Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Karl8415 wrote: »
    Just wondering if the 321 LR went to Europe this morning once it came off T/A, curious to see if EI are starting it’s full utilization immediately

Not until November.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Karl8415

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not until November.

Thank you for that Jamie

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Saw this on Instagram.

Has anyone any idea of what the fuel burn per hour is on the new LR versus the older 321’s in the fleet,I’m just curious to see the improvement that have been made in fuel saving for LRA to CPH, 20 years apart from each other

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Saw this on Instagram.

That’s fantastic Kevin, looking at the stage that it’s currently in you could only assume that it’s approximately 6-8 weeks away from delivery, that is if EI take delivery of it straight away upon completion unless the do similar to GCF and park it up temporarily until leases on other frames expire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Just wondering if the 321 LR went to Europe this morning once it came off T/A, curious to see if EI are starting it’s full utilization immediately

Looking at flights online today and see it's down to operate some dates for the EI156/EI157 rotation to and from LHR at the start of October.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Looking at flights online today and see it's down to operate some dates for the EI156/EI157 rotation to and from LHR at the start of October.

The 757 was always operated by a sub fleet of cabin crew who were exclusively trained on the 757, they were apparently the first of the crew along with pilots to be cross trained over to the neolr.
    I’m guessing that going forward all crew will be trained onto the new 321s along with the current short haul fleet but this training won’t take place until the summer schedule is wound down a bit and therefore the pool of crew wouldn’t be large enough right now to roll it out onto daily euro and TA sectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

^ Some of the pointy enders are typing up to A33x.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

Don't think this has been posted yet
    https://youtu.be/CxWIb-CCD4c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

mwrf wrote: »
    Anyone know why this video hasn't been publicly released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    mwrf wrote: »
    Anyone know why this video hasn't been publicly released?

That’s what I’ve been wondering, clearly a lot of effort has gone into it. There was also a time lapse style video of the first aircraft being constructed, it appeared on another video hosting site by the filmmaker but has since been taken down or made private.

Airbus usually release a video commemorating the first delivery as well but this hasn’t happened either.

Nothing on Aer Lingus’ media centre either. Big missed opportunity as pretty much all the relevant aviation sites have done their own coverage without the help of any Aer Lingus material.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Locker10a wrote: »
    The 757 was always operated by a sub fleet of cabin crew who were exclusively trained on the 757

Not true. All 757 cabin crew also operated on 320 family aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

I find it very strange Aer Lingus are not promoting the F out of the A321LR

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Has anyone any idea of what the fuel burn per hour is on the new LR versus the older 321’s in the fleet,I’m just curious to see the improvement that have been made in fuel saving for LRA to CPH, 20 years apart from each other

Official Airbus figure is 2200kg per hour at mach 0.75, 2400kg at .80.
    I think they claim its a 20% reduction in fuel burn

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sandbelter

It is possible that we are looking at no new EI transatlantic routes in 2020?

"The IAG chief executive again outlined general plans to hugely expand transatlantic routes out of Dublin in the coming years, but said it has no immediate plans to announce new routes"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/iag-boss-willie-walsh-cork-airport-will-not-go-out-of-business-if-charges-are-cut-941561.html

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

sandbelter wrote: »
    It is possible that we are looking at no new EI transatlantic routes in 2020?

"The IAG chief executive again outlined general plans to hugely expand transatlantic routes out of Dublin in the coming years, but said it has no immediate plans to announce new routes"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/iag-boss-willie-walsh-cork-airport-will-not-go-out-of-business-if-charges-are-cut-941561.html

Well they have another 7 LRs and 2 HGW 330s joining in the next 12 months, 4 757s leaving....so even if LAX & EWR leave with the 757s, that's 3 extra narrowbodies that need routes.

Im thinking that increased frequency and the eventual start if DUB-YUL is all the expansion to expect for 2020.

One of the plans I heard was triple daily Newark on 321.

It would be good to have a few routes with a better spread of departure times. Like early am, lunchtime and post 6pm towards 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

One of the plans I heard was triple daily Newark on 321.

It would be good to have a few routes with a better spread of departure times. Like early am, lunchtime and post 6pm towards 9.

Going from 1 to 3 would be a big leap, even on smaller aircraft. That would be 5 or 6 flights a day to the NY area.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Going from 1 to 3 would be a big leap, even on smaller aircraft. That would be 5 or 6 flights a day to the NY area.

x3 daily on a A321 would be less capacity than x2 daily A333.

I do think they might struggle to obtain the slots at EWR for x3 daily.

________

I do believe new routes are planned for 2020 unless something has changed recently.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    x3 daily on a A321 would be less capacity than x2 daily A333.

Agreed but i would imagine EI would test the water for demand and go with A330 and A321neo initially or 2x A321 rather than 3x.

EWR is currently daily A330 (circa 275-315 seats),
    Going 2x A321 brings capacity up to 360, but more importantly having 2 departures makes them more attractive to connections. It opens up a lot more opportunities for punters to use their service for travel.

I can definitely see that happening as EWR is such a big onward hub. (My 2 mates in the US are United members so mostly com home via EWR)
    Adding an early JFK rotation offers additional frequency for business travelers.
    So that would be 5 NYC services per day. They could even stagger the departures from Dublin so there is a DUB-NYC flight every 2-3 hours.
    EG. 8am JFK, 11am JFK, 1pm EWR, 3pm JFK, 5pm EWR.

A321LR to LHR advanced to 1 October instead of 1 November.

Tenger wrote: »
    EWR is currently daily A330 (circa 275-315 seats),
    Going 2x A321 brings capacity up to 360, but more importantly having 2 departures makes them more attractive to connections. It opens up a lot more opportunities for punters to use their service for travel.

I can definitely see that happening as EWR is such a big onward hub. (My 2 mates in the US are United members so mostly com home via EWR)
    Adding an early JFK rotation offers additional frequency for business travelers.
    So that would be 5 NYC services per day. They could even stagger the departures from Dublin so there is a DUB-NYC flight every 2-3 hours.
    EG. 8am JFK, 11am JFK, 1pm EWR, 3pm JFK, 5pm EWR.

Guess it depends on UA future relationship though apparently EWR is doing really well point to point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 GFrye

Phil.x wrote: »
    Im sorry to sound negative but I'd go out of my way to avoid flying on this type of aircraft for that type of journey.
    I'm flying DUB-IAD in December. Given a choice between flying in a "throne seat" on a 321NEO or risking ending up on EI-GEY, I'll take the 321NEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI-CVA was attacked by the jet bridge at CDG last night. 529 cancelled and passengers bused to hotel.

Unclear if the aircraft is damaged or crew timed out before engineers could inspect.

CityJet seem to operate a rotation to CDG later in the year too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    CityJet seem to operate a rotation to CDG later in the year too.

Operating for EI?

Locker10a wrote: »
    Operating for EI?

Sorry - yes, one rotation, the last flight. Can’t seem to find it now on mobile but thought it was in December when I saw it.

• Advertisement

GFrye wrote: »
    I'm flying DUB-IAD in December. Given a choice between flying in a "throne seat" on a 321NEO or risking ending up on EI-GEY, I'll take the 321NEO.
    I was reading the SamChui blog yesterday, it says A321LR will be doing IAD from 29th Oct.
    DUB-PHL from Nov 1st, SNN-BOS from Jan 6th, DUB-EWR Feb 13th-Mar 10th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement