Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is Ed Sheeran so popular?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭Sand

He's a very talented guy, seems to be genuinely nice, and from what I've seen of him doesn't mind taking the piss out of himself. He's like the anti-Kanye.

I don't actually listen to much of his music, and I get the singer-songwriter skit gets old, but I do recall replaying and replaying that "You need me, I don't need you" live session when I heard it for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

anewme wrote: »
    Talented unassuming guy, no airs and graces, writes his own music and plays instruments. I like his music, I like him as a person.

I think the question is odd, why is he popular? Why would he not be popular.

Seriously, we are a nation of begrudgers.

His success is well deserved. He is good at what he does.

In fairness, I don't think anyone would dispute the above.

The question is not just how is Ed Sheeran popular at all. The question is: how is Ed Sheeran SO fcuking popular that he is selling out Wembly and Croke Park multiple times, given that broadly speaking, he's not been around that long and his discography not all that large .

I like the guy, even some of his songs, but he is not (as of yet at least, imo blah blah blah) worthy of such venues, on a musical level at least and before anyone says he must be because he sold the tickets, might I remind you all that One Direction sold the place out three nights in a row, and Mr.Brooks, five and so selling tickets means diddly squat when it comes to musical worthiness.

Fcuk me, Noel Gallagher is playing the Point tomorrow night and he can't even sell that out and on your bike if you tell me he has shown himself to be in Noel's class as of yet. He may do, but he damn well hasn't so far. A few catchy tunes the strength of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Exactly. There are loads of those sensitive folk-meets-pop singer-songwriter lads - I think the question being asked is what is so special about Ed that he has had such a meteoric rise to stardom?
    Fair question I think. It's not a disputing of any talent he has, or a disputing that he's a nice, humble guy; it's not to be "cool" (come on, we're adults here!), it's not to knock him down due to huge success (good luck to him) - it's just why is it specifically he (out of a pool) that's so huge. He's not ugly as sin as some people are (weirdly) saying here, but he's not drop-dead gorgeous either, so there isn't that element to make him stand out either.
    He isn't notorious for getting up to controversial stuff.

Excellent marketing I guess - and all those boy-next-door qualities being nicely packaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

UCDVet wrote: »
    I figure he must be good at music, cause lord knows, he isn't skating by on his looks.

If he shaved his head or got a decent haircut he might be more appealing to wimmin.

Fair play to him though, seems to have a bag of talent compared to a lot of what's out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

lufties wrote: »
    If he shaved his head or got a decent haircut he might be more appealing to wimmin.

Fair play to him though, seems to have a bag of talent compared to a lot of what's out there.

He dated Ellie Goulding so your point is moot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

The question is not just how is Ed Sheeran popular at all. The question is: how is Ed Sheeran SO fcuking popular that he is selling out Wembly and Croke Park multiple times, given that broadly speaking, he's not been around that long and his discography not all that large .

He appeals to teenage girls, the biggest market for pretty much everything. And of those acts that target teenage girls he's probably by far the most talented.

None of his music appeals to me at all but I can see the talent. In ten years time, if his lyrics have moved past the lovestruck period and he sings about something that affects my life, I may become a fan. Seems like a gent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

yumyum10 wrote: »
    Three Wemblys, croke park etc. All of his songs are awful! How is he selling our shows?

Just be glad you acquired your musical interests of your own freewill as opposed to being spoon fed it.
    Could never understand people who automatically like the majority of the tunes in the charts.

The guy (or his team) have very shrewdly presented him as the "anti-X factor" option.

The tedious background stories about his busking/sleeping on the London underground etc are no less contrived than anything from Bieber/Gaga etc.

And so what if he writes his own songs? Does that affect ones enjoyment of same? This obsession with "authenticity" is everywhere.

Fair play to him and you if you like his music, but the "real music for music fans" narrative makes me vomit a little

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

The guy (or his team) have very shrewdly presented him as the "anti-X factor" option.

The tedious background stories about his busking/sleeping on the London underground etc are no less contrived than anything from Bieber/Gaga etc.

And so what if he writes his own songs? Does that affect ones enjoyment of same? This obsession with "authenticity" is everywhere.

Fair play to him and you if you like his music, but the "real music for music fans" narrative makes me vomit a little

Jaysus, you can't satisfy people these days..whats wrong with authenticity? as for sleeping on the london underground, why would you? was he homeless? I got on the tube yesterday at leicester square, there was a girl busking, its not glamourous, but she didn't seem unhappy.

lufties wrote: »
    Jaysus, you can't satisfy people these days..whats wrong with authenticity? as for sleeping on the london underground, why would you? was he homeless? I got on the tube yesterday at leicester square, there was a girl busking, its not glamourous, but she didn't seem unhappy.

Didn't say there was anything wrong with authenticity. But the public seem obsessed with it.

And regarding the rest of your post, sorry, but I can't see the connection to my point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I like the guy, even some of his songs, but he is not (as of yet at least, imo blah blah blah) worthy of such venues, on a musical level at least and before anyone says he must be because he sold the tickets, might I remind you all that One Direction sold the place out three nights in a row, and Mr.Brooks, five and so selling tickets means diddly squat when it comes to musical worthiness.

Fcuk me, Noel Gallagher is playing the Point tomorrow night and he can't even sell that out and on your bike if you tell me he has shown himself to be in Noel's class as of yet. He may do, but he damn well hasn't so far. A few catchy tunes the strength of it.

Simply put, he massively appeals to teenage girls, a very strong concert-going demographic. Does Sir Noel of Gallagher? :pac: Also, if Noel was appearing with Oasis, the interest would pick up massively.

Replying to the OP, I have no trouble understanding the popularity of Ed Sheeran and no problem with it, despite it not being my thing. He's probably the least annoying massively popular act of recent times. He is clearly talented. One Direction's popularity on the other hand, and lazy comparisons with the Beatles* really gets on my nerves.

* these comparisons with the Beatles, as well as just grabbing headlines for the boyz, seem to hinge on the Beatles' early, conservative days. But even then, they were far FAR superior to One Direction, and it was a different musical landscape in which they got their start, much more buttoned down. They then used their popularity wisely to continually experiment.

Advertisement