Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest moment on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

the bridges of Madison county , when she doesn't get out of the truck . he wants her to go to him, he puts the chain she gave him on his mirror where she can see it, the lights are green , he is waiting . her hand is on the door to go , still she doesn't go to him. he waits , she cries , he goes, out of her life forever, she is heartbroken . i cry every time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

For anyone who ever had a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The Anime: Wolf's Rain...
    They all die!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Saddest 'fictional' moment was when Mark Harmon was shot dead in West Wing and they played Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

A lot of the ones I'd have listed have already been mention but +1 to this one...
    Adamantium wrote: »
    Battlestar Galactica.
    Laura's last few minutes on the grass plains of Africa watching the wildlife, Adama burying her, and the last shot of him sitting next to her grave talking to her on the hillside as the music soars.

"I laid out the cabin today. It's gonna have an easterly view. You should see the light that we get here, when the sun comes from behind those mountains. It's almost heavenly. It reminds me of you."

That scene made my wife - who only 2 months earlier I had convince to sit down and watch the BSG mini-series - cry her eyes out... at which point I did a little dance and said "told you you'd cry at the end, boom!" :p Sci-fi can be wonderful.

Only Fools and Horses had some fantastic moments too...
    - Del with his new born son looking out the window talking to his dead Mum. Another baby related one is Cassandra losing the baby.
    - Del taking the beating from the money-leaders rather than let Rodney down.
    - When Granddad died

So many moments in Gevais's show, Derek too
    - Putting the dog down
    - The scene where he at first ignores his Dad who abandoned him and then chases after him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

im amazed nobody threw this in yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Only up to page 6, but can I suggest more spoiler tags please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

That's a really good scene: the way Carlton hasn't a clue about racism and thinks the cops were just having a bad day.

I only saw it for the first time recently. It's a very powerful scene. Carlton's dad is a lawyer, they have a butler and they're obviously solidly upper middle class. But then the cops can cut them right down to size. It really struck me how relevant that still is today, given the racial tension still ongoing in America. Its not something I expected to be hit with in a show like that. Its a scene that really stayed with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Sons of Anarchy - when Opie died.

And we have a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

lazygal wrote: »
    I only saw it for the first time recently. It's a very powerful scene. Carlton's dad is a lawyer, they have a butler and they're obviously solidly upper middle class. But then the cops can cut them right down to size. It really struck me how relevant that still is today, given the racial tension still ongoing in America. Its not something I expected to be hit with in a show like that. Its a scene that really stayed with me.

Also the episode where Will's Dad walks out on him and Will cockily brushing it off to Uncle Phil, then breaking down.

Powerful stuff for a light hearted show.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Michael and Dukie's last scene together in the wire.

The ending of breaking bad.

Yes. Incredible stuff. The Wire is a work of art, I can't wait for when it has to be studied in schools. It transcends TV drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

The ending of Pilgrim Hill, film about rural isolation and a lonely farmer, it just ruined me.

The Mission
    when Fr Gabriel (Jeremy Irons) was gunned down :(

The death of Ayrton Senna, taking into consideration how uneasy he was about getting into the car with the death of Roland Ratzenberger the previous day.

Band of Brothers ending has gotten a few mentions but the penultimate (I think?) episode where
    they discover the concentration camp....Christ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

im amazed nobody threw this in yet

I hated the show for half my childhood actually because one of the first scenes i saw was that and Mr. Bean standing there crying. Took me quite a long time to like the show after that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Might be an idea for everyone to spoiler tag from here on in. Already got quite a bit more ruined on me than i'd planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Also, the 1963 episode of Reeling In The Years. It was on not so long ago and it showed JFK arriving in Dallas. The music being played over the scenes of that fateful day was "You'll Never Walk Alone" by Gerry and the Pacemakers. Heart-wrenching.

Made all the worse by the fact that my mother and her family basically worshipped the Kennedy family, and part of it rubbed off on me. It was such a sad and awful time in history and probably altered the course of mankind for the worse when Kennedy was assassinated.

When those scenes came up on the screen, I'm not going to lie, I got all teary and upset at it.

Also, the 1963 episode of Reeling In The Years. It was on not so long ago and it showed JFK arriving in Dallas. The music being played over the scenes of that fateful day was "You'll Never Walk Alone" by Gerry and the Pacemakers. Heart-wrenching.

Made all the worse by the fact that my mother and her family basically worshipped the Kennedy family, and part of it rubbed off on me. It was such a sad and awful time in history and probably altered the course of mankind for the worse when Kennedy was assassinated.

When those scenes came up on the screen, I'm not going to lie, I got all teary and upset at it.

You should read Stephen King's 22./11/1963!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

Feck yis anyway. I've just rewatched the Queen of Sheba and now I have a tear-stained face, puffy red eyes and no housework done.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Twink pleading for the return of her beloved dog Teddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Fiction:
    Ending of Blackadder is right up there.

Non-fiction:
    some of the footage of Hillsborough and the aftermath was just devastating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I found One Million Dubliners really really sad. (I wont spoil it on folk).

Left me in tears

:-(

Another one. The CCTV footage of James Bulger being led away by the two boys who killed him. Anytime I see it I have to change the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

AJ's
    attempted suicide
    in The Sopranos still leaves me teary-eyed.

It was so stark, realistic, pathetic and heartbreaking. The bit where Tony goes from yelling at him to stroking his hair and calling him his baby just destroys me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdq_EfSfhrg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

The Shield 'Family Meeting'. Very upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I watched this show once with Danny Dyer, where he was in this football stadium to witness (in his words) a ridiculously dangerous goal celebration (I think it was gremio in brazil).
    Celebration took place - Danny, being the well ard geeza that he is, escaped unscathed - it was heart breaking.
    I'd foolishly let my imagination run wild and had already mentally moved into a post dyer world only to be yanked back to reality.
    Jesus, I hate Danny Dyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,320 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Adama: "APOLLO!, pull back, we are sending in Rescue Vipers!"

Apollo: "No dad, don't......don't bother.....her ship's....her ship's in pieces.."

*Cut to Adama smashing his model ship in grief*

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Everything I watched while pregnant:

I bawled at Gran Torino. Not the sad bits, the normal bits. Because Clint Eastwood reminded me of someone who didn't look like him at all. In the slightest.

Fcuking hormones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The tribute on RTE news for Colm Murray last year had me in floods. He was such a great broadcaster and was truly inspirational in how he continued to work and highlight such a terrible disease once diagnosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

noodler wrote: »
    Adama: "APOLLO!, pull back, we are sending in Rescue Vipers!"

Apollo: "No dad, don't......don't bother.....her ship's....her ship's in pieces.."

*Cut to Adama smashing his model ship in grief*

I keep askng myself what is the best television show ever made, the wire?the west wing?breaking bad?the sopranos?peep show? The Simpsons? All masterpieces of modern tv but I always keep coming back to battlestar galactica, it really has everything, it's full of emotion and tells a very human story from point A to B where I always found myself completely wired Into to how each character deals with their own trials and tribulations, I'd recommend it to anybody reading this even if Sci fi isn't your default preference. The score alone composed by bear mccreary is beautiful and has a lot of Gaelic influence put into it, the music alone will get you tear-ey eyed.
    http://youtu.be/DZdS2KKvwVo

• Advertisement

When Forrest Gump is telling Jenny about the beautiful sights he witnessed on his adventures and she says " I wish I could have been there with you" to which he replies "You were"

Advertisement