Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delhi rapist says victim shouldn't have fought back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Stories like this really put me off my chicken tikka massala.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

This is one sick individual s view. And he's probably trying to justify it so he can get out of being given the death penalty.
    I'm sure the majority of Indians want him dead and gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The only way this will get changed is if it starts to hit India's ruling upper cast elite in the pocket - and if it dampens interest in international trade.

They're going to do serious damage to their ability to attract Western or Eastern FDI because what American, European, Japanese, Chinese, or any other woman who might be a major business person or working for a big business would want to locate somewhere with those kinds of attitudes to their safety and wellbeing ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Remind me again why Ireland sends aid to a country like this and that has it's own space program ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bjork wrote: »
    ^^ What tosh^^

We need to screen people coming from these countries more stringently.

Whats that to do with the topic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

KungPao wrote: »

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

crazygeryy wrote: »
    This is one sick individual s view. And he's probably trying to justify it so he can get out of being given the death penalty.
    I'm sure the majority of Indians want him dead and gone.

Maybe but i think what he's saying he believes 100%

there's a telling bit in the trial of Eichmann where Eichmann complained about the conditions on the trains that went to the death camps. He didn't want the jews to suffer. He felt they should die and he felt no guilt about it but at the same time he thought that additional suffering was just cruel.

That's where Hannah Arendt came up with the phrase the banality of Evil.

Likewise this guy probably thought that he was perfectly justified to beat the poor woman he assaulted. If you asked him if he was a good or evil person he'd probably think that everything he's done was ok and it probably wondering why he's in jail when what he did wasn't that bad.

It's just messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Nodin wrote: »
    Whats that to do with the topic?

How is it not got to do with the topic?

How is it not got to do with the topic?

This is about rapes in India. You're crapping on about immigration.

This is about rapes in India. You're crapping on about immigration.

Yeah and someone else is crapping on about Ireland Laundries and you're crapping on about me

People can move from India to Ireland, bringing with them 'elements and attitudes of their culture which may not be welcome.

Unless you're suggesting we put a big fence around India to keep them there ?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

India seems to be the kind of country western feminists think they live in

Yeah and someone else is crapping on about Ireland Laundries and you're crapping on about me

People can move from India to Ireland, bringing with them 'elements and attitudes of their culture with may not be welcome.

So rapists in India = excuse for xenophobia? Great stuff. They already check for criminal convictions, which is all you should be worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

All I need to know about this case is when these guys are being executed or if they aren't why not.

So rapists in India = excuse for xenophobia? Great stuff. They already check for criminal convictions, which is all you should be worried about.

No Nodin

I will not be welcoming the culture and attitude that we have seen from this person, their lawyer and those like him with open arms.

You might call it xenophobia> I call it not being ****ing stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

And to think of how many Irish girls go travelling India, some on their own

I think they're safe enough. They think we are all impure or something.

No Nodin

I will not be welcoming the culture and attitude that we have seen from this person, their lawyer and those like him with open arms.

Nobody asked you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Worlds largest democracy? Worlds largest hellmouth more like, and competition for that spot is pretty fierce at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

KungPao wrote: »

Invented in Birmingham wasn't it ?

Nobody asked you to.

Do they ask the their views on rape at the immigration interview?

No Nodin

You might call it xenophobia> I call it not being ****ing stupid

To be fair emigrants tend to be more open and less likely to cling to ideas like that.

I realise that there was a small subsection in the UK who groomed young girls but realistically there are millions of people in the UK who trace their roots to the sub continent and the countries bordering it. Most are fine.

• Advertisement

Of course not.

they do however ask how they feel about water charges ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Invented in Birmingham wasn't it ?

Thought it was Scottish? Or its another popular Indian themed dish I'm mixing it up with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭BD45

Gang rape is a national pastime in India, second in popularity only to cricket.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

BD45 wrote: »
    Gang rape is a national pastime in India, second in popularity only to cricket.

Let's leave out the offensive generalisations

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Quite correct: cricket is a terrible sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

fatknacker wrote: »
    Yet the many Indian people I have met and befriended agree that the attitude towards rape and women in their country is appalling.
    Is it easier to think the whole or at least, majority of a nation of 1billion people is behind these fckd up psychopaths?
    The people who have traveled and can afford to be educated. I have noticed that changes everything in every country.

I have friends I went to school with who grew up here who are Asian. They would mostly be atheists now.

The thing is the lot for a poor Asian bus driver is well ...not a lot. And it suits society to sell the demeaning of women and children as some sort of extra right. 'At least you are better off than them'.

Plus the fact that there is a huge gender imbalance. The 2011 census in India has revealed that the gender imbalance is at its highest level since records began being kept at the country’s independence in 1947. Robbery, rape and bride trafficking” are associated with societies with large gender imbalances.Women in India are sometimes permitted, even encouraged, to ‘marry up’ into a higher income bracket or caste, so richer men find it easier to get a bride. The poor are forced into a long or permanent bachelorhood; a status widely frowned upon in India, where marriage is deemed essential to becoming a full member of society. Poor bachelors are often victims of violent crime. They live in a highly caste based country. I like the phrase 'it's not just a couple of apples it is the whole barrel that is rotten'. The pervading toxicity has been also ironically changed by more liberal attitudes towards sex. Yet violent attitudes towards gays or trans people or women and children.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/03/india-outraged-interview-man-convicted-gang-rape-student

It's worth saying though. A lot of Indians themselves are outraged.
    When a 14-year-old girl was pulled from her home, dragged to a nearby forest and raped, police revealed the assault was ordered by the head of her village in India.
    The horrific case, which took place last week, has once again shed light on local councils, called panchayats, which wield significant power in rural villages throughout India and can dole out punishment with impunity.
    The incident occurred after the girl's brother was accused of attempting to rape a married woman, according to police.The village council met and directed the aggrieved woman's husband, identified as Nakabandi Passi, to rape the accused assailant's young sister in retaliation, police said.

This story is crazy. The wife of the head of a village was the victim of an attempted rape. So her husband order the rape of his 14 year old sister!
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/15/world/asia/india-rape-village-rules/
    In January, a 20-year-old woman said she had been gang-raped as a punishment ordered by her village head in West Bengal. The woman's "offense" was that she fell in love with a man from a different community, according to Amnesty International. Indian media have also reported cases of rape survivors being forced to marry their attackers by panchayats, including victims as young as six years old.

"For panchayats, crimes against women are only problematic in that they damage another man's property and honor,"

Women and children are a man's property. Poorer men are a richer man's property.
    Retribution rape is used "as a way of settling scores," she said, because the family's honor is tied to a woman's "purity." So if a woman is raped, that honor is lost.
    Ordering the man's younger sister to be raped is not a case of "eye for an eye," she said.
    "It is because, according to age-old honor codes, that is the best way to shame him."
    Child victims of sexual abuse in India are often mistreated and humiliated by police, says the US-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) in a new report.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-21352102

I think democracy in India is still to dictatorial. I don't think the majority of the people there feel that they can stand up to corruption.
    Campaigners say children are sexually abused by relatives, neighbours, at school and at care homes for orphans and that most of the cases go unreported because in India's traditional system, parents and families are afraid of attracting social stigma.

Again the family and men share in the victim's shame and stigma.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7738259.stm

Abuse of boys is common in places of religious tourism.
    Children interviewed said the abusers were foreign and domestic tourists, as well as local residents.
    Civil rights groups say there is an urgent need for the government to address the issue.
    The study was carried out in the temple towns of Puri in Orissa, Thirupathi in Andhra Pradesh and Guruvayoor in Kerala.
    The report says the abuse starts at about age six and by the time the boys turn nine they get drawn into full time prostitution.
    "The children interviewed mentioned that the foreign tourists relationships with them was very easy and the abusers were foreign tourists, domestic tourists and the locals also," Ms Vidya said.
    "The foreign tourists stay in a particular place for very long and then they get used to the child and the child's family and they stay with the children and they try to abuse the children. With domestic tourists they go to brothels or middle men to abuse the child. Sometimes they are already abused by family members and later they are forced into it."

Most street children in India have experienced abuse. They get a lot of foreign abuse tourists too. People from Europe or the States because those sociopaths too want to exploit the vulnerable.
    Ms Vidya says the current government policies are only geared towards addressing the abuse of girls. She says boys are equally vulnerable but they are being left out of their ambit.
    Ms Vidya's organisation says the government must come up with what it calls zero tolerance towards any form of child abuse.

I think a total rehash of sexual morality is needed. It's unbelievable. And it's not just a few rotten apples it's the barrel that is rotten. Someone is a peadophile ? Rape their family??

The arrogance of which this kind of opinion and the surety behind it is formed is not through a democracy where healthy debate takes place but a type of patriarchy.The panchayati council, one of several in the region, is a secondary system of governance that runs parallel to India's established government. Oftentimes, these caste councils, comprised of unelected elders of the village, assemble to settle local disputes. They are unelected and all male. They are selected based on caste.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/05/child-rape-victim-forced-marry-attacker-son_n_3875754.html

A six year old girl was raped by a 40 year old man. The council village's solution was to force the six year old to marry the man's eight year old son.????
    The reported assaults against the 6-year-old girl are the most recent in a series of attacks in northern India. Last month, Jaipur police said a father confessed to raping his 3-year-old daughter and blamed his wife for denying him sex.

Perhaps we should stop buying and boycott things made in India until they start forming appropriate laws to deal with ALL forms of sex abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

A lot of people are loathe to make any comment on what happens in Asia as there is always some liberal leftie who will be outraged by our attempts to impose western norms and human rights on these regions. We are always told to stay out of other nation's issues, that we only make things worse and they should sort out their own problems via traditional means. Most tribal elders are unfortunately illiterate chauvinists who know nothing but tradition, whether its good or bad. It may be a generalisation but I have a feeling an accurate one.

The people who have traveled and can afford to be educated. I have noticed that changes everything in every country.

I have friends I went to school with who grew up here who are Asian. They would mostly be atheists now.

The thing is the lot for a poor Asian bus driver is well ...not a lot. And it suits society to sell the demeaning of women and children as some sort of extra right. 'At least you are better off than them'.

Plus the fact that there is a huge gender imbalance. The 2011 census in India has revealed that the gender imbalance is at its highest level since records began being kept at the country’s independence in 1947. Robbery, rape and bride trafficking” are associated with societies with large gender imbalances.Women in India are sometimes permitted, even encouraged, to ‘marry up’ into a higher income bracket or caste, so richer men find it easier to get a bride. The poor are forced into a long or permanent bachelorhood; a status widely frowned upon in India, where marriage is deemed essential to becoming a full member of society. Poor bachelors are often victims of violent crime. They live in a highly caste based country. I like the phrase 'it's not just a couple of apples it is the whole barrel that is rotten'. The pervading toxicity has been also ironically changed by more liberal attitudes towards sex. Yet violent attitudes towards gays or trans people or women and children.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/03/india-outraged-interview-man-convicted-gang-rape-student

It's worth saying though. A lot of Indians themselves are outraged.

This story is crazy. The wife of the head of a village was the victim of an attempted rape. So her husband order the rape of his 14 year old sister!
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/15/world/asia/india-rape-village-rules/

"For panchayats, crimes against women are only problematic in that they damage another man's property and honor,"

Women and children are a man's property. Poorer men are a richer man's property.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-21352102

I think democracy in India is still to dictatorial. I don't think the majority of the people there feel that they can stand up to corruption.

Again the family and men share in the victim's shame and stigma.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7738259.stm

Abuse of boys is common in places of religious tourism.

Most street children in India have experienced abuse. They get a lot of foreign abuse tourists too. People from Europe or the States because those sociopaths too want to exploit the vulnerable.

I think a total rehash of sexual morality is needed. It's unbelievable. And it's not just a few rotten apples it's the barrel that is rotten. Someone is a peadophile ? Rape their family??

The arrogance of which this kind of opinion and the surety behind it is formed is not through a democracy where healthy debate takes place but a type of patriarchy.The panchayati council, one of several in the region, is a secondary system of governance that runs parallel to India's established government. Oftentimes, these caste councils, comprised of unelected elders of the village, assemble to settle local disputes. They are unelected and all male. They are selected based on caste.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/05/child-rape-victim-forced-marry-attacker-son_n_3875754.html

A six year old girl was raped by a 40 year old man. The council village's solution was to force the six year old to marry the man's eight year old son.????

Perhaps we should stop buying and boycott things made in India until they start forming appropriate laws to deal with ALL forms of sex abuse.

A lot of what goes on is illegal though, the problem is lack of enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

A lot of what goes on is illegal though, the problem is lack of enforcement.

The problem is quite clearly cultural.

Advertisement