Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest moment on TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thread needs more spoilers god damnit.

:mad:

Dexter :
    Rita's death cos it so unexpected.

Oz :
    Kareem Said's death. You could never bank on anyone living but his murder really hit me.

This one really got to me many years ago.

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Scrubs where 6 patients die from an outbreak of rabies and Dr.Cox has a breakdown was a great episode.

This episode just happened to be on the TV at 9:30 tonight, incredible acting have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Homer leaving his mother to the hippie bus and gazing at the stars after for the credits is my pick. The music just hits you in the right spot. To see it go from that to Ricky Gervais guest appearances really hurts the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

This episode just happened to be on the TV at 9:30 tonight, incredible acting have to say

watching classic scrubs currently on netflix at the moment and last while..what episode is that the one where he goes off drinking and turns up drunk for work? ah sure ill google it

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Ireland playing rugby in Croke Park

http://youtu.be/_6_UsZtHiXU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

fixed for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

**** it, i'm gonna say it: Dawson's dad dying in Dawson's Creek. My mates still tear the **** out of me for watching it all those years ago....not now of course.......

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

The part of the English Patient where he betrays all the humanism he holds dearest, to rescue the injured woman from the cave of swimmers. There is no sound but a haunting soundtrack and his emotional torture evident as he carries her in tears apparently sleeping from the grotto. Despite surviving a while longer, it was merely a brief postponement, he had joined her at that very moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

i remember the ep in OZ where cyrill o reilly was going to get the chair,hit me right in the feels. 'w-whats happuning wyan'?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

Saddest moment has to be when in Only Fools and Horses just after Rodneys wedding reception and Del is left in the function room by himself with Simply Red playing. Anyone who has ever felt lonely at any point in their life will know the emotions that scene stirs up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

doubledown wrote: »
    AJ's
    attempted suicide
    in The Sopranos still leaves me teary-eyed.

It was so stark, realistic, pathetic and heartbreaking. The bit where Tony goes from yelling at him to stroking his hair and calling him his baby just destroys me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdq_EfSfhrg

Another great scene between the two of them is after AJ has tried to get 'revenge' when visiting Tony's uncle in the retirement home. Tony has to come to the police station to get him, and wants to be angry, but also knows that he has made AJ what he is and knows his influence has made AJ want to do what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

What's sad about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

In terms of fiction, for me it is between Dumbo and his Mother while she is incarcerated or when Little Foot's mother dies. Heart wrenching.

The saddest moment I can remember seeing is the people jumping from the buildings on 9-11, or the death on camera of Neda during the aborted Green Revolution in Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Thought I'd be first to mention Watership Down, especially the bit where the ghost rabbit is floating around. As a child they used to make us watch that in school and I always dreaded it as I knew I would be crying, and of course I didn't want to cry on front of everyone!

Strangely the Blackadder "moment" didn't affect me the way it did most people.

The end of "Big Fish", when all his friends from his stories come out to send him off.

Lots of "I Am Sam". (though he should've never gone full retard)

Forrest Gump - damn that movie. The bit where he meets his son and asks Jenny is he "like him". Also when he's talking to her grave. Jesus!

F**king Titanic - the very end when she dreams (dies?) and everyone from the story is back on the ship. I can see that now no problem but in the cinema it was "sh*te!"

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st4INYATIqc (I'm not even gonna describe it)

The Office when Brent breaks down asking not to be made redundant.

1998 Reeling In The Years footage of the Omagh bombing with "Teardrop" by Massive Attack playing - I just Googled that and it actually made me well up just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

zzfh wrote: »
    i remember the ep in OZ where cyrill o reilly was going to get the chair,hit me right in the feels. 'w-whats happuning wyan'?

I forgot all about that. What an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Fry's dog in Futurama.

ACANDROID wrote: »
    Saddest moment has to be when in Only Fools and Horses just after Rodneys wedding reception and Del is left in the function room by himself with Simply Red playing. Anyone who has ever felt lonely at any point in their life will know the emotions that scene stirs up.

This is a great shout.

It's 'Holding Back the Years' by Simply Red. It's the "end of an era" that particular scene had. Very poignant.

This one gets me every time. Heart-breaking and inspiring at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

The end of "Big Fish", when all his friends from his stories come out to send him off.
    What a scene! This moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Anything involving animals.
    They can kill off people in Game of Thrones but leave the direwolves out of it!
    Also Dumbo needing his mum as mentioned previously.

And this one stuck a chord at the time, when Edna in Emmerdale had to put her beloved companion Batley the dog to sleep. That little fellow knocked it out of the park with his acting!! Think he even won an award for best exit

http://youtu.be/Lg63EU_Ulcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

One of the Short Circuit films when Johnny Five gets the crap beaten out of him by a couple of guys with baseball bats.

A few friends and I were actually having a conversation recently discussing how bizarre it is that you could see people being decapitated and starving to death on tv and it never really having an effect on you but a fake robot called Johnny gets beaten up and it scars you for life!

The dog killing scene in the horror movie The Babadook is probably the only thing that's come close since.

I have to admit it.....

(though to be more exact, it was the bit where they find his hat, and I'd been reading about Ellis Island beforehand....)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭weadick

One of the last Late Late Show episodes when it was still presented by Byrne. As usual there was a win a car competition and gay asked the woman who won why she didn't sound happy. She said it was because her daughter had been killed in a road accident the previous night. It was an incredibly sad but moving TV moment that has somehow been forgotten. Gaybo managed to turn an awful situation into something extremely powerful. Still sticks in my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

When 'Bright Eyes' the rabbit dies in Watership Down or when they send 'Boxer' the cart horse to the glue factory in Animal Farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

weadick wrote: »
    One of the last Late Late Show episodes when it was still presented by Byrne. As usual there was a win a car competition and gay asked the woman who won why she didn't sound happy. She said it was because her daughter had been killed in a road accident the previous night. It was an incredibly sad but moving TV moment that has somehow been forgotten. Gaybo managed to turn an awful situation into something extremely powerful. Still sticks in my memory.

Gay was interviewed by Ryan Tubridy on this, shows the clip as well. Handled it so well.

Sorry, the only link I can find.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cd0_1343699729&comments=1

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

When the Sherrif won't let John Rambo into town and sends him packing. The injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

May have been posted already but this has got to be one of the saddest in TV show history, excellent acting from Paul Whitehouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

jonon9 wrote: »
    May have been posted already but this has got to be one of the saddest in TV show history, excellent acting from Paul Whitehouse

awh poor Rowley, never seen that side to him before :(

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

The Bell Tower scene near the end of In Bruges, a combination of Brendan Gleeson's acting and Luke Kelly's version of On Raglan Road. Also, the end of Pan's Labyrinth and the book scene at the end of The Lives of Others.

• Advertisement

Mufasas death in The Lion King. I remember sitting on my dads knee in the cinema, breaking my heart crying :(

Advertisement