Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Is it unreasonable to think that one of the 3 economy cabin crew could help during meal service in J? Y food service is not going to begin immediately, whereas with J the meal being served as soon as possible after takeoff is generally seen as a good thing. Once the mains for J are plated up they could return to Y where the first drink service will probably be in progress and one crew member could easily handle plating dessert for 16 and remaining drinks/service items.

It doesn't work like that though. In J they go out with a bar first followed by starters which are then collected and then the main meal is plated etc. If you take one from Y you only have 2 for 164 in economy which doesn't work either. There will have to be some change somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Dose anyone think aerlingus will order any A330neo at Paris airshow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

liiga wrote: »

Doubt it, EI seem to order the A333 piecemeal in agreement with IAG. Can’t see a big order coming, although as discussed earlier would love to see them order a new SH type to allow growth but that’s probably less likely.

I'm flying with AerLingus from Shannon to Boston on an ASL flight
    Does anyone know what the audio connection is like?

I know when I flew to LA last year, the plane had a 2 pin connector, but that wasn't one of the ASL planes.
    Someone told me that he thinks the ASL planes have the 3.5mm single jack. I have my own headphones I want to use, but I dont want to buy a 2 pin connector unless necessary

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only likely to be a year or two more where you can order 333s I'd think - backlog isn't huge and its the 332 that the Freighter and Military variants are built on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

rivegauche wrote: »
    This would be nice to have.

A321XLR-infografic.jpg?wid=991&fit=fit,1&qlt=85,0

I wonder what the opportunity cost of the cargo space lost to the extra tanks is?

I'm flying with AerLingus from Shannon to Boston on an ASL flight
    Does anyone know what the audio connection is like?

I know when I flew to LA last year, the plane had a 2 pin connector, but that wasn't one of the ASL planes.
    Someone told me that he thinks the ASL planes have the 3.5mm single jack. I have my own headphones I want to use, but I dont want to buy a 2 pin connector unless necessary

Thanks

Single jack that goes directly into the PTV.

cson wrote: »
    Single jack that goes directly into the PTV.

Great, thank you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

liiga wrote: »
    No.

EI already have 2 A333 due for delivery within the next 8 months. (I think these will be among that last handful of ceo's built)
    I suspect that we may see an additional order for XLRs before we see A330neo's.
    They have 8 A321LRs on order, with delivery of 8 planned within next 12 months.
    I suspect another half dozen or so XLRs would provide a nice (for the accontants) 'filler' to serve other airports at the 8-9 hour flight time.

However I dont doubt that the A330neo will join the fleet as a replacement for the older A330s in about 3-4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭sherology

cson wrote: »
    I wonder what the opportunity cost of the cargo space lost to the extra tanks is?

The XLR has a new built-in rear center tank RCT (that weights the same as 1 ACT) and takes up less space than the ACTs in the LR... So it actually has more belly space than an LR. The LR in comparison is a band-aid version of the XLR... And sales will likely stop now that the XLR exists. Benefits of the LR is that you can take out the removable ACTs and you have an a321neo.

The new Integrated RCT of the XLR holds a little more fuel than the 3 ACTs of the LR... can't be removed, and the XLR also needs an ACT in the front hold to go the whole 4700nm.

So... The XLR is kind of an LR+ (or a 'solid/hard' LR) but with the fuel tank deigned and integrated into the frame. Looks like it'll fly 4200nm without the ACT, and 4700 with it... If needed. 4-tonne increase in MTOW to hold the extra fuel.

F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The Aer Lingus business plan has their long haul fleet requirements covered to 2023, this includes the recent proposal by Aer Lingus management to IAG for additional A321LR (XLR) aircraft bringing that fleet up to 14 frames. We could possibly hear more about that this week.

As for future wide body aircraft, most of the A332 fleet will be in need of replacement as they’ll be 15-20 years old by the mid 2020s while the A333s will be on average much younger with the majority being newer models ranging from just 2-6 years old. A wide body replacement could then realistically be expected around 2023 onwards, looking that far ahead could mean all options are back on the table, the A330neo remaining most likely.

Aer Lingus + IAG could of course want to move things a long much quicker so orders from lessors could come much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

A332 fleet will be in need of replacement as they’ll be 15-20 years old

Do these things not last closer to 25 years old given they do 2 flights a day for most of their lives ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Do these things not last closer to 25 years old given they do 2 flights a day for most of their lives ?

Yeah they should do! Look at the BA 747 and 777, they plough long haul routes for a full generation before being replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

If the XLR range figures are based on the same assumptions as those for the LR then I would take them with a grain of salt. Purely marketing hype and bear no resemblance to actual ground/flight conditions likely to be experienced throughout the course of a year. Its real best case scenario stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The EI fleet is one of the most intensely used A330 fleets, EI wedge in a trip to Malaga and Faro during Summer season. JFK/BOS-DUB-Malaga/Faro-DUB-JFK/BOS.

The early A330 fleet suffered thanks to the Shannon stop over adding cycles, they are all gone now and EI-LAX is from 1999 is still plodding along

Yes they generally only operate "2 flights a day for most of their lives"..... but EI aim to have a fleet utilisation of 20 hours per 24 hour period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

T EI wedge in a trip to Malaga and Faro during Summer season

Not on the 200's though

The EI fleet is one of the most intensely used A330 fleets, EI wedge in a trip to Malaga and Faro during Summer season

JFK/BOS-DUB-Malaga/Faro-DUB-JFK/BOS.

The early A330 fleet suffered thank to the Shannon stop over adding cycles, they are all gone now and EI-LAX is from 1999 is still plodding along

Only one A330-300 goes to Malaga a day and one to Faro on a Saturday. The rest are on the ground during that time

,p
    Shamrockj wrote: »
    Only one A330-300 goes to Malaga a day and one to Faro on a Saturday. The rest are on the ground during that time
    For about 3-4 hours each. EI previously stated proudly about their intense utilization of their wide bodies. The distance between Ireland and the US permits return journeys to most location within a 24 hour period, unlike many other route networks.

The 0500 arrivals generally leave again Pre 1200. (Apart from the aforementioned AGP and FAO) The post 0900 arrivals go back out around 12-1pm. The post 1100 arrivals go out as the 4pm wave.
    I’m guessing they have 1 A330 per day going into the hanger for weekly checks?
    (about 2 years ago I used flight radar to follow the EI A330s over the course of a week or so and this was the pattern I found)

It’s not like LAX or SFO were you see Asia/Pacific aircraft sitting on a remote stand for 6-10 hours per day. This is also a function of time zones.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

"New routes beyond the US East Coast & Canada" is interesting verbiage. Does it suggest something more than just US Midwest/West expansion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=DUB&R=4250nm%40DUB%0D%0A&MS=wls&DU=mi

Assuming real world range of 4,250nm from DUB, we get the above map.

Not sure on what possible long and thin routes this might add, YVR, LOS, DEL perhaps?

Carribean bucket and spade seasonal would be the only thing that jumps out.

Its the perfect aircraft for EI and their location. YYC, DEN , IAH, CUN, FLL and YVR come to mind. Amazing how many destinations this will open up compared to having only A330 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

MIA is obvious. It’ll allow an increase from the current 2 weekly offering on the 330

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

MIA is obvious. It’ll allow an increase from the current 2 weekly offering on the 330

Not to mention it'll be a codeshare with AA once the JV is approved, you'll start to see excellent South American connections through EI/AA. Wouldn't be surprised to see EI do their own DFW flight with an XLR in addition to American's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tanya1987

Not to mention it'll be a codeshare with AA once the JV is approved, you'll start to see excellent South American connections through EI/AA. Wouldn't be surprised to see EI do their own DFW flight with an XLR in addition to American's too.

Unless the flight times are changed, with the timing when EI lands in Miami there are no connections to South America and few to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tanya1987

Zonda999 wrote: »
    http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=DUB&R=4250nm%40DUB%0D%0A&MS=wls&DU=mi

Assuming real world range of 4,250nm from DUB, we get the above map.

Not sure on what possible long and thin routes this might add, YVR, LOS, DEL perhaps?

Aer Lingus and IAG were very clear on having no interest in the Asian Market for EI. The Focus is to be a leading carrier between Ireland and North America with a profitable short haul network in Europe. So definitely we won’t see LOS, DEL or DXB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

according to that map vegas is right on the threshold?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement