Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling etiquette, meeting other cyclists

Options
  • 04-03-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

This may seem a daft question, but what is the etiquette when a cycling alone and you cross paths with a fellow cyclist.
    My reason for asking is a really sound cyclist pulled pulled up alongside me today and started chatting away asking me how my ride was going etc, was a grand bit of Then he went his way and I went mine. Felt really good to have that, wouldn't happen when walking!

Would it be common place to slide up along a fellow chap on his evening spin and engage in chat, or a quick nod suffice? I don't want to come across a weirdo sponging on someone's spin but I don't want to be a rude tit either, what are the "unwritten rules " of cycling etiquette??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You can talk and look, just don't touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

That's very helpful thanks! I almost stroked his thighs today so glad now I didn't

Schecter01 wrote: »
    That's very helpful thanks! I almost stroked his thighs today so glad now I didn't

Well that's an easy slip to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When passing a fellow cyclist on an uphill it is mandatory to shift into a gear which makes it looks like you're spinning effortlessly, increase your speed, take one hand off the bars and wave a hearty good morning/afternoon'/evening. Not until you are out of earshot should any heavy breathing or effort on your part be audible to your vanquished foe fellow cyclist.

If you pass out from holding your breath, be sure to claim that a rat crossed your path and caused you to lose control.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    You can talk and look, just don't touch.
    Well actually that very much depends - I know you don't like it, but that Lusk_Doyle fella actively encourages it. I believe he left his old club as he felt his advances were not appreciated, but the club he moved to is renowned for that type of stuff....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lads in full Sky kit don't like to be engaged in any conversation even though they will stop elbow to elbow with you.

Lads in full Sky kit don't like to be engaged in any conversation even though they will stop elbow to elbow with you.

At least it's not cheek to cheek.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If the speed is the same, or close enough, pull alongside and say hello if you are the persuer. If they look like they are struggling to overtake, say hello and give them the excuse not to push harder. Be nice, have pointless chats about the weather, are they getting out much, hope it's going well this year etc. It's nice to be nice.

If they sit on your wheel without permission or without you knowing them, either hammer it and drop them or after a few minutes turnaround and tell them to F off and call a taxi if they want a lift :eek:

If they overtake you and slow down, either wheel suck if you are tired or pull up beside them, ask them was it worth it, and then hammer it, if this makes you tired take the next turn and rest at the nearest shop, if you feel buzzed, push like hell until the adrenaline wears off :pac:

Of course, you could adapt the first suggestion to suit the other two scenarios and just have a nice day :)

Of course if you stroke their thigh, and give a wink you'll solve your problem as you will either have a new friend or not see them again until a Garda turns up at your door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

seamus wrote: »
    When passing a fellow cyclist on an uphill it is mandatory to shift into a gear which makes it looks like you're spinning effortlessly, increase your speed, take one hand off the bars and wave a hearty good morning/afternoon'/evening. Not until you are out of earshot should any heavy breathing or effort on your part be audible to your vanquished foe fellow cyclist.

If you pass out from holding your breath, be sure to claim that a rat crossed your path and caused you to lose control.

The trick here is to know your surroundings, pass at a time you know there is a turn approaching you can take and heave your guts up into a ditch out of sight and earshot.

I'm so glad I started this thread, nice to see a bit o craic ;)

• Advertisement

Hats he said btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

I had some weirdo join me for a few km's on the way home on a spin, I was totally bolloxed, I hadn't the energy to even try to drop him, had to listen to him telling me how he never does less than 150kms on a spin etc,

I'd say there's a fair amount of 'bike sizing' going on too, akin to the quick downward look at yer mans lad in the jacks, groupset envy

Schecter01 wrote: »
    I'd say there's a fair amount of 'bike sizing' going on too, akin to the quick downward look at yer mans lad in the jacks, groupset envy

Only for the insecure ;)

Raam wrote: »
    Only for the insecure ;)
    Ah yes - those who feel the need to inform you that they just happen to be out on the winter bike/commuter bike/weekday bike etc. and that the good bike is at home.

Ah yes - those who feel the need to inform you that they just happen to be out on the winter bike/commuter bike/weekday bike etc. and that the good bike is at home.

LOL! I can't remember the last time I rode one of the good bikes... yep... there's more than one of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd a guy pull along side me a few weeks ago. When he came level he told me that he had eyed me up a while back and was determined to reel me in. Fair enough - no problem there. He seemed like a nice bloke at first but then he started yapping incessantly about this triathlon, that run, etc, etc. He just wouldn't shut up. I'm a yapper myself but I couldn't get a word in edgeways with this guy. I just nodded and grunted monosyllabic responses and slowly upped the pace without killing myself. After 3 or 4km he said 'You go on, son. I'm gonna do my own thing.'

So I went on. Weird out.

I'll usually say hello to a fellow cyclist and maybe have a quick chat but if I get the impression that he/she doesn't want company then I'll carry on without taking offence.

I encounter a very friendly chap occasionally heading north out of Dublin who is an absolute tonic. He rides a fixie and is from the Laytown/Bettytown area. I think he is a cycle courier in the city centre by day. He seems to know every other cyclist on the road and half the motorists too. He's a pleasure to cycle with and just gives me a lift every time he pulls up along side me. For all the distance he seems to cover, he has no interest in Strava, Boards.ie etc. I don't even know his name! Haven't seen him in a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I encounter a very friendly chap occasionally heading north out of Dublin who is an absolute tonic. He rides a fixie and is from the Laytown/Bettytown area. I think he is a cycle courier in the city centre by day. He seems to know every other cyclist on the road and half the motorists too. He's a pleasure to cycle with and just gives me a lift every time he pulls up along side me. For all the distance he seems to cover, he has no interest in Strava, Boards.ie etc. I don't even know his name! Haven't seen him in a while though.

Have I got this right, does he ride a fixie to and from town from Laytown?
    If he does I have no right ever to whinge about how tough some of my journeys I think they are.

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Have I got this right, does he ride a fixie to and from town from Laytown?
    If he does I have no right ever to whinge about how tough some of my journeys I think they are.
    Yup - commutes to and from Meath and couriers all day also (well so he claims). Hence my surprise he has no interest in recording rides via Strava etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Yup - commutes to and from Meath and couriers all day also (well so he claims). Hence my surprise he has no interest in recording rides via Strava etc.

Janey mac altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

He is indeed from Bettystown. He used cycle with our Sunday morning group. He is a cycle courier. He is an amazing guy, very unassuming and a great cyclist.. He sometimes takes his bike to Dublin on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Last september I was out on a long one and looking to finish the final 30km (straight country road) strong. I passed a guy who clearly didn't like it and shortly after I passed him I looked back. He was gunning it to get back on the wheel. I chucked and kept on riding. A couple of km later and he finally made it back on. He didn't pull up beside me but half wheeled at the back and announced himself by saying "knew I'd catch you". I said "congratulations but anyone can do that, the trick now is to stay there". He was clearly in bits. I kicked a little a few hundred meters later I hear "ah f**k you then!" as he disappeared off the back wheel.

Usually if someone comes up alongside me though or I come up along side them it'd be a wee chat and see if we are going the same direction and want to work it.

Some might consider me ignorant but when I come upon another cyclist (either passing or being passed) I generally tend to just say hi, give a wave/nod and carry on about my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

colm_gti wrote: »
    Some might consider me ignorant but when I come upon another cyclist (either passing or being passed) I generally tend to just say hi, give a wave/nod and carry on about my business.

Sometimes I do that. I guess it depends on where I am and what not on my own ride.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

colm_gti wrote: »

Don't see how thats ignorant, you said hi, you acknowledged them and then got back to what you were at, if nothing else, it seems super polite. It would be ignorant if you just tucked the head down and ignored them completely.

Yeah true enough, my thinking is that if they're passing me they're too strong for me to keep up or if I'm passing them I'm too strong for them to keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

aren't cyclists ahead of you targets? Suck the belly in and try and breath normally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Eamonnator wrote: »
    He is indeed from Bettystown. He used cycle with our Sunday morning group. He is a cycle courier. He is an amazing guy, very unassuming and a great cyclist.. He sometimes takes his bike to Dublin on the bus.

He's off in Italy as far as i know for a few months. Very nice chap.

On a side note, most people in high viz never say hello..........

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zorba wrote: »
    On a side note, most people in high viz never say hello..........
    Got to disagree there - A couple of guys were sorting out a leak in the office this morning - both were wearing hi-viz and both said "good morning" when I walked past - I know it's not exactly "hello" but it's close enough for me ....

Advertisement