Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday 21st Feb

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

Confirmed Mossey Joe has been retired. I heard a while back that he just isn't in love with the game any more and correct decision by connections.

Absolute shame that he never really achieved what he should have in terms of his ability. He had an absolutely monstrous engine but was unfortunately plagued with a few things throughout his career and in a different life I think he would have multiple Graded races to his name.

Hopefully he has a happy, well deserved retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

still don't understand how Barry Connell spent £160k on him at 11yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

still don't understand how Barry Connell spent £160k on him at 11yo.

Think the plan was win Foxhunters then Grand National. But, obviously, whoever Connells agent is should be shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

That was a much improved effort from Sire De Grugy. I don't think he deserves any of the negative comments being thrown at him.

It's a wide open Champion Chase and I'm finding it hard to feel confident about making any kind of prediction about the race !

We shall see but that looked the Sire De Grugy of last year today which would give him every chance in this year's race.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

I think we should all be happy with SDG's run today. Makes the Champion Chase a better spectacle to see as a racing fan not just for punting purposes.

And if you're not a SDG fan maybe Sprinter might drift to 4/1 on the day and you'll get a chance to fill the wheelbarrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Mr mole gave him two pounds...

I don't think it's particularly good, but it justifies his mark of 152- therefore SDG winning by 7 lengths plus 20 pounds has SDG on mod 170s imo. That suggests to me he'll be hard to beat.
    Plenty of places are shorter. Not backing though.

I know it was two pounds but he did it a lot easier.

Its probably clear I am not a fan (ahem), barring luck I still dont think he will place in the Champion, I can see SS, DB and MM finishing ahead of him.

170 is probably about right, MM and DB are improving and SS is entitled to improve at the very least 5lbs.

If I was intending to back SDG I would be concerned about him having to run yesterday. Moore would have had him spot on for the Clarence House and planned to let him down before getting him right for March. Having run yesterday he may not have enough time to do that and could have him over the top on the day.

After all I have posted about him he better not win in a no excuses manner!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

I think to be fair to Gary Moore he was quite apprehensive before his last race. The quote "was fit enough to do himself justice" .... it was probably a good idea getting a run into him again and it looks to have worked out quite well.

People also need to remember how this race will be run. There are a lot of horses in with a shout but they're not all going to get to the second last in contention and they are not all going to run to their best rating or even best rating this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Shemale wrote: »
    You were conspicuous by your absence when I called him a pig BEFORE the race, nice of you to pitch in with your thoughts AFTER the "top top performance".

I read your remark, rolled my eyes, and moved on with my life.
    Shemale wrote:
    Oink oink lads, ever heard of a bit of trolling.

I apologize to you as i thought you were serious about the "pig" remark. So you're really just a regular auld funny guy. I'm in stitches. :rolleyes:
    Shemale wrote:
    I am on record saying I don't fancy him for the Champion before he saw a course

On record? This board is a bunch of guys (mostly anonymous) who love to talk racing and sometimes have a bit of banter. Most of what is posted has been forgotten (by me anyway) in a few days. Nobody is keeping records. You clearly have a different agenda and want to be remembered. GL with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

To be honest I didn't think SDG had a notion of winning the Qm a couple of weeks ago, and his return run just reinforced that belief. After yesterdays race though I have to admit he is in with a great shout. Regardless of opposition not firing he seemed to do it on similar style to his wins past year. He has to be up there near the top of the market, saying he wont even place Is certainly going out on a limb and a brave call but its not based on anything but a strange bias against a decent horse. Should he win it two years running, fitness problems et all I would have to rank him as one of the best 2m chasers of the last decade.

Saying that I wouldn't bet on him at that price, and Dodging Bullets is still the form pick in my opinion. I was all for ploughing into Sprinter Sacre a few months back but the fact that Hendersons stable star is still an easy 3-1 chance is surely an ominous sign, id be worried if I was on him in a big way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

SDG was impressive yesterday and is a fair price now around 4/1, when you ignore Boyles price. Still happy with my Sprinter Sacre bet and, most importantly, the vibes from Geraghty are good. Champagne Fever obviously has to be respected on Cheltenham form but as I've said before, his overall chase record makes his price prohibitive IMO.

The one horse who I honestly wouldn't back at double his current price.is Dodging Bullets. His form so far this season is irrelevant IMO. He's been in this position before and anyone backing him needs to consider that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Shemale wrote: »
    I know it was two pounds but he did it a lot easier.

Its probably clear I am not a fan (ahem), barring luck I still dont think he will place in the Champion, I can see SS, DB and MM finishing ahead of him.

170 is probably about right, MM and DB are improving and SS is entitled to improve at the very least 5lbs.

If I was intending to back SDG I would be concerned about him having to run yesterday. Moore would have had him spot on for the Clarence House and planned to let him down before getting him right for March. Having run yesterday he may not have enough time to do that and could have him over the top on the day.

After all I have posted about him he better not win in a no excuses manner!!

Even Grey Golds 24 length defeat(off levels) with DB has SDG 3 lbs ahead of the latter. I'd also image GG wasn't given a hard time when he was out of it either.
    He's not a horse that needs a break or runs well fresher etc.. so his run on Saturday wouldn't offer me any concern whatsoever.

Anyway you've set your stall out, without saying anything that would have me question my opinion, but I'd imagine you'd say the same about my opinion so we'll have to leave it at that.
    If SS improves the required amount, then we are looking at two really excellent training performances from Moore and Henderson regardless of anyones opinion.
    CC will be a great race anyway, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

If SS improves the required amount, then we are looking at two really excellent training performances from Moore and Henderson regardless of anyones opinion.
    CC will be a great race anyway, that's for sure.

If all the principles reproduce their form so far this year there could be five going over the last together, the big question is how much will Sprinter come on for his only run this season, if it's 7lbs (which I feel is very likely) I can't see anything finishing ahead of him.

Good luck whoever you go with.

Advertisement