Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock N' Roll Half Marathon 2015

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Anyone else using a Garmin in the half that showed a longer distance than 21.1km? or maybe I need a new Garmin :-D

My Garmin was showing 13.2x miles.
    I put this down to not taking the optimum path around corners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 therighthook

Mine was showing 13.4!! Should really start cutting those corners lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Anyone else using a Garmin in the half that showed a longer distance than 21.1km? or maybe I need a new Garmin :-D
    Consumer-level GPS is not accurate enough to measure a course

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I get that but it was never that far off! I will put it down to Garmin error - was just wondering if anyone else was off as most people use them as part of their routine - wouldn't be the first time a course was measured incorrectly! Will still take my time as it was an improvement on previous attempts - now for the 10mile on the 22nd :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Mine was 13.3. I'm putting it down to not running be tangents. Something to practice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

wouldn't be the first time a course was measured incorrectly!)
    So because a floating satalite 3000 miles or so up in space fails to measure an exact distance on a watch on your wrist ur first thought is to blame the course measurers of the national championships..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ultraman1 wrote: »
    So because a floating satalite 3000 miles or so up in space fails to measure an exact distance on a watch on your wrist ur first thought is to blame the course measurers of the national championships..

But was it a dub or a lad from the country measuring the course, miles are longer in the country:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

But was it a dub or a lad from the country measuring the course, miles are longer in the country:D

They are only longer on foot, on a bicycle a mile in the country is actually shorter. Course measured 13.21 on my garmin. Typically a half will measure 13.14 to 13.3 if it has been officially measured. Interestingly the 5000 meter race at the national masters championships also measured long, I am drawing up a strongly worded letter to the organisers to complain.

ultraman1 wrote: »

oh relax! it is only a bit of banter, what I am running at has zero influence on the bloody results! All in all, it was a great experience for first time run in this event :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Course measured 13.21 on my garmin. Typically a half will measure 13.14 to 13.3 if it has been officially measured.
    Not being pedantic,but id say it was officially measured:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Great event. Think my favourite of the year so far.

So well organised. Loved all the water/fuel stations.

Great atmosphere, loved the course, a must for next year - to anyone on the fence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Pink11 wrote: »

Great atmosphere, loved the course, a must for next year - to anyone on the fence!

As a grizzled old cynic of a club runner, I can say that yes, it's a great course - if you're a fecking tourist who runs with a camera. For a runner who would like a decent time, it's awful. Yes, it's well-organised, but it's held first thing in the morning, so the crowds are non-existent. Having bands playing along the route is a pathetic gimmick, and in fact the whole R&R concept is a joke, imo. But each to his/her own.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

8:30am start is a bit of a pain, buses don't start on a Sunday until 9am, making everyone come to the expo is over the top as well, would be particularly bad if you are not from Dublin, even if you are it makes it tough.

I remember the first year they held it, we were at the start in town and there was this tiny space that we were all trying to warm up in, and then this American asshole started bellowing at us to get into our pen for the start. That coloured my attitude to this event straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Pink11 wrote: »

It's amazing how opinions differ. The race was well organised but why would it not be ? There was a very poor atmosphere with very little crowd support, especially compared to DCM. The course is awfull. It's not just that it's a tough course, every course doesn't need to be pancake flat but it's pieced together. The mile section on the cycle path in the park is terrible and must be a right pain in the middle of the pack where it's really crowded. The park is a lovely place to run but this race picks the worst possible route trough it. When the race is over its just a mill with everybody going in different directions and almost impossible to find or meet people. Because of the early start we stayed in the gibson meaning we had to make our way back across the city to shower then back again to catch our train, point to point courses are an awfull inconsiderate idea with an 8.30 start it's a worse idea. There is no way in hell I would run this race if it wasn't a national championships. But, each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Interestingly the 5000 meter race at the national masters championships also measured long, I am drawing up a strongly worded letter to the organisers to complain.
    It was long. Very, very long.

Congrats on your second national silver medal by the way. Great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I really enjoyed it - it was my first half marathon so cant compare it against DCM but I enjoyed the bands and the general atmosphere

niallo32 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it - it was my first half marathon so cant compare it against DCM but I enjoyed the bands and the general atmosphere

DCM will blow you away then.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Cheers, can't wait now

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Ah sorry I didn't mean to imply it was better than DCM. I haven't done the half or full DC version yet but great to hear so many of you think it's even better!

I just thought it was a fun event for me personally. It was something different and I appreciated it for what it is. I enjoyed the novelty and the course is not one I normally run so I enjoyed having a new route.

I live in Dublin so of course it was really easy for me - and the free shuttle bus service was very handy and efficient. I can totally see how it would be pain for others though. But if anyone is reading this and has the option next year, I'd definitely say add it to your list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Anyone got a promo code for Marathonfoto for this event? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

This was my second Dublin RnR half marathon (and the second time I've run it one week after the San Francisco Marathon). It was fantastic event, well organized, and tough enough for a seasoned runner and newbie alike. Fantastic to see so many international competitors too. I've done DCM too and the RnR will stand you in good stead for it.

Advertisement