you, please forgive me....

Havet no lifted nor squat nor box jumped nor destroyed my shins with double under attempts in a month :o

I have done some running, but my tendon injury has put big mileage on hold. I've done some aqua jogging, which is really hard, and really difficult to get the hang of. I also look like a twonk doing it.

I did the race series 5 mile on Saturday and had the worst race since I took up running I think. The heat, the drop in fitness from injury, the everything really! I was majorly pissed off.

I've been given the go ahead for four running sessions this week, and I'll go to the gym twice. I ate so much crap after the race Saturday. So. Much. Crap. I had a chips and a chocolate milkshake for lunch, and then I had frosties for dinner :o

So I'll run after work, and go to the gym this evening. And I will only eat food that's good for me. Swearz.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I did the race series 5 mile on Saturday and had the worst race since I took up running I think. The heat, the drop in fitness from injury, the everything really! I was majorly pissed off.

I hear that.

I've always found it way more annoying when you run a lot worse than you'd normally be capable of than having a lifting session where everything feels heavier and you miss lifts you'd normally get.

It feels like it's easier to attribute weakness when lifting to other things, and yet running is really the same and other influences can make a massive difference, but you're right. It's OK when it's not being as strong, but not being as fast isn't as easy to deal with.

It can only get better, I guess :)

It feels like it's easier to attribute weakness when lifting to other things, and yet running is really the same and other influences can make a massive difference, but you're right. It's OK when it's not being as strong, but not being as fast isn't as easy to deal with.

It can only get better, I guess :)

It just feels worse but at least you know it will get better.

Onwards and upwards...and....fasterwards.

New signature. Thanking you Alf :D

Ring dips 3 x 5

Deadlifts 70kg x 5 x 2

Metcon
    30 x 30kg front squat
    20 x 30kg power clean
    10 x 30kg push press

For time: 2:30

40 minute very easy run.

Nice easy first day back.

Went to run for 40 minutes. Could only do 15 :(
    My legs just wouldn't work. I'm proper freaking out now :/

• Advertisement

Went to run for 40 minutes. Could only do 15 :(
    My legs just wouldn't work. I'm proper freaking out now :/

Don't. it'll come back. The more you expect them give up, the more likely you are to stop sooner.

You're well able to run for 40 minutes. Some days like today just happen :)

Don't. it'll come back. The more you expect them give up, the more likely you are to stop sooner.

You're well able to run for 40 minutes. Some days like today just happen :)

Thanks, Alf. This actually helped more than you will ever know :)

Had a meltdown last saturday morning. Decided I was giving up running.

Then I put on my big girl pants and copped the fcuk on.

So I've had a damn near perfect week of running, I've taken another break from crossfit as I feel it's hindering my marathon training. My running dude agrees. It's testing week this week so I'm giving it a miss and then the following week hoping that my CF coach is going to give a body weight and core programme to do for the next 16 weeks.

Tuesday: 10 mins easy, 4 x 4 minute @ LT HR, 12 mins easy + 4 x 60 metre strides.

Thursday: 50 minutes easy + 4 x 50 metre turnabouts.

Saturday: 80 minutes easy including 6 x 1 minute surges in last 20 minutes.

Tomorrow is just a 30 minute recovery run.

Aaaaaand she's back :D

To paraphrase Henry Ford, whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.

Works for everything. And you have been through the feeling of feeling knackered 10/15 minutes into a run before and just seeing it out and doing a 40/50/60 etc minute run.

But there are times you just can't get past that point early on.

So now you're back, don't forget what you're capable of again! That's an order! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You are in terrific shape, catching up with your log. Had a rubbish run today myself but like you, I'll be back. :)

How's your running going since Ruu?

I had interval training tonight, should be done by HR but I didn't wear my monitor so just pegged it and was wrecked.

10 mins w/u
    6 x 4 mins intervals 75 secs recovery
    12 mins w/d

Slight knot in my calf after, gave it a good stretch and roll. Hopefully comes to nothing.

Really need to start eating more food on running days :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Slowly building up the miles again, got my speed back but need the long runs in, Sheelin Challenge (16 miles) August, half marathon two weeks after and then Chicago Marathon in October...theeeeeeeeen I'm out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kaiserdave

Having a gawk at this thread, reminds me of my own journey. Suffered lots of niggling injuries as a teenager, took up weight lifting three years ago and cleaned up my diet a lot. Have completed Tough Mudder, City2Surf, Rebel Run Sydney and the Belfast City Marathon (which I finished with only three months' training). For me gym sessions were more important than the running, I needed power in my legs. I now play hurling and football, do strength and conditioning sessions three or four times a week, cycle regularly and have applied for the Naval Service.

Long story short, you will have days where you feel like quitting, the weather is freezing, your are sluggish, etc. Everyone goes through it, just remember what got you started and that you are closer to achieving your goals than yesteryear. Not bad from a guy who was told he wouldn't walk again.

Ruu wrote: »
    Slowly building up the miles again, got my speed back but need the long runs in, Sheelin Challenge (16 miles) August, half marathon two weeks after and then Chicago Marathon in October...theeeeeeeeen I'm out! :)

You have me eyeing up that Sheelin Challenge again Ruu! It would have to be a LSR rather than a race for me though..... Hmmmmm......
    kaiserdave wrote: »
    Having a gawk at this thread, reminds me of my own journey. Suffered lots of niggling injuries as a teenager, took up weight lifting three years ago and cleaned up my diet a lot. Have completed Tough Mudder, City2Surf, Rebel Run Sydney and the Belfast City Marathon (which I finished with only three months' training). For me gym sessions were more important than the running, I needed power in my legs. I now play hurling and football, do strength and conditioning sessions three or four times a week, cycle regularly and have applied for the Naval Service.

Long story short, you will have days where you feel like quitting, the weather is freezing, your are sluggish, etc. Everyone goes through it, just remember what got you started and that you are closer to achieving your goals than yesteryear. Not bad from a guy who was told he wouldn't walk again.

Thanks Dave :)

Well done on your achievements to date and good luck with your Naval Service application.

I'll be continuing with a strength programme in the gym from next Monday, I'll just be giving the high intensity stuff a miss for now.

50 minutes "easy" yesterday. Lack of food and previous day's intervals meant I had no energy left by the end of it to do my turnabouts so I left them. Turns out I was right to because according to the dublin marathon novices mentor, I shouldn't have been doing them the day after intervals so that works for me!

Must eat more food.

• Advertisement

Must eat more food.

Yes :p

Advertisement