Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling etiquette, meeting other cyclists

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Bloggsie wrote: »
    My comments in regards the discomfort of those who didnt acknowledge me was said with my tongue firmly in my cheek, however I believe that if you are greeted by someone who passes you a return gesture is just mannerly, would you pass someone who was at the side of the road if they were stopped due to a breakdown, training or not?

Go in the opposite direction to a large sportive some Sunday, that'll cure ya..:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Bus drivers are mad for waving at each other as they pass. luas drivers too. ill generally give a nod out on the bike
    don't forget they probably know each other. it'd be a bit odd to pass a colleague and not acknowledge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I demand everyone acknowledge my existence.

ACKNOWLEDGE MY EXISTENCE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

ford2600 wrote: »
    Go in the opposite direction to a large sportive some Sunday, that'll cure ya..:)
    Yeah your probably right!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

niceonetom wrote: »

Damn SPAMBOTS again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

niceonetom wrote: »

who said that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

daragh_ wrote: »
    I met a convoy of antique tractors in Annamoe yesterday. I waved at all the drivers (on behalf of all cyclists - you can thank me later).

Not all of them waved back. Is there a tractor forum where I can complain?

There is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

gadetra wrote: »
    I also was amongst the tractor run in Annamoe yesterday. It was class! I gave a few whoops and cheers going by them. Were you out with Bray daragh_? I was the lady on a black Felt in a Sundrive jersey. I didn't notice cyclists on the other side of the road, so I didn't wave at you!

There were some fancy looking machines in there alright.

I was on a solo spin. Did about 70k with NamelessPhil before chickening out of the full Mick Byrne route and coming home via Glenmalure.

Didn't see the Bray group which was a shame as I could have done with somewhere to hide out of the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bus drivers are mad for waving at each other as they pass...
    I used to drive buses and always thought it was cringe worthy. :o

(Exceptions were when the other bus drivers were people I actually knew/work colleagues or when in very tight situations on a narrow road/street where both vehicles are crawling by each other).

adrian522 wrote: »

I'm not going in there. It looks scary and I only understand every 5th word.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

There were some fancy looking machines in there alright.

I was on a solo spin. Did about 70k with NamelessPhil before chickening out of the full Mick Byrne route and coming home via Glenmalure.

Didn't see the Bray group which was a shame as I could have done with somewhere to hide out of the wind.

Was a great run alright. there was a Super Dexta there, which was the first thing I ever learnt to drive. I gave him a big shout and whoop, wanted to pat the mudguards but thought the better of it!

Yeah I was out with Bray, but went straight on with the group I was in instead of turning right with the tractors. I had absolutely no idea where I was, and the people I was going home with turned off behind me, I didn't see them and merrily carried on follow-the-leader style. I got rounded up at the end. :o

Maybe if I waved more I'd get lost less…:pac:

I'm not going in there. It looks scary and I only understand every 5th word.

They're friendly people!

A good portion of my family are involved in that. It's a whole other world. We have a few bits at home in the restoration stage, including the Super Dexta. Most of it's not managed to get out of 'farm condition' yet. The father got a new cowl for the front of the Dexta, and the sister promptly drove it into a gate and bent it. The brakes are far from functional...

Barely functional brakes, obscure bits of equipment and the ability to frequently hold up traffic.

It's no wonder you got into cycling ;-)

I am a Massey man through and through, drove a 135 and a 35 when I was a teenager. the 135 had more power through the PTO but the 35 was more craic, with the ability to catch some air is you freewheeled it down a hill to where a ditch used to be, once it hit that little ridge that always remains it would take off.

Obviously holding on was difficult and I am not stupid enough to do this anymore, what with the whole, reasonable fear of death involved that was overpowered by teenage stupidity.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am a Massey man through and through, drove a 135 and a 35 when I was a teenager. the 135 had more power through the PTO but the 35 was more craic, with the ability to catch some air is you freewheeled it down a hill to where a ditch used to be, once it hit that little ridge that always remains it would take off.

Obviously holding on was difficult and I am not stupid enough to do this anymore, what with the whole, reasonable fear of death involved that was overpowered by teenage stupidity.

Oh I'm blue through! Ford/NH are the only reasonable way forward :p My favorite tractor was an old International we hand, went like clock but had no floor, no doors, no handbrake again either, but in perfect working order. Loved that machine.

The Dexta didn't have a handbrake or floor, no power steering or cab. Our farm is like this: / , so when you put a bale on the back the front wheels lift up off the ground. The brakes are left and right, so that's how you steer up a hill with a load on the back!

Oh fun times…I wish I was as brave now as I was then!

..The Dexta didn't have a handbrake...
    The one I learned to drive in did because, as a child, I didn't have the strength to release it. I loved the red/pink wheels and the beautiful centre 'clock'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Oh I'm blue through! Ford/NH are the only reasonable way forward :p My favorite tractor was an old International we hand, went like clock but had no floor, no doors, no handbrake again either, but in perfect working order. Loved that machine.

The Dexta didn't have a handbrake or floor, no power steering or cab. Our farm is like this: / , so when you put a bale on the back the front wheels lift up off the ground. The brakes are left and right, so that's how you steer up a hill with a load on the back!

Oh fun times…I wish I was as brave now as I was then!

Older tractors of course have two means of steering.

Front wheels off the ground and brakes split...

As a14 yr old silage contractor was shocked I didn't know how to split brakes. I learned quickly

The one I learned to drive in did because, as a child, I didn't have the strength to release it. I loved the red/pink wheels and the beautiful centre 'clock'.

Yeah the 'clock' is beautiful. Ours didn't have the pink/red wheels, they were/are rust coloured (it was old when we got it). They're two different colours at the minute, one of the rims had to be scrapped due to rust and the new one is cream. Had to put a roll bar on it to get it taxed and insured there last year, kind of ruined it a bit to be honest. I loved the hand throttle. *left hand down* Brum!!

ford2600 wrote: »
    Older tractors of course have two means of steering.

Front wheels off the ground and brakes split...

As a14 yr old silage contractor was shocked I didn't know how to split brakes. I learned quickly

:D
    It's fairly scary when you go to brake and the plate underneath has moved and you find yourself wheeling round left or right instead of stopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tractor-invaasion_o_400232.jpg

• Advertisement

... Had to put a roll bar on it to get it taxed and insured there last year, kind of ruined it a bit to be honest...
    Most people faced that dilemma in the mid-1970s!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Friday thread on Monday! O tempora o mores!

(truly entertaining!)

Most people faced that dilemma in the mid-1970s!

Midlands are at least 40 years behind the times!

I'd never heard of road tax till I started cycling in Dublin :pac:

Split brakes annoyed me at first, as ours kept unclipping but once you got the hang of it it was like playing GTA before GTA was even thought of, mad craic altogether.

Advertisement