Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling etiquette, meeting other cyclists

Options

Comments

Cycling back from the shops got high dived by a passing cyclist.

Didn't leave him hanging. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

ronoc wrote: »
    Cycling back from the shops got high dived by a passing cyclist.

Didn't leave him hanging. :)

Sounds painful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Fair play to the cyclist that asked if I was alright this morning in Clontarf. Thankfully was just waiting for a forever late mate to head out on a spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

If I see a stationary cyclist on the road I will always ask to make sure they are ok. I felt stationary myself as someone whizzed past me up Howth yesterday. They didn't offer a gel or anything😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Down the country you get more nods, and waves.

I think in fairness if you're on roads heavy with cycling traffic you can't expect a hello. Its like if you walked through Dublin city you'd never say hi to people, but if you walked through a small country town with very few people around you'd almost feel bad not saying hi

I'm reminded of that scene from Crocodile Dundee saying that

Maybe a new rule - you should greet fellow cyclists in a non commuting environment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm in the process of breaking in a Brooks B17 saddle ~ every now and then I've to awkwardly tug at and my around my gonads, you'd think someone would lend me a hand just once?... NO!.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Sounds like you need to break in more than the saddle ;)

Do you use the same hand each time or do you use alternate hands? Maybe you need to check you have the right sized clothing. Everything should be firmly in place before you set out on the bike. Assuming your breaking in the saddle on the bike, and not in some gimp style cellar somewhere in North County Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Puggy wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to break in more than the saddle ;)

Do you use the same hand each time or do you use alternate hands? Maybe you need to check you have the right sized clothing. Everything should be firmly in place before you set out on the bike. Assuming your breaking in the saddle on the bike, and not in some gimp style cellar somewhere in North County Dublin.

Actually I do need new shorts/tights but apart from that I have got a lot of discomfort from the new saddle.. The lads here in work gave me a tub of saddle soap so I'll start to apply from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I like when a fellow cyclist pulls in beside me for a chat. I find cycling way more sociable than running. Runners would run out over you and leave your for dead in the ditch. When I'm passing out a cyclist I . . . . . oh wait, I don't think I've ever passed out a cyclist apart from an auld fella on a hi nelly and we had a perfectly nice chat despite him having no teeth and me not understanding one word he was saying.

I normally go out with my club but recently I was out on my own and totally in my own little world, admiring the daffodils and baby donkeys in a field and feeling all Julie Andrewsish when a group of around 50 males whizzed out past me. I never heard them coming so they frighted the sh!te out of me. I may have screamed and jumped a couple of feet out of my saddle. They bursted their a$$es laughing at me apart from the nice guy at the back who asked me if I was alright. I was too busy recovering from the heart attack to answer him. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Schecter01 wrote: »
    That's very helpful thanks! I almost stroked his thighs today so glad now I didn't

If you were to do this, at least ask if he prefers wet or dry lube first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

I've encountered two lads who looked at me weird for giving them the pleasantry nod and hello, I find that some just stare at you and say nothing, if your gonna stare at me say hello then! Otherwise you just look like a psychopath. One lad passed me out and gave a howye, how's it goin I said. Yes I look forward to the club rides and a bit of cake. Can't bate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Lots of friendly people around Manor Kilbride today, I think everyone said hello or gave a nod.

Took a break at threecastles and a big group of about 40 passed by, I was nearly horse by the time they past me as I think every single one of them said hello.

Met up with one of the lads a bit up the road as he hung back for any stragglers, they were a training group for the Galway to Dublin trip in a few weeks. They'll have a great weekend if they are all that friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Met 7 oncoming cyclists yesterday. They all had a savage tailwind, I decided to run straight into it. Waved hello to each and every one and of the seven, two responded. Four stared at me and the other one didn't even look at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

On a recent experiment with a fellow club mate, we concluded that 34% of refuse truck drivers wave back at cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

lennymc wrote: »
    On a recent experiment with a fellow club mate, we concluded that 34% of refuse truck drivers wave back at cyclists.

a recent study concluded that 1 in 3 refuse drivers cycle bike's as a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Schecter01 wrote: »
    I've encountered two lads who looked at me weird for giving them the pleasantry nod and hello, I find that some just stare at you and say nothing, if your gonna stare at me say hello then! Otherwise you just look like a psychopath. One lad passed me out and gave a howye, how's it goin I said. Yes I look forward to the club rides and a bit of cake. Can't bate it.
    if its cakes yere after, the Elite Bakery on Maynooth Main Street, their cakes are the madra's liathroidi! oh and you will get a few nods, waves and the occasional hows it going, from other cyclists!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the 15/20 cyclists I encountered on Saturday morning last, in regards to the 2too cool for school numpties who were to busy to wave/nod/smile while out training for the most important event EVER I sincerley wish that you both get a case of big chief roaringhole! it takes 1 second to acknowledge each other!

I dislike rude people, just in case you didnt get that from the above!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What's big chief roaringhole?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Why do yis want others to wave back or care if they don't? I give a nod to others if out in the back o' beyond. Couldn't care less if they acknowledge me. In the city I give a nod to those who I know or who nod to me. Anyway, I don't care enough about this to have a strong opinion.

What's big chief roaringhole?
    well it can also be called Sting Ring, I am aware that some people may having lunch while I reply so I am trying to think of some of the less nasty terms for a very sore trademans entrance!

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Why do yis want others to wave back or care if they don't? I give a nod to others if out in the back o' beyond. Couldn't care less if they acknowledge me. In the city I give a nod to those who I know or who nod to me. Anyway, I don't care enough about this to have a strong opinion.
    afternoon Raam, its just a point of manners, if you give a nod to someone & they dont respond, its just bad manners. whether you agree or think its a waste of time commenting on it, that is entirely up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Bloggsie wrote: »
    afternoon Raam, its just a point of manners, if you give a nod to someone & they dont respond, its just bad manners. whether you agree or think its a waste of time commenting on it, that is entirely up to you.

Do you think that it's good manners to assume that acknowledging you is more important than someone's training? Never mind what you wish upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bloggsie wrote: »
    afternoon Raam, its just a point of manners, if you give a nod to someone & they dont respond, its just bad manners..
    If/when you drive a car do you salute other car drivers and expect a response? If you were driving a bus would you salute other bus drivers....? When you're walking down the street, do you nod at other walkers?

I'd be with Raam on this one. I'll generally nod back or instigate the nod (depending on where I am) but I don't think it's anything to get worked up over.

I disagree with equating the lack of a nod from a total stranger to bad manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I met a convoy of antique tractors in Annamoe yesterday. I waved at all the drivers (on behalf of all cyclists - you can thank me later).

Not all of them waved back. Is there a tractor forum where I can complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was driving in a GoCar recently, and passed another GoCar. The other driver mistook me pointing out the second GoCar to my wife as a wave, and had to transform his reciprocal wave into a nose scratch. Wish I had waved now.

Reminds me of Larry David's "Prius wave".

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

If you were driving a bus would you salute other bus drivers....?

Bus drivers are mad for waving at each other as they pass. luas drivers too. ill generally give a nod out on the bike

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I also was amongst the tractor run in Annamoe yesterday. It was class! I gave a few whoops and cheers going by them. Were you out with Bray daragh_? I was the lady on a black Felt in a Sundrive jersey. I didn't notice cyclists on the other side of the road, so I didn't wave at you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Bus drivers are mad for waving at each other as they pass. luas drivers too. ill generally give a nod out on the bike
    Dublin Bus drivers can get quite gregarious: stop to have a chat,lining up the passenger door and the driver window.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Dublin Bus drivers can get quite gregarious: stop to have a chat,lining up the passenger door and the driver window.

we need to encourage more bus drivers to get into road cycling so. bike to work on a bus scheme

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Do you think that it's good manners to assume that acknowledging you is more important than someone's training? Never mind what you wish upon them.
    My comments in regards the discomfort of those who didnt acknowledge me was said with my tongue firmly in my cheek, however I believe that if you are greeted by someone who passes you a return gesture is just mannerly, would you pass someone who was at the side of the road if they were stopped due to a breakdown, training or not?

Advertisement