Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling etiquette, meeting other cyclists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

MugMugs wrote: »
    Never understood that. I've been blanked by an entire opposite approaching club pelaton before. Odd.

Phew I feel better now....I thought I was the only other one besides Arry Potter who had an invisibility cloak....:D:D
    Must have been 1000 in this spin I see recently they only allow 300 register......beat that MugMugs:p:cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

daragh_ wrote: »
    Everyone in Lucan is a gent and a scholar and I won't hear a word sent against them.

That's got to be worth a least one lead out or a cash alternative.

I'd politely disagree. As a cyclist who shares a lot of road with them, I've been subject to some downright boorish behaviour.

I was out with a mate for his maiden voyage on his shiny new bike the other week. We were passed by a Lucan group, one of geniuses in the group shouted "hurry up or get off the road" as they passed. A nice "welcome to cycling" for my mate. Much discussion about cycling etiquette ensued.

I'm sure there are some lovely people in Lucan, but this really pissed me off.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

I'm Lucan born and bred, and while i moved away 3 years ago, I met 2 of the lucan club recently, and went to say hi to my fellow Lucan folk, ask them how they were getting i on, they weren't in the east bit interested in talking to me, and we're almost rude about it, but I put this down to individuals not a group, every group or society has its assholes, I wouldn't tar the entire lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I%20see_zpsqeozuipa.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Schecter01 wrote: »
    I wouldn't tar the entire lot.

I wouldn't know, they are either behind me or I overtake too quickly, either way, never gave them a chance to be rude :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Schecter01 wrote: »
    I'm Lucan born and bred, and while i moved away 3 years ago, I met 2 of the lucan club recently, and went to say hi to my fellow Lucan folk, ask them how they were getting i on, they weren't in the east bit interested in talking to me, and we're almost rude about it, but I put this down to individuals not a group, every group or society has its assholes, I wouldn't tar the entire lot.

They could have been from Longford and relying on the almost identical kit design and club letters to tar the [good?] name of Lucan riders!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

I have no problem with someone not waving. I have sometimes felt like that when there seems to be an never ending stream of cyclists coming in the opposite direction.
    I will always say hello or good morning to someone if I pass them.
    Passed two older guys on Sunday between Lucan and Leixlip and they were the first time I have experienced rudeness. Had matching gear with Usher on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

MLC61 wrote: »
    Had matching gear with Usher on it.

49d4fe1d63e55.jpg

Terrifying gear.

Back on topic, I'd always give a wave from the tops whilst cycling. Often not gotten a reply, but it's never bothered me. The only **** thing that happened was one of my first times heading up the Wicklow mountains. I was pretty heavy at the time, and two guys came up behind me and shouted 'WIDE LOAD' before laughing and shot up the hill. I felt like ****, turned the bike 'round and went home. What's made up for it is all the random conversations I've had struggling up other hills since then - I'm a terrible climber, so appreciate someone else having a chat on the way up to take the mind off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    They could have been from Longford and relying on the almost identical kit design and club letters to tar the [good?] name of Lucan riders!

Hey now don't be trying to tarnish the friendly Longfordian's reputation! We're a friendly people. (Even though I actually haven't lived there for 12 years and know nothing about that club, but still, home pride and all that!)
    OldBean wrote: »
    Terrifying gear.
    Back on topic, I'd always give a wave from the tops from cycling. Often not gotten a reply, but it's never bothered me. The only **** thing that happened was one of my first times heading up the Wicklow mountains. I was pretty heavy at the time, and two guys came up behind me and shouted 'WIDE LOAD' before laughing and shot up the hill. I felt like ****, turned the bike 'round and went home.

Jesus that's horrible. If someone did that to me I'd eat the head off them :mad:

gadetra wrote: »
    Hey now don't be trying to tarnish the friendly Longfordian's reputation! We're a friendly people. (Even though I actually haven't lived there for 12 years and know nothing about that club, but still, home pride and all that!)

Ah it's cool. Sure I'm half Longford. My "mammy" is from Clondra!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... one of my first times heading up the Wicklow mountains. I was pretty heavy at the time, and two guys came up behind me and shouted 'WIDE LOAD' before laughing and shot up the hill. I felt like ****, turned the bike 'round and went home....
    I had kind of the opposite experience a while back on Howth. I passed two heavy lads who were sweating profusely. Gave a polite rise of the left hand and said 'evenin' lads'. One responded 'You fcuker - stop making it look so easy'.

(I wouldn't mind but I'm fairly mediocre at climbing).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Ah it's cool. Sure I'm half Longford. My "mammy" is from Clondra!

No way! You have my deepest sympathies :p Ah no, it's the best of breeding sure ;)
    I will say you're lucky your Mother got out - Longford is where dreams go to die.

gadetra wrote: »
    No way! You have my deepest sympathies :p Ah no, it's the best of breeding sure ;)
    I will say you're lucky your Mother got out - Longford is where dreams go to die.

Yea, I know. We used to go there many weekends when I lost dreams and wellies in mahoosive piles of cow dung!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

. I was pretty heavy at the time, and two guys came up behind me and shouted 'WIDE LOAD' before laughing and shot up the hill. I felt like ****, turned the bike 'round and went home.

That's off the spectrum, complete assholes, hope they blew out on descent, painfully if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

You should of replied 'I thought dicks wore latex not spandex' . Tossers

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Lads in full Sky kit don't like to be engaged in any conversation even though they will stop elbow to elbow with you.

I passed a member of my own club yesterday, sporting the pink Boards Jersey. I waved so much, I loosened the bolts on my stem. Sadly the gesture was not returned.

You can take the man out of Donegal, but you cant take Donegal out of the man :)

Puggy wrote: »
    I passed a member of my own club yesterday, sporting the pink Boards Jersey. I waved so much, I loosened the bolts on my stem. Sadly the gesture was not returned.

You can take the man out of Donegal, but you cant take Donegal out of the man :)
    I just thought you were some sort of lunatic with your arms flailing about! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Went out today with this thread on my mind, and decided for the craic I'd acknowledge every cyclist on my commute.. From Portmarnock to Sutton, into Fairview (I didn't nod in the city) then out to Swords, Malahide Estuary, Portmarnock, Howth summit & harbour then back to Portmarnock.

Being a holiday the roads were full of cyclists and get this ~ I got ONE nod returned, ONE!!.

Why bother :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭G1032

Went out today with this thread on my mind, and decided for the craic I'd acknowledge every cyclist on my commute.. From Portmarnock to Sutton, into Fairview (I didn't nod in the city) then out to Swords, Malahide Estuary, Portmarnock, Howth summit & harbour then back to Portmarnock.

Being a holiday the roads were full of cyclists and get this ~ I got ONE nod returned, ONE!!.

You have to understand that they're probably all doing very important training and would use up unnecessary calories /energy by returning your greeting.

G1032 wrote: »
    You have to understand that they're probably all doing very important training and would use up unnecessary calories /energy by returning your greeting.

Well because I burned up so many more cals I awarded myself with a bacon sambo and a mug of tea on my return :D

• Advertisement

Were you in your work gear? :pac:

03-iraq-n100117_zpsqmvrqbhb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Iv a rather expensive lightweight, small and highly breathable montaine jacket I bought for the Himalayas a couple of years ago that I wear on particularly cold days, but as it has a hood I get virtually no hellos, nods or nothing when I wear it on the bike... The other jacket, the windproof biking cut and seemingly sociable one never seems to have this problem. Fickle bunch cyclists :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I cycle that route a lot so imagine it was busy today, pretty poor show. Maybe they thought you were some kind of dogging cyclist who was nodding in some secret code that meant you would stop and have some kind of impromptu sexual liaison in the next car park? You just never know these days.

Virtue is its own reward.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Don't give up man, keep fighting the good fight. One day we'll meet on the road and share a glorious head nod/one finger wave exchange.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Passed out 2 cyclists, waved and shouted good morning to both, nothing back.
    Meet same girl again on the return, waved to her and smiled, not a bean. Passed the same lad again, shouted LOVELY morning to him, not a bean out of him.

Meet 8 more cyclists in total then, all saluted me, 3 different cycling clubs, we are just a friendly bunch down here :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Back on topic, I'd always give a wave from the tops whilst cycling. Often not gotten a reply, but it's never bothered me. The only **** thing that happened was one of my first times heading up the Wicklow mountains. I was pretty heavy at the time, and two guys came up behind me and shouted 'WIDE LOAD' before laughing and shot up the hill. I felt like ****, turned the bike 'round and went home. What's made up for it is all the random conversations I've had struggling up other hills since then - I'm a terrible climber, so appreciate someone else having a chat on the way up to take the mind off.

What a pair of scumbags. I wouldn't let that get you down. I cannot stand bullies...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I had a very enthusiastic wave from a fellow cyclist today, didn't know them but they didn't just raise a finger off the bars , nor did they give a head nod, oh no, I was waved at, proper like. It was a full arm outstretched and if I was a little closer and not distracted by my plummeting average we might just have been able to hi 5 it in the middle of the road!!

Were you in your work gear? :pac:

03-iraq-n100117_zpsqmvrqbhb.jpg

Ok the cat is out of the bag;

342336.jpg
    Brian? wrote: »
    Don't give up man, keep fighting the good fight. One day we'll meet on the road and share a glorious head nod/one finger wave exchange.

Better yet, a thumb ar :P

342337.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I did a bit of that lap too. went from Artane and around howth and back. only a short spin, first one this year and in Dublin. Was really disappointed with some cyclists reactions, some of the passing cyclists just stared at you , I tried to give a wave, but I am too big and fat so I struggle with the balance. Then going up the hill I gave good nods, none returned. Had a chat with a guy I passed on the hill, then relaxed on the way back, so chatted for a km or before we went different ways.

Down the country you get more nods, and waves.

Advertisement