Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberal or Conservative?

Options
  • 27-02-2015 12:27am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How liberal or conservative are you?

I'm pretty liberal on most social issues but rather conservative on issues like multiculturalism, open door immigration, late term abortion and tolerating religious fundamentalism.

So liberal or conservative or a mix of both and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Liberal mostly. Conservative (I think) in regards to immigration, etc. I feel that we should care more about our own people instead of throwing the doors open; Refugees wouldn't be included in that.

I've got zero idea of economics so I have no clue where I stand on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Card carrying PC-Brigade-do-gooder-bleeding-heart-lefty-libtard here.

And damn fucking proud of it, too.

There are some bad people on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Card carrying PC-Brigade-do-gooder-bleeding-heart-lefty-libtard here.

And damn fucking proud of it, too.

There are some bad people on the right.
    There are just as many badies on the left..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

I just does what I does and that changes on whatever the topic, subject, whatever may be. Nae point sticking a label on your own views.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Neither. I'm the benign sort of Right-Wing headcase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    There are just as many badies on the left..

That's exactly what a fascist would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Conservative in my personal life when it comes to tastes and patterns of doing things. Liberal outlook on Economics, politics & taxation. I favour tolerating other cultures not busting unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm a realist.

Right wing on a lot of things I guess, so it's pretty amusing being labelled a leftie liberal crusty by some just because I see through their bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

El Weirdo wrote: »
    That's exactly what a fascist would say.

No, a Fascist would say "Look at these silly, hairy, sandal-wearing Lefties hanging from the lamp-posts. They're all Baddies and you don't want to end up like them, do you? Of course not! Now worship me, ta fcuk!!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I'm an extreme right, crypto fascist based on my support for IW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Hang 'em high & let God sort 'em out.

Serial Doleites, Gaeleoers, & other assorted spongers.

Get them gone!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nazi.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Depends on the topic. Somethimes the left is better, others the right is better.

I find many people who consider themselves liberal or conservative often dont actually have a view on something thats their own, instead they have the opposite of the people they dont like. They go so far in their own directions they meet up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I'm left wing on most things except minor traffic offences for which I'd be happy to see the death sentence reintroduced and carried out on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Jaysus, Wibbs! I saw you were the last poster and was expecting a good read since your posts are usually interesting. Feckin' Nazis ruining everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

I think most people find themselves ignoring the cheap and cheerful early bird menu that offers very limited options and many supplements in favour of the a la carte menu. It allows you to make meaningful choices based on what you believe you'd like to see presented in front of you.

I believe Ireland is one of the finest examples of social democracy in the World. I have issues with some of the largesse that I believe is there in the social welfare system. I don't like people who find themselves genuinely falling on hard times and needing the support of the State being lumped in with those who never had any other intention only to live upon it. Perhaps through conditioning that was no fault of their own. I don't like that. Welfare should never be a viable alternative to work. That may be a reality for people, but that needs to change. That seems to make me a right-wing conservative.

I also think that the opening up of the Irish economy has been hugely positive. We find ourselves in a small, export-orientated and optimistic economy. I'm hugely positive about the next 10 years. And I'll be accused of political bias, but I think much good work in making that happen was done by the current Government. Really.

I'm pro same-sex marriage. Two people who love each other should have that option. I'm also pro-choice. Abortion as a concept really challenges me at a moral level. It's the great philosophical question of our time. I'd always agree with my Dad when he says that it really isn't a question for us men.

We cannot afford a United Ireland. We have a large rump of people in NI who don't want to be part of the Republic. We have a large rump of people who do. It's a difficult one.

I'm Roman. I'm a card-carrying FG member. We come in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Socially usually left, economics usually to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Socially very liberal, economically middle of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I would like if we finally had a reliable definition for liberalism and conservatism.

Your classic, Hobbesian liberal just wants to be let alone.

But your modern, Guardian-reading, taxation-obsessed "liberal", trying to diminish property rights and impose his values on you, may eb better-described as an authoritarian and, at times, a conservative.

I have no idea why these people are called 'liberal', frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Socially liberal on some social aspects, more conservative on others

I'm pro-gay marriage and I think abortion should be legal in Ireland up until viability

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You will find most people even a hard core democrat in the US. Will call themselves socially liberal, fiscally conservative. They agree with abortions, same sex marriage. But believe the US should be wise with its money eg strict welfare programs. I would follow that logic

Jaysus, Wibbs! I saw you were the last poster and was expecting a good read since your posts are usually interesting. Feckin' Nazis ruining everything.

No they don't!

Hitler. Not just there for the Nazi things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

conorh91 wrote: »
    I would like if we finally had a reliable definition for liberalism and conservatism.

Your classic, Hobbesian liberal just wants to be let alone.

But your modern, Guardian-reading, taxation-obsessed "liberal", trying to diminish property rights and impose his values on you, may eb better-described as an authoritarian and, at times, a conservative.

I have no idea why these people are called 'liberal', frankly.

I'd also like if certain people stopped being obsessed with being just in one camp and lumping any undesirable into the other camp regardless of the undesirables viewpoints.

Demonique wrote: »
    Socially liberal on some social aspects, more conservative on others

I'm pro-gay marriage and I think abortion should be legal in Ireland up until

viability

Yeah. I'm okay there, but what about gay couples having kids?

Personally I wouldn't be in favour of it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He's a good Nazi, a modern day Albert Speer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yeah. I'm okay there, but what about gay couples having kids?

Personally I wouldn't be in favour of it myself.

(That's being introduced in march, and the referendum will have nothing to do with it.)

Nodin wrote: »
    (That's being introduced in march, and the referendum will have nothing to do with it.)

And.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And.........

And theres no point in bringing gay couples adopting in relation to gay couples marrying. Besides, Gay single people can already adopt as is.

Nodin wrote: »
    And theres no point in bringing gay couples adopting in relation to gay couples marrying. Besides, Gay single people can already adopt as is.

Grand So. The Lord Protector of liberal social values & all that should be so has spoken.

I only expressed my opinion.

I know my place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

In the past I probably would have called myself a liberal without a moments hesitation.

Nowadays, I try to stick to the middle of the road, because wholly committing yourself to one side of the Political Spectrum will ultimately transform you into some kind of dogmatic ideologue (and basically a bore at parties). Case in point being the modern Feminist movement and all it's stupid SJW baggage.

I honestly thought I was progressive before I discovered this burgeoning movement. Oh, how wrong I was. Turns out I'm the most terrible oppressor on the planet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement