Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberal or Conservative?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

In the past I probably would have called myself a liberal without a moments hesitation.

Nowadays, I try to stick to the middle of the road, because wholly committing yourself to one side of the Political Spectrum will ultimately transform you into some kind of dogmatic ideologue (and basically a bore at parties). Case in point being the modern Feminist movement and all it's stupid SJW baggage.

I honestly thought I was progressive before I discovered this burgeoning movement. Oh, how wrong I was. Turns out I'm the most terrible oppressor on the planet.

That's my feckin job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Classical Liberalism is probably the category I'd fall into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Left socially
    Right economically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I'm a realist.

Right wing on a lot of things I guess, so it's pretty amusing being labelled a leftie liberal crusty by some just because I see through their bollocks

That's the strangest super power I've ever heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

'Right wing' is a euphemism for 'absolute cunt' as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭true567

Liberal mostly. Conservative (I think) in regards to immigration, etc. I feel that we should care more about our own people instead of throwing the doors open; Refugees wouldn't be included in that.

I've got zero idea of economics so I have no clue where I stand on that.

Of course you have zero idea of economics- you just proposed importing refugees and shunning away educated/trained individuals. No need to include the second sentence on that one.

true567 wrote: »
    Of course you have zero idea of economics- you just proposed importing refugees and shunning away educated/trained individuals. No need to include the second sentence on that one.

So refugees have no education and economic migrants do. Those bloody refugees fleeing for their lives. I'm beginning to think Karl Stein has a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Very liberal on certain things, very conservative on others. Like most people my age I assume

So refugees have no education and economic migrants do. Those bloody refugees fleeing for their lives. I'm beginning to think Karl Stein has a point.

I never said no education- I'm sure they understand simple things. But if a refugee speaks broken english, never pursued education past 11 years of age, and does not have job skills then they are not valuable economically speaking. Whereas, European (we have a partnership and commitment to these nations) citizens with degrees and training are valuable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I never said no education- I'm sure they understand simple things. But if a refugee speaks broken english, never pursued education past 11 years of age, and does not have job skills then they are not valuable economically speaking. Whereas, European (we have a partnership and commitment to these nations) citizens with degrees and training are valuable.

What about refugees with degrees and training?

• Advertisement

Congratulations a truly nonsensical post . I (sarcastically) applaud your ignorance and lack of humanity.

COYVB wrote: »
    What about refugees with degrees and training?

Perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Socially I'm very liberal with drug laws, abortion, euthanasia, personal freedoms etc

Fiscally conservative because I don't have enough knowledge of the system to really make a judgement

Congratulations a truly nonsensical post . I (sarcastically) applaud your ignorance and lack of humanity.

All I got out of that was your lackluster use of "sarcastically". For instance, saying "I applaud your ignorance and lack of humanity" would be recognized as a sarcastic comment however when you tell someone it is sarcasm it means that it was a poorly delivered joke but it also diminishes the purpose of using sarcasm as a technique (or lack thereof) to undermine someone because it is suppose to be somewhat subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Isn't a liberal just a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet?

All I got out of that was your lackluster use of "sarcastically". For instance, saying "I applaud your ignorance and lack of humanity" would be recognized as a sarcastic comment however when you tell someone it is sarcasm it means that it was a poorly delivered joke but it also diminishes the purpose of using sarcasm as a technique (or lack thereof) to undermine someone because it is suppose to be somewhat subtle.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I intended no humour in my post. My use of sarcasm was alternative to a more direct approach. For instance I could have said that you are what is colloquially known as a Dumbfùck. This would have negated the need for sarcasm but would be less polite so of course I wouldn't say that.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I intended no humour in my post. My use of sarcasm was alternative to a more direct approach. For instance I could have said that you are what is colloquially known as a Dumbfùck. This would have negated the need for sarcasm but would be less polite so of course I wouldn't say that.

You're making progress. You have clearly demonstrated that you understand the word colloquially, however if I am being honest it seems as though you forced it into your post to seem, perhaps more intelligent? Just a guess of course. I don't understand your last sentence because as we have already discussed- you did not use sarcasm. Sarcasm does not exist if you literally tell the person you are using it...

Also, my leaving cert results sharply disagreed with your description of my intelligence. But hey, what does TCD Economics & Maths know? I take it Mark Tapley on Boards is a better judge of intelligence- the man who writes "sarcastically" literally into the sarcastic phrase....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I am on the centre right

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

catallus wrote: »
    Isn't a liberal just a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet?

Yep, and a liberal is a conservative who has been arrested!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

I'm pro choice, pro gay rights, pro equality of the sexes.

I think every murderer, rapist and paedophiles should be locked up forever.

I think we should drastically cut the amount of people we give refugee status to, in this country.

I think anyone that's been on the dole for over 10 years, should have it stopped altogether.

I think childrens allowance should be stopped after the second child.

I think the parents of scumbag children should be punished for the sins of their spawn.

I don't know what any of this makes me, I could go on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Generally pretty much a card carrying pinko liberal but age has definitely altered the absolutism of certain views. For example, I still fervently believe that negative environment is to blame for the majority of societal ills but I now believe that a significant minority of people will simply act likes cnuts no matter what their background. A small but significant sea change for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I dunno really. Depends on the topic I suppose.

I find staunchly left wingers far more insufferable and sanctimonious though, as usually any mental right wingers are just middle aged, pure innocent OAP yokes from a different era altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Karl Stein wrote: »
    'Right wing' is a euphemism for 'absolute cunt' as far as I'm concerned.

Leftist's argue and debate their side by defaming the right and making them out to be something they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My view would a mixed, I believe in welfare supports of the FIS type, subsisted child care, short term unemployment benefits,s pensions, good health care and schools provided by the state and so on.

I would support a fairly liberal immigration policy, based on education, skills and assets, as anyone one coming in to the country with a high degree of education/skills/wealth would be an asset to us.

Ireland is run in the tradition of western liberal democracies and that take precedent over cultural sensitivities, so therefore I don't support multiculturalism, I believe in freedom to practice any religion you like in private, but when it come to interactions with the state such as schools and other public institutions religion should play no part.

I would be very liberal on social polices, however I have a very nuanced view on abortion that would take too long to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

fedor.2. wrote: »

I think we should drastically cut the amount of people we give refugee status to, in this country.

I think anyone that's been on the dole for over 10 years, should have it stopped altogether.

I think the parents of scumbag children should be punished for the sins of their spawn.

Are you me?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Bleeding-heart liberal and proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Are you me?:D

We're not asking for too much really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I do love these threads, it's like watching 2 people who completely hate each other but you know they are perfect for each other. They would be lost without their friend who they claim to hate.
    fedor.2. wrote: »

No matter what you'll always never be left or right enough for many people :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'm not even sure what the words mean these days. Conservative originally meant you didn't want things to change. You wanted to conserve society the way it was. That's where the word comes from. So for example in the US the people that opposed the end of race segregation were conservative. They wanted things to remain the same.

Today if someone wants stricter immigration reform for example, they are called conservative, despite being the ones that want the change in society, not the ones wanting to conserve things as they are.

Liberal meant being open to new ideas and to things changing. But if I oppose race segregation people will say I am liberal. If I call for black people to be reslaved and homosexuality to be made illegal, people will call me a conservative despite the fact that I am seeking the change in things.

We need some new words. How about The Wildcats and The Hurricanes. We can list out all the beliefs of each and then you can just say "Oh I'm one of The Wildcats" and we can know you hate different people because they are scary to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm so right-wing nazis back away from me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement