Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

EICVD wrote: »
    Other half flew to YYZ on Wednesday, told me before they departed half the plane would be without IFE, figured it was EWR & low & behold it was. Looks like both airlines in the YYZ use their unreliable 330s on the route.

Lax isn’t great either. Went tech in Seattle last week and I heard was the cause of the delay from Lax (airport) recently.
    Jack1985 wrote: »
    Crew are required to take breaks after the meal service, legally. EASA also makes it clear if local agreements supersede EASA minimum requirements, they supersede the minimum which is the case at EI, so expect to see a lot of canned last services as crew will ensure they get their agreed break entitlements.

Quite right too. It’ll probably fall on the shoulders of the senior to see breaks are taken in an orderly fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Anybody know what the disembarkation is like in Toulouse? Airbridge/Stairs/Bus to terminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a few people back from Faro to dublin with aer lingus saying they were using their transatlantic planes with a 2 4 2 seat arrangement? i thought they would be using A320 /1 ?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A330 does Malaga and Faro at peak season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

silverharp wrote: »
    a few people back from Faro to dublin with aer lingus saying they were using their transatlantic planes with a 2 4 2 seat arrangement? i thought they would be using A320 /1 ?

I was on the 321 the other day back from Faro, nice plane, EI-CPH.

Funnily enough it was hit with the air stairs and we had to wait for an engineer to give the okay.

I've seen the 330 there a couple of times though. Seems to do it every now and again at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 EIMH

They use A333 for early flight on Saturdays during peak summer season to Faro

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cheers! we are going out tomorrow but it looks like we have it for the way back. people were just saying it was more comfortable than "ryanair"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

Three weeks ago in Toulouse it was air stairs. Easy enough airport to navigate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

cheers! we are going out tomorrow but it looks like we have it for the way back. people were just saying it was more comfortable than "ryanair"

You can pay to sit in the business class cabin and it’ll definitely be more comfortable than Ryanair. Think it’s about €90 for the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I'm sure it's still work in progress but short haul is looking terrible for winter. Not sure how much more they can slim it down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's still work in progress but short haul is looking terrible for winter. Not sure how much more they can slim it down.

How do you mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Second A321LR, EI-LRB, has been spotted in Hamburg apparently in full colours. No photos yet. 

https://digitalairliners.com/category/xfw-spotter-log/

Not familiar with the layout at the Airbus Hamburg plant but I believe the riverside store is a temporary storage area after the paint shop. 
    I'm sure it's still work in progress but short haul is looking terrible for winter.  Not sure how much more they can slim it down.

Route cuts, frequency reductions? I've said it for a long time that short haul was stagnant and at risk of shrinking without major changes. Just look at this summer, growth has been modest at best with nothing new added to the network and the airline is finding its marketshare being pinched at the higher end by Lufthansa, Swiss etc and at the lower end by Ryanair. 

Aer Lingus must be one of the only airlines in Europe that can say their short haul route network is physically smaller now than it was five years ago. Yes they've increased frequency to "popular" holiday and business destinations but the list of route cuts is long; CPG, HEL, WAW, KRK, ARN, OPT, SVQ, IBZ, AGA, STR, HAJ, etc. Some of those failures should be ringing alarm bells at Shamrock House. The cost base is obviously still too high, the aircraft are too big for new markets and the single fleet type isn't flexible enough to compete. 

A new fleet means securing investment from IAG, which requires a business plan, which requires a profitable business to start from in the first place. I think that's why Aer Lingus has been so tight on short haul, they're trying to shrink it into profitability but finding themselves squeezed more and more every year which only ever ends one way. Short haul may well be profitable overall but if you're not growing in a good economy and when fuel is still low, you may as well be loss making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

When you see the SH growth at Dublin it’s all the more alarming that EI haven’t taken their share. They have done so well on LH as a hub, and show plenty of ambition on expanding the LH side, but they need feed to make those profitable so I’m surprised at the lack of SH ambition. The Stobart deal 5/6? Years ago was a good start but I would have expected them to have taken it up a notch with possibly a E170/190 order to start new thinner routes.

I doubt it but I wonder did they really believe the Ryanair agreement would cover their SH needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tanya1987

That is absolutely true and worrying.
    I thought with the Aer Space introduction, a little bit of change/enhancement was coming for the Short Haul operations, specially to face competition against Lufthansa, Air France, TAP, KLM, Iberia etc but looking at the new winter schedule it looks really bad. Rome for example down to one daily, I can’t remember that happening before. Even Munich is loosing the late flight during some days of the week

Will this mean a lot of staff let go during the winter?

Will it possibly mean a loss of trained staff to other airlines?

Every seat on AL is more comfortable than Ry. Though I wish they would restrict the incline a bit. Maybe on the new 321’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

tanya1987 wrote: »
    That is absolutely true and worrying.
    I thought with the Aer Space introduction, a little bit of change/enhancement was coming for the Short Haul operations, specially to face competition against Lufthansa, Air France, TAP, KLM, Iberia etc but looking at the new winter schedule it looks really bad. Rome for example down to one daily, I can’t remember that happening before. Even Munich is loosing the late flight during some days of the week

The late Munich is still there 5 out of 7 days a week
    Rome is not down to once a day the late Rome is still there 3 out of 7 days a week
    The winter schedule is ALWAYS going to be reduced it's the nature of a seasonal business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

If you're talking about the reduced frequencies, i am sure they are not without reason. No one is more aware of what brings the passengers and what doesn't than aer lingus themselves.

I'll never forget 2 years ago, around Feb 20th i flew MAD-DUB. There were literally about 15-20 of us on the aircraft for the evening flight home. On an A320 it looked like there was no one on it at all, never seen anything like it before and i don't think any of us could quite believe it.

So considering these things it is understandable that they'd cut frequencies or routes altogether, if they were running flights aimlessly and continually at empty there'd be even more complaints and it'd be like Alitalia, except aer lingus are no longer government owned.

1123heavy wrote: »
    If you're talking about the reduced frequencies, i am sure they are not without reason. No one is more aware of what brings the passengers and what doesn't than aer lingus themselves.

I'll never forget 2 years ago, around Feb 20th i flew MAD-DUB. There were literally about 15-20 of us on the aircraft for the evening flight home. On an A320 it looked like there was no one on it at all, never seen anything like it before and i don't think any of us could quite believe it.

So considering these things it is understandable that they'd cut frequencies or routes altogether, if they were running flights aimlessly and continually at empty there'd be even more complaints and it'd be like Alitalia, except aer lingus are no longer government owned.

You are missing his point here. It’s not about a decline in passenger numbers. It’s the fact that airlines like Lufthansa are increasing the frequency on the same routes and even adding widebodies (a340) on one of 5 daily, meanwhile aer lingus is loosing market. Or the same could be said on the AMS flight, with only 2/3 daily on sat meanwhile KLM increased their DUB route etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭sherology

You are missing his point here. It’s not about a decline in passenger numbers. It’s the fact that airlines like Lufthansa are increasing the frequency on the same routes and even adding widebodies (a340) on one of 5 daily, meanwhile aer lingus is loosing market. Or the same could be said on the AMS flight, with only 2/3 daily on sat meanwhile KLM increased their DUB route etc etc

But a lot of LH traffic is connection - and that is increasing as the economy is boomong, same for KLM etc. Iberia and TAP take you to South America and are known airlines to South Americans, or are taking you to smaller cities in their network. EI steals their passengers on transatlantic... So it is what it is... They're gonna fight back.

EI needs to either codeshare better with the EU majors (taking back the routes on their behalf), or downsize to a220s for their SH fleet beyond a321lrs/xlrs and maybe some a321s for trunk all-year routes.

The a220s are transatlantic capable (from Ireland anyways) so could provide some backup when things go wrong (just to recover the schedule and not cancel).

Interlining with FR is a good idea as they have the cost base to keep routes rolling through low season.

You can't fly planes empty or cheap-leisure .

Also, the inability to book a non-direct EI flight to anywhere but the US via the EI website is nuts. Great website but only diect EI flights to EU can be booked. In 2019 it's a very visible flaw in EI business. You MUST use the other airlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I hate to burst the doom and gloom bubble but EI made nearly 400m last year with the same seasonality that it has encountered for the last 80 years. Cutting frequencies on low yielding flights whilst adding high yielding J, Y and possibly cargo to the A321LR will more than make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a lot of air being carried around off season, there are crew shortages, hours issues etc so it makes sense to cut back.

While I love the fact there were 14 flights a week to DUS, when there are 50-70 onboard on the morning Sunday 692 you cannot sustain it.

I think we are going back to the old way, nothing on Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I think gradual and sustainable short haul expansion will happen, the 321LRs will be deployed in select euro routes, that leaves room for expansion, it’s also likely there’ll be more regional jets flying the shamrock, Cityjet currently do LCY and also some BHX, if this continues into other routes you’ll see increased frequency, and maybe the ATRs deployed elsewhere and maybe even a320s freed up for other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Locker10a wrote: »
    How do you mean ?

Appears a website issue, things not as bad as previously looked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Locker10a wrote: »
    I think gradual and sustainable short haul expansion will happen, the 321LRs will be deployed in select euro routes, that leaves room for expansion, it’s also likely there’ll be more regional jets flying the shamrock, Cityjet currently do LCY and also some BHX, if this continues into other routes you’ll see increased frequency, and maybe the ATRs deployed elsewhere and maybe even a320s freed up for other routes.

Every A320 and B737 to/from BHX is near full morning afternoon and night - 8 flights a day or so, I don't know why they are operating Cityjets or indeed Stobarts on it.

What was a winter arrival to Dublin at 2100 is now 2245 and usually after 11pm or midnight with Cityjet. Stobart was two hours late last night. I avoid that flight now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

dfx- wrote: »
    Every A320 and B737 to/from BHX is near full morning afternoon and night - 8 flights a day or so, I don't know why they are operating Cityjets or indeed Stobarts on it.

They can probably make more money sending the 320 on a longer mission and leaving the UK regionals to WX/STK.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Kcormahs wrote: »
    I remember Aer Lingus on the a319 it only had 3 cc.
    The 757 works with 4. The company will try to push for 4 as they would be in a good cost advantage against other airlines like TAP who have 5 cc on board their 321LR
    But keep in mind that EI are not directly competing with TAP. Their main ‘competitors’ for loads are UA, BA, VS, AA and DL. (Obviously if/when the JV happens BA and AA will become partners)
    Also that TAP 5 may be equal to the actual cost of the EI 4, depends on salary, conditions etc.

Tenger wrote: »
    But keep in mind that EI are not directly competing with TAP. Their main ‘competitors’ for loads are UA, BA, VS, AA and DL. (Obviously if/when the JV happens BA and AA will become partners)
    Also that TAP 5 may be equal to the actual cost of the EI 4, depends on salary, conditions etc.

Yeah but loads wise Aer Lingus has more seats in the NEO than TAP. And 16 business class seats, with only one crew looking after on his/her own? Plus looking after pilots? Etc. if with 12 they struggle, 16 even worse. And before saying ‘ its only more 4 seats’, remember its a business class service, not an economy where everything is plated up and ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Yeah but loads wise Aer Lingus has more seats in the NEO than TAP. And 16 business class seats, with only one crew looking after on his/her own? Plus looking after pilots? Etc. if with 12 they struggle, 16 even worse. And before saying ‘ its only more 4 seats’, remember its a business class service, not an economy where everything is plated up and ready to go

Is it unreasonable to think that one of the 3 economy cabin crew could help during meal service in J? Y food service is not going to begin immediately, whereas with J the meal being served as soon as possible after takeoff is generally seen as a good thing. Once the mains for J are plated up they could return to Y where the first drink service will probably be in progress and one crew member could easily handle plating dessert for 16 and remaining drinks/service items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

This would be nice to have.

A321XLR-infografic.jpg?wid=991&fit=fit,1&qlt=85,0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement