Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman asked to move from pre-booked seat calls Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It is reasonable to expect that such notice will be given/provided to all passengers by using electronic displays or paper notices or other ways but informing one single passenger of the seat reservation is not giving notice!
    29. (1) No person shall occupy or use any compartment or seat in any vehicle on the railway upon which or in relation to which notice has been fixed or given by the Board that such compartment or seat is reserved, except the holder of a reservation ticket issued by the Board in respect of the holder's occupation or use of such compartment or seat.

Notice must be given to anyone expected not to use or occupy the reserved seating(again only my interpretation)

Weird interpretation given that at no point does it 'notice must be given' or any such thing. You're interpreting something that isn't there. What it does say is that where notice is given no one can sit in that seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bur wrote: »
    Did they smell? That's how i can tell the FTP mutants from us normals.

Talk about complete ignorant nonsense

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

a ticket on its own isn't enough. irish rail have to do their bit to prove the seat is reserved by making it clear either using the electronic display, or via a written piece of paper with the relevant details

absolute trash man!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dm09 wrote: »
    So if the seat was notified as been reserved from connolly, how long after departure from connolly should the seat reservation be honoured?
    Reserved seats should be taken by the time the train leaves the station the reservation is from, if not then that seat is available to all passengers even if the passenger with the reservation boards at a later stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Reserved seats should be taken by the time the train leaves the station the reservation is from, if not then that seat is available to all passengers even if the passenger with the reservation boards at a later stop.

Incorrect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Foggy lad's opinion must be worth more than the cost of a reservation. He's the pat Kenny of train seats. Some may give out about him pontificating along with gay Byrne et al with their massive incomes, but in the end of the day, that's the value of the opinion. And the private sector of opinion, newstalk, has proven the point.

If I have a reservation for the seat he is in, but he voices his valuable opinion, I renege on my claim feeling alo the wiser and yet humbler from the experience. His opinion is worth more than a reservation for goodness sake!

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Foggy lad's opinion must be worth more than the cost of a reservation. He's the pat Kenny of train seats. Some may give out about him pontificating along with gay Byrne et al with their massive incomes, but in the end of the day, that's the value of the opinion. And the private sector of opinion, newstalk, has proven the point.

If I have a reservation for the seat he is in, but he voices his valuable opinion, I renege on my claim feeling alo the wiser and yet humbler from the experience. His opinion is worth more than a reservation for goodness sake!
    Regardless of opinions if I take any unreserved seat on any train I will not be moved from that seat and any attempt will involve serious delays to all other passengers as well as expense to Irish Rail.

Regardless of opinions if I take any unreserved seat on any train I will not be moved from that seat and any attempt will involve serious delays to all other passengers as well as expense to Irish Rail.

Nobody wishes to remove you from an unreserved seat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So the argument is still "I'm an asshole". Got it.

To reserve
    1. To keep back, as for future use or for a special purpose: The hospital reserves certain drugs for the most serious cases.
    2. To set or cause to be set apart for a particular person or use: reserved a seat on the next flight out. See Synonyms at book1.

So a reservation involves keeping something aside or set apart from the rest which IR are failing to do on some trains.

From the link you quoted earlier. Conveniently managed to leave out the definition in bold.

To reserve
    1. to keep back or set aside, esp for future use or contingency; withhold
    2. to keep for oneself; retain: I reserve the right to question these men later.
    3. to obtain or secure by advance arrangement I have reserved two tickets for tonight's show.

Going by the definition you did use if I have reserved a seat ie. caused it to be set aside, just because it was not set aside due to incompetence does not mean it is not reserved.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    From the link you quoted earlier. Conveniently managed to leave out the definition in bold.

To reserve
    3. to obtain or secure by advance arrangement

The seat is not obtained or secured until a notice is placed on it.

How else are passengers to know that the seat is reserved or not?

The seat is not obtained or secured until a notice is placed on it.

How else are passengers to know that the seat is reserved or not?

Who cares if you know it's reserved prior to sitting down, it is reserved and if I show you my ticket with my reserved seat on it I expect you to move. I don't think anyone would you for sitting in a reserved seat which was unmarked, however we would blame you for not moving when pointed out that the seat was actually reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So you basically want a grown up in a uniform to come along and tell you that the guy with the ticket with the number of the seat you are already sitting in is the person who should actually be in the seat?
    no, i want irish rail to do their job and make it clear to passengers if a seat is reserved by using their electronic displays or the good old way of a piece of paper on the window saying reserved and the relevant details. its not hard.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Graham wrote: »
    No notice required to move you Foggy, from the conditions of carriage:

Iarnród Éireann (in addition to its rights by common law, statute, contract or otherwise) reserves the right to assign to passengers the seats, which they are to occupy

A passenger shall not occupy a seat reserved for or assigned by Iarnród Éireann to another passenger.
    but if there is no notification to say the seat is reserved then that means nothing in terms of foggys point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I get on a plane - there's no notice to tell me a seat is reserved and I know the flight is not fully subscribed, is it ok to sit anywhere?

Weird interpretation given that at no point does it 'notice must be given' or any such thing. You're interpreting something that isn't there. What it does say is that where notice is given no one can sit in that seat.
    meaning that where the board gives no notice, one can sit in the seat

meaning that where the board gives no notice, one can sit in the seat

And once more incorrect, but do continue, you amuse us at this stage

Wang King wrote: »
    Incorrect
    no . continuously saying incorrect doesn't make you right.

To reserve

Going by the definition you did use if I have reserved a seat ie. caused it to be set aside, just because it was not set aside due to incompetence does not mean it is not reserved.
    well as no notice was given by the board, you can't be surprised if someone sits in it and doesn't wish to move. irish rail could deal with this by using the methods they can easily use to inform people of reserved seats. electronic displays or paper notifications on the windows of the seats.

Wang King wrote: »
    And once more incorrect, but do continue, you amuse us at this stage
    no i'm correct. the board hasn't given notice if they haven't marked the seat as reserved on the train either by electronic display or written paper

• Advertisement

well as no notice was given by the board, you can't be surprised if someone sits in it and doesn't wish to move. irish rail could deal with this by using the methods they can easily use to inform people of reserved seats. electronic displays or paper notifications on the windows of the seats.

Or, how about this.

People could show some manners and if it is pointed out - politely - to them that they are in a seat that is not allocated to them, they could move.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Or, how about this.

People could show some manners and if it is pointed out - politely - to them that they are in a seat that is not allocated to them, they could move.
    if there is evidence given by the board such as the relevant details on a piece of paper on the seat or window stating reserved, or on the electronic displays then absolutely. if no notice is given then not much can be done, its up to irish rail to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Nonsense like this just reminds me why I avoid public transport as much as possible.

When you can face arrest for politely asking someone to move from your pre-booked seat it's no surprise people favour driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I believe and feel any reasonable person will feel the same that the seat can not be considered reserved until such time that Irish Rail inform all passengers that the seat is reserved! how else are passengers going to know that it is reserved? we are not psychic.

What rot. If I get onto an aeroplane, there isn't a little sign above my seat saying "SRG sit here". I have a ticket, with a seat number on it, and I sit in that seat.

That's how I, and any reasonable person, knows it's my seat.

if there is evidence given by the board such as the relevant details on a piece of paper on the seat or window stating reserved, or on the electronic displays then absolutely. if no notice is given then not much can be done, its up to irish rail to sort it out.

Wow, you really have a thing for IE........

It really is just a matter of manners. If someone comes up and politely says "excuse me, but I think you're in my seat." and then shows you their ticket, then you should move.

If the aggrieved person objects then they should've booked a seat themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

What rot. If I get onto an aeroplane, there isn't a little sign above my seat saying "SRG sit here". I have a ticket, with a seat number on it, and I sit in that seat.

That example isn't really the same though because on a plane everyone has a ticket with the number of their seat on it. If it was the case that only some plane passengers had an allocated seat i'm sure, indeed i would expect the airlines would get it together enough to display the reserved seats.

no . continuously saying incorrect doesn't make you right.

Still incorrect,

no i'm correct. the board hasn't given notice if they haven't marked the seat as reserved on the train either by electronic display or written paper

So wrong it is now bordering Through the Looking Glass territory

Mrsmum wrote: »
    That example isn't really the same though because on a plane everyone has a ticket with the number of their seat on it. If it was the case that only some plane passengers had an allocated seat i'm sure, indeed i would expect the airlines would get it together enough to display the reserved seats.

As I said above - what if the flight is under-subscribed and I know it's under-subscribed. I get on the plane and I know not all the seats are booked but I don't know which ones are......

........by EotR's logic because the airline has not placed a sign / note (electronic or otherwise) on the seat I should be free to sit anywhere?

• Advertisement

were not talking about planes. why do people bring up planes when they have nothing to do with the conversation? were talking about trains, which have a different system and rules

Advertisement