Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberal or Conservative?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I flip flop from right to left from liberal to conservative depending on the issue. Its the people who stick resolutely to one philosophy that I find scary.
    I can be borderline Nazi with some issues. Like what should go on a fry for breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I will never put myself into a liberal or conservative box.

I prefer a centralist approach to take each action and decision by what I would believe was logically, ethically and morally right.

Putting myself into one camp would leave me with blinkered rose tinted glasses and no acceptance or understanding of another person's point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Definately liberal. The only exception would be the way society responds to sociopaths who kill, torture and abuse. I would like to see longer sentences (life meaning life in some cases) and I don't believe that all are capable of rehabilitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Ironically, Karl Stein displays a prejudice against right wingers by generalising them as cúnts, thus contributing to prejudice.

welcome to lefties way of debating topics.
    it usually goes deny deflect and then defame.
    I mean how can you argue against this logic........http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80303607&postcount=7534

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

kupus wrote: »
    I mean how can you argue against this logic........http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80303607&postcount=7534

thats pretty easy to argue with, actually. The homeless guy is less likely to be hired than the cute little girl next door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

jank wrote: »
    Yet, you would probably see yourself as educated, enlightened and open-minded... :) ROFL.

You can only be so open minded. Go too far and your brain falls out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I can be borderline Nazi with some issues. Like what should go on a fry for breakfast.

The Jews?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,413 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Conservative because they were liberals once and copped themselves on :)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Conservative but reckon the libertarians have some good ideas in the market sphere and the economic leftists have points when it comes to stronger worker protections. Both have sometimes conflicting aims but a dynamic were ideas synergise provides a different way of achieving social norms that are the basis for politics.

thats pretty easy to argue with, actually. The homeless guy is less likely to be hired than the cute little girl next door.

if you say so:rolleyes:
    Conservative because they were liberals once and copped themselves on :)

Very true. once they leave their sheltered lives and their little bubble surrounded by their like minded friends. Its amazing the transformation.

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    Conservative but reckon the libertarians have some good ideas in the market sphere and the economic leftists have points when it comes to stronger worker protections. Both have sometimes conflicting aims but a dynamic were ideas synergise provides a different way of achieving social norms that are the basis for politics.

A blend of all of that would be paradise.
    we are animals that are highly evolved, but the genetic wiring is still there for greed, manipulation and all round survival at all costs.

I used to think that people were backwards in olden times, but the more I think how enlightened the world is, the more I think no its not,
    Its staying the same. If you got picked a civil servant from 1AD living in rome, Im sure he'd have the exact same life problems as someone in washington dc now. ( Im not talking about iphones and abacuses, Im talking about greed, corruption, and all round scumbaggery)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Does anyone with half a brain truly believe that conversation actually took place? It was quite obviously dreamed up by some twat who gets paid to churn out right-wing propaganda.

Edit: After a small bit of googling the 77 people who thanked the post failed to do (quelle surprise) it was exposed for the shite it is. The truth trumps right-wing propaganda every time without fail.
    all this does is highlight the sheer child-like ignorance of the Republican standpoint. The Republican in the story fails to point out some pretty obvious reasons why this wouldn’t work.

addictinginfo.org/republican-meme-debunked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I would say I am left wing but have some right wing opinions. Like some others have said it depends on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Right wing authoritarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Left wing statist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Right wing authoritarian.

To the people who are saying this, can you outline why?

Assuming you aren't joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,333 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I think Ireland needs new political parties!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I am right wing for the most part, but I do have some liberal views.

I have a real problem with welfare in Ireland. The actual issues would require their own thread but the system we have is crap. Immigration needs to be curbed big time. There should be some basic requirements like education or transferable skills before you can come here to live. I also think that there should be a minimum duration of time worked here before a single cent of welfare should be paid.

I'd love to see the unions disappear. They are the single reason that our public sector is the shambles that it is. We'll never be able to introduce proper reform while there are unions to block every initiative. As an aside, the public sector needs to be completely and utterly reformed from the ground up, starting with sacking the huge amount of jobsworths that work in it. There should never be such a thing as a job for life.

Socially however, I'm pro choice, pro same sex marriage and pro gay adoption. I'm against privatisation of public services, especially healthcare. That's just some of the things that come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

• Economically liberal, capitalist, pro-regulated business.
    • Opposed to income tax and capital gains tax.
    • Socially liberal, smoke what you want, screw who you want, marry who you want, do what you want to your own body as long as it's all consent-based.
    • No mandatory subjects beyond basic maths (including finance) and English, some history, science, and some philosophy to teach critical thinking skills. Third-level education should be free for those who want to study subjects deemed economically important and desirable; but it would be mandatory to achieve a certain grade by the end of the first year; if you underperform, you have to pay until grades improve. Humanities-based subjects (apart from teaching) would all be subject to a fee. So you can major in medieval history or early childhood studies or sociology for your undergrad, but expect to pay for it.
    • Want a completely secular country.
    • Lengthy jail terms for those guilty of violent crime.
    • Opposed to open-door immigration and believe western countries should think very carefully about who they choose to admit, especially when considering immigrants from troubled regions.
    • Proper planning - no more one-off houses. Cities to be built up, not out.
    • See no evidence that the majority of the population are rational or intelligent enough for direct democracy. In favor of a list system and long-term, technocratic governments. Ideally would prefer a benevolent dictatorship but know this is impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^^I'll go along with most of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Those bloody refugees fleeing for their lives

Fleeing so fast they apparently managed to pass out at least a dozen other countries on the way before inexplicably finding themselves in the one with, arguably, the most generous social welfare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Libertarian. Keep the govt small, keep entitlements small, encourage personal responsibility and stay out of citizens' private lives.

I agree with every point in FURET's post. One-off housing in particular is an issue which just isn't addressed enough in this country and is something which is choking it. People should be clustered more into towns and villages instead of being dispersed along rural roads. This makes providing quality services to people too costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Tony EH wrote: »
    To the people who are saying this, can you outline why?

Assuming you aren't joking.

They can live under an enlightening dictator. Who will impose censorship to protect people from various societal evils.The dictator will be like a Philosopher king as outlined in the Republic by Plato, he will be Machiavellian in Character and will be cunning.

The government will be strongly centralized and private property will be allowed to flourish.Discontent will be dealt with accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

This makes providing quality services to people too costly.

What quality services do rural people get without having to pay for them themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Hard left with a hatred for Jews and coloured people

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

FURET wrote: »
    Economically liberal....Socially liberal.....

See no evidence that the majority of the population are rational or intelligent enough for direct democracy

Good post but this is an absurd statement.

For someone who espouses economic liberalism (and presumably recognises that the individuals ability to make rational decisions is superior to government meddling) the idea of a "benevolent" dictatorship dominated by technocrats would implicitly contravene individual freedom and, sooner or later, cripple any free-market you may wish to see in place.

To reply to the thread, I find myself becoming somewhat more conservative on social issues and more liberal on economic issues as I get older.

I don't think I have any extreme views....apart from what I think should be done with violent criminals.

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    What quality services do rural people get without having to pay for them themselves?
    Unfortunately infrastructure doesn't magically appear at no cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Unfortunately infrastructure doesn't magically appear at no cost.

You didn't answer my question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

if you say so:rolleyes:

hey, if you are going to post baseless jokey ****e and claim it is logically sound, I can respond in kind surely?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement