Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is Ed Sheeran so popular?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Ever since the whole late late show thing I've noticed he's become more popular,comes across as a real wholesome guy,the type you could bring home to your parents.......I'll give it a few months until the scandals about him start making the tabloids

I can assure you the poxy late late has NOTHING to do with his success. A ****y little irish show watched by 1 million boggers and 500,000 coffin dodgers did not aid in any way his worldwide success.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

Popular music now is no different to any other time. Much of it is just white noise to me but I have a big collection of music that I like and mostly ignore the charts. My missus raves about Kanye West. I was watching him on Jonathan Ross last night and have to say I just don't get him. Wouldn't say he is crap though by any means. Just not my style. I find Ed Sheeran to be good though, good melodies and story-telling in his lyrics. Sometimes it's nice when pop music throws out something a bit different. Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

That is impressive. Does it not make the song very long, as in, laying down the different parts before he actually starts?

No, he really does a great job of it, it all feels like part of the song. His Multiply gig in Vicar Street in May is on Youtube so you'd get an idea from that, it's probably the best gig I've been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Gingers are extremely talented and creative people. Also ginger males are at least 10 times better in bed than other men of other hair colours. Contrary to popular belief ginger males get a LOT of sex because a large percentage of people men and women find gingers to be extremely hot. The sheer raw sexual magnetism of these people upset most people with black & brown hair. Blondes don't really care one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

No backing band at all?

Not in the show I went to see (Mansfield, MA)..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Always love it when a thread starts with "WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE A THING I DON'T LIKE?"

It's almost like we're all different or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

yumyum10 wrote: »
    Three Wemblys, croke park etc. All of his songs are awful! How is he selling our shows?

Are you aware of the concept of an opinion? Some people like cheese and onion crisps. Some people don't. Some like winter while some prefer summer. Some like Ed Sheeran's songs while some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Just listened to 'lego house' and 'A team', actually pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Looping, and being entertaining in the process, is a skill not to be sniffed at. Nevertheless, I haven't seen him doing anything that KT Tunstall wasn't doing better five years ago ... :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Gingers are extremely talented and creative people. Also ginger males are at least 10 times better in bed than other men of other hair colours. Contrary to popular belief ginger males get a LOT of sex because a large percentage of people men and women find gingers to be extremely hot. The sheer raw sexual magnetism of these people upset most people with black & brown hair. Blondes don't really care one way or the other.

Red in the head, mad/good in bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Are you aware of the concept of an opinion? Some people like cheese and onion crisps. Some people don't. Some like winter while some prefer summer. Some like Ed Sheeran's songs while some don't.

Are you talking Tayto or King?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Muir wrote: »
    No, he really does a great job of it, it all feels like part of the song. His Multiply gig in Vicar Street in May is on Youtube so you'd get an idea from that, it's probably the best gig I've been to.

Flicking through bits of it now.He is good alright in fairness, being up there all alone and doing all the bits he does is extremely talented stuff.

Wouldn't be a huge fan of the type of music but huge respect for the fella. If I could catch a gig I'd probably go.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

lufties wrote: »
    Just listened to 'lego house' and 'A team', actually pretty good.

"Drunk" is the one I like.

I love this cover of " Take me to church"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOPKDYuUzyw

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Are you talking Tayto or King?

Never heard of them. I'm talking Lays and Walkers.

Never heard of them. I'm talking Lays and Walkers.

Ponse

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I love this cover of " Take me to church"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOPKDYuUzyw

Kind of sounds like the guitar is out of tune or the lack of hoziers unique husky voice, it could also be that I'm a huge fan of Hozier so I'm biased..

Huge fan of ed too but I just don't like this cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

The loop pedal skills are impressive tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

bnt wrote: »
    Looping, and being entertaining in the process, is a skill not to be sniffed at. Nevertheless, I haven't seen him doing anything that KT Tunstall wasn't doing better five years ago ... :cool:

I was a fan when she first came out in 2005, but she got very samey very fast. Plus she hasn't released anything of note in about 7 years now...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

He tries to be as sentimental as possible while leaving the poppiest elements in his music while maintaining that he's a 'real' musician by performing with just his guitar. A lot of it's about image.

• Advertisement

Ponse

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Cant say I'm a fan of his music but he seems like a decent lad and does have genuine talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I wouldn't be mad about him but I can see why he's so popular. He's a pop singer and a talented musician, there wouldn't be a lot of singers who appeal to pre teen girls and grown men, but Ed Sheeran is probably as close as you'll get. His charming personality helps as well, and tapping in to that Justin Timberlake/Pharell sound hasn't done him any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was a fan when she first came out in 2005, but she got very samey very fast. Plus she hasn't released anything of note in about 7 years now...
    2005! I'm changing my signature right now ... :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

bnt wrote: »
    2005! I'm changing my signature right now ... :o
    haha, I only know this because a friend got my her album for my 18th and "Other Side of The World" was playing on the radio the morning of my first Leaving Cert exam :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

TheWolf wrote: »
    The loop pedal skills are impressive tbf

His Live Room is amazing, Give Me Love is one of my favourite ever songs and he just makes it so much better here. Seeing it live last October in the 3 was unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Hate the man !!! He is only nice because he is ginger and no one likes gingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I suppose the same was being said about Beatles back in the day
    ''Why are they so popular? they have awful haircuts!!''

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Talented unassuming guy, no airs and graces, writes his own music and plays instruments. I like his music, I like him as a person.

I think the question is odd, why is he popular? Why would he not be popular.

Seriously, we are a nation of begrudgers.

His success is well deserved. He is good at what he does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I figure he must be good at music, cause lord knows, he isn't skating by on his looks.

Advertisement