Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman asked to move from pre-booked seat calls Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Picamix wrote: »
    No one would take it if you reserved it under Gary glitter

You should see some of the names that get used :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Picamix

It's rediciously overpriced travel anyway that everyone should be guaranteed a seat or first come first served basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dam099

Irish rail should only sell tickets up to the seating capacity of the train as seated, once these sell out the rest should be sold as standing so passengers buying them have no expectation of a seat. Maybe hold back a few seated for disabled & elderly passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Amazing debate going on here.

Some posters genuinely believe "waa waa I don't WAANNA MOVE" is a valid, adult response to "excuse me, you're sitting in my seat"?

"If I don't look at the ticket there's no proof yaaah yaah I can't hear you"?

The only reason Irish rail would need extra staff on the train is to lift childish seat hogs off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    You can sit there until the seat is claimed by someone who has proof that they have it booked , be it name above seat or on their ticket. Arguing against it is just looking for an excuse not to move and a bit petty.
    a ticket on its own isn't enough. irish rail have to do their bit to prove the seat is reserved by making it clear either using the electronic display, or via a written piece of paper with the relevant details

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Amazing debate going on here.

Some posters genuinely believe "waa waa I don't WAANNA MOVE" is a valid, adult response to "excuse me, you're sitting in my seat"?

"If I don't look at the ticket there's no proof yaaah yaah I can't hear you"?

The only reason Irish rail would need extra staff on the train is to lift childish seat hogs off it.
    no, they need another member of staff aboard all long distance trains because that is how it should be. such staff can be ticket checkers come deal with passenger issues rather then expecting the driver to deal with such issues. the driver has enough to do driving a train.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

A man should never ask a woman to get up to give him a seat anyway !

• Subscribers Posts: 41,279 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Because......?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

a ticket on its own isn't enough. irish rail have to do their bit to prove the seat is reserved by making it clear either using the electronic display, or via a written piece of paper with the relevant details

Still waiting for any evidence to backup that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

It is for the decent people travelling.

• Advertisement

no, they need another member of staff aboard all long distance trains because that is how it should be. such staff can be ticket checkers come deal with passenger issues rather then expecting the driver to deal with such issues. the driver has enough to do driving a train.

Or.... OR.... ORRR... the person who is sitting in someone else's seat, (who had that seat number on their ticket), could, instead of saying "waaaaah I don't WANNA MOVE", say "oh I'm sorry, the screen didn't show it reserved" and move.

Like a civilised, reasonable, grown up human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

just sent this to IR
    Hi,

I have a question about seat reservations on board trains.

If I don't have a reservation and sit in a seat which is NOT marked as reserved in any way do I have to move if another passenger arrives later showing a reserved ticket for the seat I'm sitting in?

if so why should any passenger be turfed out of their legitimately obtained seat and embarrassed in front of a carriage full of people when they have done nothing wrong?

I would never sit in a clearly marked reserved seat but often the reservation system is faulty or just not turned on at all, what should passengers do in these circumstances?

I would imagine that where the reservation system on board is faulty and no manual reservations have been placed on seats then all reservations for that service would be voided? Is this what happens?

please reply at your earliest convenience to my email address

Kindest Regards,

Basic common courtesy, the way I was rared

foggy_lad wrote: »
    just sent this to IR

"Dear Irish Rail, I want to act like a tosser. If I do it, will you throw me off the train?"

This is something you have to ask?

just sent this to IR

Excellent, it would be good to get a definitive answer rather than people posting opinions as facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Equality and all that yeh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Yes. A written piece of paper with the relevant details on it aka a ticket.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Yes. A written piece of paper with the relevant details on it aka a ticket.
    That is only valid as notification and proof for the ticket holder, for all the other passengers know it could be a forgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

That is only valid as notification and proof for the ticket holder, for all the other passengers know it could be a forgery.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

just sent this to IR

Grand. But you have stated that a reserved ticket with seat number does not qualify to lift you out of your 'first come, first served, I'm comfy here...where's me samwich' right to occupy - quite clearly - you've defended that with some air of actually believing what you are saying is fact. Far from this apologetic missive to IR.

Prebooked tickets are by there very nature reserved seating - they are also for that train - that time - that station and in most cases the overhead signs are working from when the train departs, regardless where the person is boarding.

Edit to add: What happened to common courtesy and decency?

• Advertisement

Fear not Foggy, I have done your homework for you.
    29. (1) No person shall occupy or use any compartment or seat in any vehicle on the railway upon which or in relation to which notice has been fixed or given by the Board that such compartment or seat is reserved, except the holder of a reservation ticket issued by the Board in respect of the holder's occupation or use of such compartment or seat.

(2) No person, except an authorised person, shall remove any notice or seat reservation label from any compartment or seat in, or any door or window of, any vehicle on the railway.

Source: Statutory Instrument 109/1984 - Coras Iompair Éireann Bye-Laws (Confirmation) Order, 1984.

Summary, you shouldn't occupuy a seat where a reserved notice is fixed.

Doesn't clarify if a passenger can be asked to move if they occupy a reserved seat that doesn't have such notice fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Ah come on now. You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Really?
    yes, if it was notification for other passengers it would have to be issued to them, or how are they to ever know? your ticket is your own but does not guarantee a seat and neither does any seat reservation.

basically IR are issuing reservation tickets to people but failing to notify other passengers that those seats are reserved. they are a disaster waiting to happen!

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34090835/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/police-man-fatally-stabbed-over-subway-seat/
    http://www.mid-day.com/articles/woman-slapped-over-window-seat-on-mumbai-train-rpf-turns-a-deaf-ear/15529187
    http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/latest-news-fight-over-train-seat-ends-death-of-two-passengers--32759.html
    http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/BART-passenger-zaps-man-in-seat-fight-4425030.php

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yes it is up to the person who booked a seat to seek another seat and if none are available they will get a refund for that leg of their journey, this would only be the case where seats were not marked as reserved though, otherwise the person should seek out a member of staff and have the trespasser removed from their reserved seat.

Even if the display is not working, a passanger who has a ticket for the train they are on with X seat number is open to ask the person seating in X seat to move.

Graham wrote: »
    Fear not Foggy, I have done your homework for you.
    Indeed you have, many thanks:D
    29. (1) No person shall occupy or use any compartment or seat in any vehicle on the railway upon which or in relation to which notice has been fixed or given by the Board that such compartment or seat is reserved, except the holder of a reservation ticket issued by the Board in respect of the holder's occupation or use of such compartment or seat.

(2) No person, except an authorised person, shall remove any notice or seat reservation label from any compartment or seat in, or any door or window of, any vehicle on the railway.
    Source: Statutory Instrument 109/1984 - Coras Iompair Éireann Bye-Laws (Confirmation) Order, 1984.

Summary, you shouldn't occupy a seat where a reserved notice is fixed.

Doesn't clarify if a passenger can be asked to move if they occupy a reserved seat that doesn't have such notice fixed.
    it seems like the seat is available to all if no notice is affixed.

monument wrote: »
    Even if the display is not working, a passanger who has a ticket for the train they are on with X seat number is open to ask the person seating in X seat to move.

+1

And it appears from the majority of posters here, the seat would be given to the passenger with the reservation without fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Graham wrote: »
    +1

And it appears from the majority of posters here, the seat would be given to the passenger with the reservation without fuss.

Unless they live in India, then they'd be thrown off the train.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

So you basically want a grown up in a uniform to come along and tell you that the guy with the ticket with the number of the seat you are already sitting in is the person who should actually be in the seat?

monument wrote: »
    yes they are open to ask but should not feel put out if they are met with a flat refusal. a seat without any reservation or other restriction placed on it is open to all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Note to all: if you want a rule on here to be enforced please do not respond to post where you think the rule has been broken. Report the post first so we're responding to a single post, not a debate between two or more people.

Do not reply to this post.

Advertisement