Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is Ed Sheeran so popular?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Music is very opinionated incase you hadn't noticed. If everyone liked the same music it would be a very boring world. I'll listen to anything from Nirvana to Nicki minaj, If I like the sound of a song and it gives me a buzz I listen regardless of genre, artist etc..

He writes his own music, plays his own instruments, performs live and got where he is through hard work and dedication. Nothing wrong with that. Just because you don't like the music doesn't make it shite.

Yeah, I'm always fighting with it. We can never agree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Music is very opinionated incase you hadn't noticed. If everyone liked the same music it would be a very boring world. I'll listen to anything from Nirvana to Nicki minaj, If I like the sound of a song and it gives me a buzz I listen regardless of genre, artist etc..

He writes his own music, plays his own instruments, performs live and got where he is through hard work and dedication. Nothing wrong with that. Just because you don't like the music doesn't make it shite.

From NIR to NIC.... you catalogue badly :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

Not a fan of his music in the slightest but I respect the hell out of him for how hard he's worked to get to where he is. I've been aware of his music for years due to him doing a lot of stuff with rappers and grime artists and to see how he's been playing small shows in clubs, even empty rooms if I remember one video I saw, to stadiums has to be applauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,374 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Grayson wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever heard something he's wrote/performed.

I stopped listening to the latest music when MTV stopped playing the latest music. So about 10 years ago.

MTV used play music :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I wouldn't be rushing out to buy his albums myself, but I'd have infinitely more respect for him making it big and doing it the right way (demo tapes, small gigs etc) and not through attending auditions for a manufactured boy band or X-Factor style TV show.

Wasn't really aware of him myself until his appearance on the LLS Toy Show and just thought that he was a down to earth bloke.

Fair play to him. He'd be more the kind of role model I'd like for my kids than any pretty boy/girl band wannabe.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

an overrated star in an era of overrated popular music. Theres still good music being made, you just have to dig to find it :s

It saddens me as with the homogenized and saccharine music industry today it means we will never have a David Bowie, Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin et al ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

People also hold Mrs. Browns Boys in high esteem especially over the pond and Garth Brookcould of sold out 5 concerts before the locals complained, causing a mini-rising. I think that's more mind boggling than Ed Sheeran's popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When I started reading about acts who I had never heard of selling out The Point I realised I was past the point of caring why these people are popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

An now,
    There are a lot of people here just getting old, including myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Couple of months back that fcuking Thinking Out Loud song was on the radio non-stop (still is) and it came on the radio again and I said to the person I was with: Ah ffs, I hate this bloody teenage love song crap and they were looked at me like I was nuts and asked what I meant and I said: Well, how is loving someone until your 17 a big deal?'. Yep, I actually said that. I may have to see a doctor.

As for his popularity, it does seem quite odd that he is selling out Wembly and Croke Park with that kind of music, which in general I happen to like. The Point I would get but Christ that's a lot of tickets for someone with only a few hits to his name. I think James Morrison was/is infinitely better and yet there's not a chance he would sell out Croke Park. I do think it's a temp thing though. His songs are okay but there is nothing about his music that sounds lasting to me. Give it five years and you'll see him back playing the likes of Vicar St where he belongs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bland inoffensive things will always be popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

If I hear found love where we are again aka Thinking Out Loud one more time, i'll scream internally.

Sickeningly,syrupy, sweet drip of a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Never heard any of his songs but apparently he writes his own music, which is more than can be said for most "artists" out there these days. Let him at it sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I don't understand how someone can say an musician is crap and expect that to be that. People have different preferences. I don't particularly like Ed's music. But i wouldn't just announce he is crap and be miffed that people like his music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I just find it odd that not only has he booked Croke Park, but he's appearently booked out two nights at it.

Is this a farewell tour or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Grayson wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever heard something he's wrote/performed.

I stopped listening to the latest music when MTV stopped playing the latest music. So about 10 years ago.

Do you often lie on the internet?..your saying you have never seen or heard his songs yet post in a thread dedicated to him?...

2 :cool: 4 school

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I just find it odd that not only has he booked Croke Park, but he's appearently booked out two nights at it.

Is this a farewell tour or something? :confused:

No, it's his 'get it all while the getting's good' tour

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Couple of months back that fcuking Thinking Out Loud song was on the radio non-stop (still is) and it came on the radio again and I said to the person I was with: Ah ffs, I hate this bloody teenage love song crap and they were looked at me like I was nuts and asked what I meant and I said: Well, how is loving someone until your 17 a big deal?'. Yep, I actually said that. I may have to see a doctor.

It's 70 not 17,

"And darling I will be loving you 'til we're 70"

I've seen him live and he's a great entertainer, gets everyone involved.. You can really sense that he loves what he's doing and he always does encores, the guy never stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

gazzamc wrote: »
    It's 70 not 17,

"And darling I will be loving you 'til we're 70"

I've seen him live and he's a great entertainer, gets everyone involved.. You can really sense that he loves what he's doing and he always does encores, the guy never stops.

Describing a wedding singer there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Birneybau wrote: »

Britain's answer to Daniel O'Donnell by the sound of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Birneybau wrote: »

I'd love to see a wedding singer do what he does with a guitar and a loop pedal, he creates the songs from scratch each show. He doesn't have a dedicated drummer he uses the guitar to create his own drum loop.. He even does his own backing vocals.. Of course there is a sound engineer in the background but still the guy is talented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

He writes his own songs and writes for other artists too. Hes a wonderful song writer.

OP List your musical taste here so we can judge it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think he's quite good, plays his guitar, writes some songs, sings, works hard and seems like a nice guy. To show you he worked hard...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

gazzamc wrote: »
    I'd love to see a wedding singer do what he does with a guitar and a loop pedal, he creates the songs from scratch each show. He doesn't have a dedicated drummer he uses the guitar to create his own drum loop.. He even does his own backing vocals.. Of course there is a sound engineer in the background but still the guy is talented.

No backing band at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I saw him at Vicar St last May (won tickets) and have to say he was fantastic. I was fairly "meh" about him til then, but really like him now.

He seems to be pretty unaffected by fame, and comes across as a pleasant and sound individual in every interview I've seen of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

its the X-Factor generation, sold everything through social media, including what bands/singers to like..

I dont watch X Factor, still buy CDs, old enough to remember buying Cassettes, and i enjoy his music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

No backing band at all?

Nope. At least not when I saw him live. He probably has something in larger arenas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

HE IS A LEGEND WHO LIKES TURTLES.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

No backing band at all?

I've seen him 6 times, he's never had a backing band of any kind at any gig I've been to. All done with the loop pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Muir wrote: »
    I've seen him 6 times, he's never had a backing band of any kind at any gig I've been to. All done with the loop pedal.

That is impressive. Does it not make the song very long, as in, laying down the different parts before he actually starts?

Advertisement